The Classic Dilemma - Upgrade or Wait

Do I upgrade the P3P now or wait for the P5?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I'm going through the age-old dilemma now... I currently have a Phantom 3 Pro. It's served me nobly for around 2 years now. My biggest complaint with the P3P though is that it has lots of compression artifacts in 4K video and I could also use higher quality RAW pictures. It also wouldn't hurt to have 4K@60FPS. Since I do professional work with this drone, I also feel like the cost is justified for the improvement in quality.

So last week I ordered a P4P and it arrives today.

BUT... now I've started seeing rumors bubble up about a P5. Rumors I've seen puts a potential launch date at mid-May. Normally I'd just send this drone back and patiently wait to see how the next month pans out but I have two big international trips coming up... Mexico and Scotland... and I'd really love the extra image quality for the two largest trips I'll take all year.

So... I turn my question over to you all... Would you send back the P4P and wait this generation out to see what the P5 has, using the P3P for the trips? Would you keep the P4P over the P3P and hope that the big improvements in the next generation are minor?

I think I'd be OK with my drone being a last-gen model as long as I didn't miss out on a big improvement on optics but I don't see how they'd come out with a better camera this soon...

Anyways, thanks for the feedback!

I would def keep the P4P is you are traveling next month. Camera is pretty awesome especially coming from a P3P. Then if you want to sell the P4P later this year and move up the the 5. I will be keeping my P4P for a backup I believe. Unless, I get a wild hair and need to be more portable with hiking trips ect. Then I would order a Mavic for a backup. I'm really looking forward to the new Crystal Sky Monitor that hopefully I am gonna see in person released in two weeks at the NAB show in Vegas!

Thanks for the feedback. That's definitely what I'm leaning towards but didn't know if anyone had either heard credible rumors of an improved sensor or didn't find the P4P worth the upgrade. Glad to see it sounds like the upgrade should be worth it! It's sitting on my counter top begging me to unbox it.

Thanks for the feedback. That's definitely what I'm leaning towards but didn't know if anyone had either heard credible rumors of an improved sensor or didn't find the P4P worth the upgrade. Glad to see it sounds like the upgrade should be worth it! It's sitting on my counter top begging me to unbox it.
Oh you'll be very happy moving up to it from P3P! Tear it open and get it charging dude!

Just noticed that you are in Cincinnati. Do you do some flying over the river and bridges there to shoot the awesome Cincy skyline?

Last edited:
Reactions: davemex
BUT... now I've started seeing rumors bubble up about a P5. Rumors I've seen puts a potential launch date at mid-May. Normally I'd just send this drone back and patiently wait to see how the next month pans out but I have two big international trips coming up... Mexico and Scotland... and I'd really love the extra image quality for the two largest trips I'll take all year.
The rumours you've seen are very poor hoaxes that seem to be taking in a few gullible people.
Look closely and you can tell they are garbage.
Point me towards one and I'll show you the indications.

If the P4 pro does what you want, grab it.
It's a huge jump from your P3 in the camera department and when a new model arrives it's unlikely to be be much improved photographically.

Just noticed that you are in Cincinnati. Do you do some flying over the river and bridges there to shoot the awesome Cincy skyline?

Yep! Some great urban scenery here. Looking forward to doing more with the P4P now!

This was before I really knew much about editing or color grading but features a lot of downtown:

And of course we also have the cool stadiums:
Cincinnati Night - Retouch Small.jpg

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Small world. I clicked on your post because I'm in basically the same dilemma (though i only have a P3S and haven't actually purchased a P4P yet*). The small part is that I also live in the Cincinnati area (took my 107 test last month at Lunkin). I haven't shot too much aerial stuff since moving here but have been meaning to/need to!

Small world. I clicked on your post because I'm in basically the same dilemma (though i only have a P3S and haven't actually purchased a P4P yet*). The small part is that I also live in the Cincinnati area (took my 107 test last month at Lunkin). I haven't shot too much aerial stuff since moving here but have been meaning to/need to!

Yeah I think this convinced me to open it up.

Also took my 107 at Lunken! Hah. Very small world indeed!

Yep! Some great urban scenery here. Looking forward to doing more with the P4P now!

This was before I really knew much about editing or color grading but features a lot of downtown:

And of course we also have the cool stadiums:
View attachment 80304
Looks awesome man. Wish I lived closer to a neat skyline like that. Louisville is an hour and half away and Cincy is over 2 hours for me. So have you guys already applied for a waiver to fly at night?

Keep the P4P now and sell the P3P. Then wait until the P5P to come out and sell P4P. This way, you did not miss out on anything. Technology is constantly changing. No point in waiting for the latest and the greatest.

Reactions: Ade5 and davemex
Looks awesome man. Wish I lived closer to a neat skyline like that. Louisville is an hour and half away and Cincy is over 2 hours for me. So have you guys already applied for a waiver to fly at night?
I took that pic before all the regulations got hammered out and before the 107 existed. Gonna be a pain in the *** to ever get a pic like that again!

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Hey everyone,

So I'm going through the age-old dilemma now... I currently have a Phantom 3 Pro. It's served me nobly for around 2 years now. My biggest complaint with the P3P though is that it has lots of compression artifacts in 4K video and I could also use higher quality RAW pictures. It also wouldn't hurt to have 4K@60FPS. Since I do professional work with this drone, I also feel like the cost is justified for the improvement in quality.

So last week I ordered a P4P and it arrives today.

So... I turn my question over to you all... Would you send back the P4P and wait this generation out to see what the P5 has, using the P3P for the trips? Would you keep the P4P over the P3P and hope that the big improvements in the next generation are minor?

I think I'd be OK with my drone being a last-gen model as long as I didn't miss out on a big improvement on optics but I don't see how they'd come out with a better camera this soon...

Anyways, thanks for the feedback!

As soon as one model hits the market the engineers are designing the next (or completing a design under way).

I believe there's going to be a Phantom/Mavic merge.

Make the Phantom more portable, less "high" on its gear and folding props.

Or make the Phantic a little bigger than the Mavic to carry a P4P "class" camera (or better) while not compromising portability or endurance/range much.

Maybe the new Mavtom will have lower but retractable gear and a panning gimbal?

Surely the Mavic is such a huge departure in drone design that DJI will apply as much as possible to whatever comes next in all departments.

Whatever it is ... even if you wait it out, there will be another one in the design queue the next minute - if not before.

Any improvement in camera is going to come with a weight penalty - more/better glass, bigger sensor = larger body etc so I don't see much happening there - that's where the Inspire sits in the marketplace. Besides, making their 'flagship' Phantom obsolete less than 6 months after launch is a terrible way to run a business.

Phantom 5? maybe but don't expect a 4 Pro beater just yet. All we've got so far are rumours and people's wish lists.

What if the Phantom 5 is a smaller, lighter, entry level drone? They are still selling the P3 and that's getting a little old in the tooth - they could replace it with a new budget model to get ahead of competitors in that lucrative section of the market.

The P4P is a superb piece of kit and the camera is as good as everyone says :)

DJI have stated that they are not adverse to canibalization of other products. Any left over inventory is quickly liquidated via the usual suspects (BestBuy, Amazon, etc.).

DJI have stated that they are not adverse to canibalization of other products. Any left over inventory is quickly liquidated via the usual suspects (BestBuy, Amazon, etc.).

From all reports though, the P4 Pro and the Mavic are selling as fast as DJI can manufacture them, they are still instructing dealers not to discount them (and penalising those that do) or offer customers deals. No other manufacturers are currently offering any real competition to these models - selling an upgraded version doesn't make a lot of sense when you are way ahead of the competitoon and undermining sales of either model isn't something a company like DJI will want to do - I suspect they will be looking at different sectors of the market

davemex - do you want me to upload a couple of raw files to my server from my p4p for you to have a look at/play with to give an idea of what you can expect :)

davemex - do you want me to upload a couple of raw files to my server from my p4p for you to have a look at/play with to give an idea of what you can expect :)

I really appreciate the offer but you all have convinced me. The P4P is unpacked, charged, and updated. Camera has been configured. ND filters arrived and are ready to go for this super sunny Cincinnati day.

I have a real estate gig this afternoon. Going to take the P3P and the P4P and duplicate the shots. It'll be great to see the side by sides!

I took that pic before all the regulations got hammered out and before the 107 existed. Gonna be a pain in the *** to ever get a pic like that again!
Yeah this regulation needs to come off the books if you are a 107. Night time flying provides some of the most impactful commercial shots that companies would love imo! But I have heard that it's taking anywhere from a few weeks to several months to get the waiver to fly at night. And oddly I think it's called a daytime waiver! WTH! lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4