The Best SunShade Out There!

Support isn't mandatory. But I would assume "we" are his market. There just seem to be plenty of folk on here quick to knock him for giving it a good go to create a solution. Maybe when you perceive to have a good idea, you too will want "support" .. ???

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Like I said before it looks to be a very well made product. The mounting system looks fantastic...I wish my Hoodman came with something like that instead of the straps. Everything about it looks to be well thought out and made to last, but....
as many have found out, the three sided hoods shaped like this one, or the dji , or any of the knockoffs do next to nothing to actually reduce glare.
Of the big name shades, the padhat at least tries to accomplish its intended purpose by using an angle to block glare. Its somewhat effective. The hoodman completely eliminates glare but its a bit extreme for some.
The hood talked about here is far too 'open' to make any difference in extreme conditions. But some may be happy with what it does.
If you read some of the threads around here you will see some posters complaining that their ipad mini 4 is worthless in the sun, while other posters say that the mini 4 is perfect even without a hood.

Reactions: Zuzua
Hi joeruby,

Quick question for you. How long does it take for your eyes to readjust after putting the hood back down again? I know when I leave the movies and walk into the lobby, it takes my eyes mins to readjust to my surrounding again. Maybe because I am "old" LOL

I'm not joeruby but I can tell you there is no wait time for my eyes to readjust. Its a lot different scenario than sitting for a couple hours in a dark theater then hitting the sun light.
I can look up and back down into the hoodman as many times as I like...no problems.

I'm not joeruby but I can tell you there is no wait time for my eyes to readjust. Its a lot different scenario than sitting for a couple hours in a dark theater then hitting the sun light.
I can look up and back down into the hoodman as many times as I like...no problems.

Yes, you are probably right about that. I always smirk when I watch NFL games and watch the 90 sec answer after they "go under the hood" for a call. I guess I am old school and just prefer the shade.

Although that Hoodman you show would get rid of all reflections, I wouldn't like it because I need to touch the iPad screen to tilt the camera and take photos. Wouldn't this long extended hood prevent that?

...hmmmmm, hate to disagree; but after endless research I have found the HOODMAN AVIATOR series to be THE BEST sunshade on the market for seeing a monitor screen in bright sunlight:
View attachment 59055
...the problem with all open-sided shades is they do not eliminate the reflections from the screen - only when ALL sides are blacked out and your face blocks the top opening will you see a glare-free screen with zero refections - it's just simple physics. (...further endorsement: if you see the NFL referees reviewing a play on the field at a video booth, they will be using a HOODMAN product.)

...some other reflection-fighting tips:
• I've placed a slightly matte screen protector on my iPad screen to dull the sharpness of reflections - way less distracting than sharp reflections.
• I always try to wear black shirts/jackets/hats/ninja-face-wrap ;) and keep my background as dark as possible to reduce any bright reflections (...find an operating position that has shade at your back)
• if I am in a situation that's appropriate for sitting, I've found a very effective fold-up chair by Renneto that has a fantastic awning system to block sun from many directions, yet still gives you a clear shot to track your drone with your eyes:
View attachment 59059

Although that Hoodman you show would get rid of all reflections, I wouldn't like it because I need to touch the iPad screen to tilt the camera and take photos. Wouldn't this long extended hood prevent that?

Hi, it has a slit at the bottom whet you can slide your hand through to touch the screen. Btw, why wouldn't you use the gimbal wheel to tilt camera and use the shutter button to take pictures?

Thank you Jbwill If every one at least tried this Sunshade once, everybody would know that this is the best $$$ spent on a flying.

There is alot of drone stuff ,made that is useless. Like I got a 3D
accessory for my controller. Suppose to hold your sticks in place with rubber bands. A total waste of $$$.

When I flew privately, I always had the best in sunglasses. $$$ is not the issue here. When I saw Stacy Cobb's SunShade, the all mighty dollar did not play in my purchase of this. Mr. Cobb has pulled all stops out in making this "masterpiece"

Yes, I take this hobby seriously and I make sure I am using the best that is out there.

So please everyone who has spent $$$ on this hobby, get a sunshade for your controller. It would be a very wise investment for you and the folks and objects below you.

I just haven't found any of the the three sided shades effective, as you do get a lot of reflection from the bottom. The only one that has worked for me is the hoodman, as bulky as it may be!!

Hi joeruby,

Quick question for you. How long does it take for your eyes to readjust after putting the hood back down again? I know when I leave the movies and walk into the lobby, it takes my eyes mins to readjust to my surrounding again. Maybe because I am "old" LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am 79 years old too. My eyes adjust almost immediately, because I run the Samsung Galaxy tab S2 at full brightness, so it is almost as bright on the screen as it is outside. Not at all like a darkened movie theater. The shade completely eliminates all sunlight and reflections when you have you head up against the hoodman. It is soft, flexible and fits great around your face, touching your face and allows room for glasses. It is a bit large, but with my 9.7 inch tablet it is well worth it. I am able to get completely immersed in my FPV flight

Reactions: Zuzua
Sorry about that Zuzua. I personally hate "bulky" I have a Pro 12.9 as well and it is too heavy to use flying my drone. My 9.7 is just fine and use it only for flying. Like I said before, I am old school and my SunShade from Stacy suits me quite well.

Reactions: ICULookin and Zuzua
The hoodman aviator has been the best sunshade I have used by far and I have used them all. I had a 3 d printed sunshade from ariealdroneaccesssories and 1 of the hinges broke about 1 minute after I received it in the mail. Very disappointed after spending $95 dollars . I recommend the hoodman !!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Did you email Stacy and tell him the problem? It has a 6 month warranty as well. I am positive he would of mailed you a new one.
right away.

Stacy I really appreciate you reaching out . That shows the type of business person you are . Guys like you seem to be harder to find these days. I no longer have that shade and to be honest I used it with 1 hinge and it worked fine and I would probably still be using it if I hadn't come across the aviator. I'm currently using one of your other shades for my galaxy s7 edge for my osmo. It's actually designed for the iPhone 6 Plus but it works perfectly for my edge 7. I'm still a huge fan of your stuff and always will be. Thank you for your offer I really appreciate it.

Reactions: Loomster
I'm so sorry you had this problem. Lets set up for you to get your money back. By the way we are now machining all of our sunshades for the iPad Line up which eliminates the problem that you experienced. We found that 3D printing could never be reliable on certain parts like the hinges. The strength varied greatly between every roll of filament. I learned and adjusted and now what we are making is very strong and of course I feel like it is the best design out there. I sent you a PM in case you didn't get this. I really do want to make sure you are taken care of.

Kudos to you Stacy!! I knew in my heart that you are a man of your word!!

Seems like Jake and Stacy are two of a kind.

Hey guys... Let's give Stacy a break??... He rightly believes in his product. He offers his word on a money back promise if one isn't happy. You can't say fairer than that? He's asking for feedback so if it needs change/improvement he wants to listen. There's not many out there that want to listen and "action". I'm in the UK and have no affiliation with Stacy whatsoever but have ordered from him this afternoon (after reading this thread) the guy deserves a break and "us" the users to give him support. If those who have hoodman loyalty, fair enough but one shouldn't knock anyone for giving it there best shot at trying to give a best product and make a living... We are all trying to do the same in what ever we do. Endith the lesson [emoji120]

That's not totally true. I bought mine from Stacy in February... Didn't get what I ordered after waiting nearly 8 weeks for it to arrive. He followed up immediately and said he would make it right, by sending me what I wanted. Today, he still hasn't done what he said he would.

Also the Master Sunshade I got was missing hardware, and had the wrong mount.

I promised I would give a fair review of Stacey's hood;
Well the wait was worth it! It has a "little bit" of an unfinished, naked plastic agricultural type feel/material look about it, (maybe a lick of spray paint could make it more "consumer/hobbyist" cosmetic pleasing...but in no way does that effect its performance.
In saying that it looks more "professional/industrial rather than Hong Kong plastic...

Near perfect sun glare blocking, (98%)

VERY easy access to the all important functions buttons on the iPad, apart from being able to access iPad AirPlay bottom swipe up.
No more putting your arm up a cows arse to touch screen!

Good sturdy construction.
I made a mistake by not understanding Stacy doesn't supply the alloy mount bracket to replace the flimsy dji plastic mount, which worries me a little as it now feels at its limit with Stacys hood and iPad. But that doesn't effect the excellent build design of the hood.
Stacy has promised to help me sort that issue out.
The clever design secures the iPad without the need of fiddly brackets. Very very clever design! Best to Watch his video to understand what I mean, but no more worries of iPad slipping out when doing the calibration dance/battery change/tie shoe laces/lighting a cigarette!
All said and done, one may say it's an expensive "accessory" but for me I feel I spent my money wisely and feel I've paid fair money for a very clever design that's robust and does its job perfectly made by someone who clearly understands what was needed . Well done Stacy. No more headaches for me from screen glare!
(Just for record I have no connection with Stacy (I'm in the UK) just giving my opinion and honest review.

I'm looking for complete light block out, whenever i buy a sunshade you can always see my face on the screen.

How will this^ design stop the light bouncing of my face onto the ipad screen ?

So....I'm running Airpad 2 and changing soon to a K1 Nvidia. Would I be better off waiting before ordering one of these?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20