The Best Portable Storage Solution

Reaction score
For anyone looking for a portable storage drive I would highly recommend the SanDisk Extreme 500 External SSD. It is slim and fast, perfect for anyone traveling. Transferring large video files with this drive is a breeze.

Offloading files after flying is also a good idea in case you lose your drone, at least you can save the footage.

Not only is it a practical drive, it's on sale right now making it a no brainer to pick up. A 480GB drive that originally retails for about $250 is $134 on Amazon. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZYNHDT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xaOdybE0NN7FF

If you plan on buying it and want to see a quick review, check out this video I made testing it out:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hopefully this helped.

Is it not expensive? I saw other brands of 3TB at Frys much cheaper. What did I miss?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Is it not expensive? I saw other brands of 3TB at Frys much cheaper. What did I miss?

It is a Solid State Drive with transfer speeds of around 430mb/s. I was able to transfer around 10gb of files in 30 seconds. It's really fast with no moving parts.

The 3tb drive your talking about is a standard hard drive. The one the OP linked is a SSD drive which is super fast compared to your typical standard HD. It also does not have any moving parts. SSD Solid State Drive

It's speed is also ultra fast 5GB/sec. good enough transfer speed.

For the same money you get much higher storage capacity. Also solid state devices may be good for directly connectivity on the bus but when you transfer data through USB, all advantageous are lost.

Last edited:
It's speed is also ultra fast 5GB/sec. good enough transfer speed.

For the same money you get much higher storage capacity. Also solid state devices may be good for directly connectivity on the bus but when you transfer data through USB, all advantageous are lost.

That transfer speed listed is standard USB 3.0 transfer speeds not how fast the hard drive can transfer. The drives transfer speeds are read and write speeds of109.1MB/s and 108.8MB/s. The SSD above is 365mbs read and 300 write.

I like the idea of the ssd but for me extra storage these days needs to be 3 to 4tb for all of our maps. It'll be nice when they can run a 8tb ssd :)

The SSD speed advantage is of little consequence to the extent it exceeds SD read and/or USB bus speed as applicable.

I'm happy to pay the premium for storage connected directly to the system bus or thunderbolt, USB C etc. in this application larger storage conventional drives provide a more useful solution with significantly reduced cost per MB..

The SSD speed advantage is of little consequence to the extent it exceeds SD read and/or USB bus speed as applicable.

I'm happy to pay the premium for storage connected directly to the system bus or thunderbolt, USB C etc. in this application larger storage conventional drives provide a more useful solution with significantly reduced cost per MB..

I was not pointing out that the SSD was a better solution in this case just explaining the difference in cost and that those specs given were for the USB 3.0 not the drive itself.

This forum is so wonderful, you get to learn so many things here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan