The best Phantom battery mod ever?

Reaction score
This is the best double battery mod I've seen so far. No added weight and batteries are in perfect balance. Maybe a custom battery cover would make this even better?

Attachments

• phantomod.jpg
    phantomod.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,814
??? what do you mean no extra weight? - You just doubled the battery weight...

The bigger question - do you always fly without landing gear?

LOL :D I wasnt too clear, wasnt I!

What I ment to say is that the mod itself does not increase the weight of the Phantom. No need for nothing with this mod. If you can make ur Phantom to carry 2 batteries within the body of the quad, why would anyone want to carry batteries outside it.

Did you just cut the opeinng wider or did you have to make internal cuts to the battery compartment?

Usually doubling up on the stock battery yields no or very little improvement in flight time due to the extra weight. I have found a 2800 mAh battery that increases weight by less than 10% over the stock battery but it has over 20% more capacity. I haven't measured flight times though.

Ots said:
Usually doubling up on the stock battery yields no or very little improvement in flight time due to the extra weight. I have found a 2800 mAh battery that increases weight by less than 10% over the stock battery but it has over 20% more capacity. I haven't measured flight times though.

I thought so too, but I've heard people flying with double (stock) batteries with a full payload (gimbal, fpv etc) 12minutes or so. Dont know who to believe. The added weight of a stock battery isnt that hight compared to overall weight of the system. I dont believe you can get close to doubling your flight time, but adding 30 or up to 40% is achievable.

to insatiable
I actually found this picture from a Finnish re-sellers website. I spoke with the guy on the phone who had done this mod and he didnt speak about any internal changes. Although I would be prepared to remove some stuff from the interior aswell to enable larger batteries.

That is an optimal way to place the batteries but it seems like a pain to get them in and out. I have seen that picture before and I believe that there was some internal cutting involved. I think that the battery aperture needed to be widened. There are a few printed doors on Shapeways.com that increases the size of the battery compartment a little bit.

There's been some cutting there, there's no latch hole for the door latch. I like the concept but like Ots mentioned the weight vs flight time is negligible.

It would be quite simple to compare flight times using one battery and using both batteries.

I'm curious what the results would show.

Seems to me from paying attention to people's reports that in general you get about another 50% over what a single battery flight time is, so if you get 6 minutes from one battery you will get 9 or so from 2.....something along that line. But generally that is for the standard 2200 mAH battery AND for modifications that involve more superstructure and weight to hold the battery in/on. The weight savings of doing it that way will better that some. The additional problem however is that the flight characteristics of the much heavier bird detracts from the experience Several of the heavy hitters on this forum have publicly said they had gone back to single battery flying because they get more total flight time and a lighter, more responsive bird.

That modification might open up the possibility of a single, much larger capacity battery, which would involve less weight than two smaller batteries, only one set of wires, etc. If one went beyond 3S however one would need to beef up the ESC's to the motors.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4