Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

The back 40 after sunset tonight

Discussion in 'Phantom 4 Discussion' started by George Race, Mar 19, 2016.

1. George Race

Hopefully I am not boring the group with my ramblings about the P4! This is the most amazing drone to fly, and it is so darn stable, I have to keep checking to make sure the tablet is not locked up. Touching any control confirms it is really a live feed!

Tonights photo excursion started just as the sun was disappearing in the western sky. I launched the P4 out about 300 feet in front of me and took it up to 409 feet. All at once I was watching the sunset again. I took a lot of still frame shots as it went further and further over the horizon, leaving me standing almost in the dark here on earth. Looking up I could clearly see the pair of red eyes looking back down toward me.

Bringing the bird home was the most fun. I watch the two red LED's come closer and closer on the way down. I brought it to within 10 feet of where I was standing and backed it toward me, coming down to about 6 feet. I am amazed at how easy it is to navigate. You can so easily move it inches at a time in any of the 6 major directions. I did a hand catch, pulled the left control back, and the flight was over. Flight time was just over 15 minutes and the battery was showing 44% left when I shut it down.

As most of the pictures showed only the brightly lit portion of the sky, I loaded the RAW files into LightRoom and picked one of the many shots to process. The one I picked was on of the last shots with the sun completely below the distant horizon. It was shot at 1/150 sec, f2.8 with an ISO of 100. Using LightRoom I was able to bring out the full detail of the "Shot In The Dark" and I think it really turned out quite well.

I just can't say enough about the quality of the P4, and as the shot below shows, it really does a very good job of shooting in almost darkness. I can hardly wait for some nice warm WX to get out and really do a lot of pictures of the area.
    3_19_16_Drone.jpg

Gumby, msinger, Altaman and 2 others like this.
  2. Baldrick

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app