The age old "which monitor" question ...

Reaction score
Just need some input.

My current set up ... DJI Phantom 2 V2.0, H3-3D gimbal, GoPro 3+ Black.

I have bought already for my FPV set up ... ImmersionRC 600W transmitter, iOSD mini, and plug & play cable from DPCAV.com

I have narrowed my monitors down to three and need help picking which one. I've listed the pros and cons as I see them. I know antennas are the next thing but I will tackle that later.

Black Pearl RC801 in 7 channel - Pros: seems most popular in the FPV world, build seems very solid, proven track record, large sun screen - Neutral - HDMI right now serves no purpose for me but might down the road as technology changes - Cons - The large sunscreen does not fold up and looks like it would be a bear when stored in a case of any sort, price ... while I am fine with paying more ... it is the most expensive of the three.

Sky 702 w/ folding sunshade - Pros: seems like a solid build, large sun screen that folds up for storage and screen protection, price is about $60 less than the Black Pearl - Neutral - lack of HDMI again, not sure what the future holds on that - Cons - I haven't seen much in terms of real world DJI guys using them, beyond that if there is a con I am unaware and need advice. What does concern me is that I cannot seem to find a straight answer as to whether the battery is internal or not.

Boscam RX-LCD802 - Pros; many people report good luck with it, price is about $90 less than a Black Pearl. Neutral - again lack of HDMI ... if it ever even matters. Cons - on the surface it looks like a cheaper build quality than the others (simply from what I can see in photos online), tiny sun shade (not sure if a larger fold up one can replace the tiny one.

Any advice or thoughts? Right now that Sky 702 is looking pretty nice to me (assuming the battery is internal), but I have been wrong before.

NOTE: this monitor does not work with immersionRC transmitters. It does work perfectly with fatshark and boscam transmitters.

not 100% why they don't work together. There are videos on youtube that show video problems when used with immersionrc. Even though they are the same frequency, they appear to use different information formatting in their signal.

*Disclaimer: I cannot validate these statements. Just a basic Google search and I came up with these. Google is amazing, no? :)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2196007

Go with the Boscam. You can buy a foldable sunshade for less than $10.

See that is why I asked.

Any other thoughts on the Black Pearl vs the Boscom?

Got suggestions on a folding sunshade that would work with the Boscom?

unless you need that HDMI port, I say go with the Boscam. I've never had any trouble even in direct sunlight, and you can always rig however big of a sunshade you need.

it's compatible with your transmitter, plenty of people around here have RX-LCD5802 (including me) and are perfectly happy with it.
don't forget that by default, it doesn't come with a wall power adapter so you need to buy one separate (usually around $6)

newdayoutdoors said:

cardboard and duct tape :)

I just got the same setup as you with the Black Pearl. Even with the sunshade and brightness on the highest, Black Pearl is still hard to view outside. Not very impressed in that regard. Otherwise seems like decent built quality. Have not used the others.

QYV said:
newdayoutdoors said:

:lol: I'm all for redneck engineering something ... LOL ... but I think I would like something a little more "professional" looking ... ;)

honestly I've had mine out in the brightest of direct sunlight and with the brightness on the screen all the way up, it was perfectly usable imo.
that being said, I'm sure finding a generic larger sunscreen for a 7" diversity receiver can't be too hard. they're all basically the same size/shape

OK, so I was really leaning towards the Boscom (economics and brighter screen from what I am reading) until it dawned on me that HDMI could be a bigger deal than I was thinking.

I do a lot of DSLR video work and video cameras as well (Canon XA20 models). There are times that I use an external monitor for framing, focus assist, etc. Currently I own a SmallHD AC7 monitor https://www.smallhd.com/products/ac7/index.html I use HDMI inputs on all of my cameras for that monitor. I could dump the SmallHD AC7 for the Black Pearl and only sacrifice a small amount of resolution. Hmmmmm ... what to do ... what to do ...

every person is a little different, sounds like you could totally use the HDMI feature so go with the BP.

I just realized in your OP you said you've already bought the FPV stuff yes? the IRC600 transmitter... you may get lucky and NOT have any issues with that transmitter and your display... if you already have all the equipment by all means try it. there are some people for whom it works fine, there's just enough people having issues with the IRC600 and BP 32ch that it's worth mentioning

mpp said:
I just got the same setup as you with the Black Pearl. Even with the sunshade and brightness on the highest, Black Pearl is still hard to view outside. Not very impressed in that regard. Otherwise seems like decent built quality. Have not used the others.
I disagree. I've never had any trouble flying with the Black Pearl, sunshade or not, even at high noon.

Go with the 7 channel Black Pearl then. It's a great monitor. Love mine.

QYV said:
newdayoutdoors said:

Nope! Black poster board (thick)'and black tape! :). Actually it works. Get an exacto knife, make a partial cut about 50% deep, with a ruler, on the back side of where you need a bend. Done right, it works great and looks great. One Sunday, younger days, I wanted to watch the Atlanta Falcons, but it was a perfect day to lay out. I did both, with a color TV, extension cord, custom sunshade for TV, lounge chair and beers on ice!

No drinking and flying, though! :)

QYV said:
every person is a little different, sounds like you could totally use the HDMI feature so go with the BP.

I just realized in your OP you said you've already bought the FPV stuff yes? the IRC600 transmitter... you may get lucky and NOT have any issues with that transmitter and your display... if you already have all the equipment by all means try it. there are some people for whom it works fine, there's just enough people having issues with the IRC600 and BP 32ch that it's worth mentioning

Yes, I have already bought the IRC600 transmitter. However, if I go with the Black Pearl, then I will get the 7 channel version. It is the 32 channel version that people are reporting problems with when using the IRC600.

I'm still undecided ... thinking and pondering my options.

It is coming down to HDMI input and ditching my SmallHD AC7 to use one monitor across the board. Or going with the Boscam as it seems to be reported as "brighter" (though few side by side hands on comparisons seem to be out there that I can find) and keeping my SmallHD AC7 for other projects.

Honestly, the price of the two is of little significance. I want the one that will perform better overall for me. When I say performance, I mean quality of image, brightness, quality of build, and reception (understanding quality antennas are needed). So ... throwing price out the window and HDMI ... side by side, which is the better monitor the Black Pearl 7 channel or the Boscam RX-LCD5802?

No first hand experience here.

5802: 450cd/m2
Black Pearl: 300cd/m2

That stated, I have not experienced any problems viewing my Black Pearl. Perhaps because I don't have experience with the 5802, and thus ignorance is bliss in my case.

Well I just could not get away from the all of the "brightness" issues that I keep reading about with the Black Pearl. So I said "screw it" and ordered the Boscam RX-LCD5802, a charging addapter, and then also the premium antenna bundle from FPVLR.com. I'm sure I will be happy with everything.

dptcalvin said:
mpp said:
I disagree. I've never had any trouble flying with the Black Pearl, sunshade or not, even at high noon.
I wonder if there is something wrong with mine then. I've only had it a little while. Inside it looks fine but outdoors even on a cloudy day I wouldnt quite call it bright.

Bought it on amazon so maybe I'll just have it exchanged. Anyone in Billings, Montana, with a Black Pearl that I can compare with mine so I can see if there is something wrong?

Doing some googling about the issue I just found out that "Bright" setting is only at 50% brightness. Setting a custom picture control as "User" allows you to male it much much brighter. Will have to try it out tomorrow during daylight. Maybe it's working fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20