the A to Z of Phantom/Zenmuse installation, upgrade, etc.

Reaction score
Joined May 2013
66 Posts

so this is where I am:
dead in the water

recap:

Phantom was working perfectly.
Zenmuse arrived
performed soldering and connections per instructions
upgraded to latest firmware

after doing that my Transmitter and my Phantom have lost connection completely.

I got some message warning that such an error could happen and saying that I could recalibrate. (or that I needed to reboot which I assume it means I need to restart everything which I have done, to no effect, numerous times).

Problem is that calibration isn't even an option. The Tx is just not communicating at all with the Phantom.

Any hints?

Has anyone posted the A to Z of installing a Zenmuse for the GoPro to your Phantom that includes both all hardware and software processes?

Much appreciated!

in Costa Rica
Fernando
PS: can I bribe anyone to help me with this in exchange for a place to stay on the beaches of Costa Rica?

Re: the A to Z of Phantom/Zenmuse installation, upgrade, etc

Apologies in advance for this long post.

Phantom with Zenmuse for absolute newbies. Written by a newby.

So I decided to write my personal experience with the Phantom and the Zenmuse for the GoPro for the Phantom.

1.) Got two phantoms a few months ago and have learned to fly them in a competent manner.

2.) pre-ordered the Zenmuse from B&H photo and took delivery of it.

3.) Snag #1: No one ever told me that I also had to buy the PMU V2 and that the Zenmuse won't work without it. There is one brief mention in the DJI website (discovered in retrospect) but I think that when you are ordering the Zenmuse any dealer with half a conscience has a duty to point out that without it, the gimbal won't work.

4.) Bought the PMU V2 (had to wait another two weeks to take delivery of that piece!)

5.) performed the installation: soldering, taping, etc. as shown in the DJI instructional video

6.) the DJI website, misleadingly, erroneously, and egregiously states:
"No, you do not need do any calibrating, just install the camera and it’s ready to work"

Nothing could be further from the truth.

7.) After informing myself that one should upgrade various firmwares I endeavoured to do so as follows:
7.1) upgraded Phantom to version 2.14
7.2) installed and upgraded Zenmuse Assistant Software version 1.02
7.3) upgraded for firmware IMU 1.2 GCU 1.4 and CMU 1.0

8.) in the process of all this my Transmitter stopped communicating altogether with the Phantom. I had to pair them again.

9.) I had to recalibrate the Transmitter

10.) a very important point: DJI does not supply the cable to connect the Zenmuse to your computer via USB cable. It uses a special cable. You'd think that for $700 (charge $800 if you need to, but get it right) they would include that cable.

11.) They also egregiously forget to mention anywhere that the only way to connect your Zenmuse to your computer is by opening the Phantom and utilizing that special USB cable. It turns out that there is one inside the Phantom that is used to connect the Phantom to your computer. It's a gray cable. Disconnect it and use it to plug into the Zenmuse module for computer connection. I know these are little things but they are really annoying and are glaring oversights by DJI.

Things I still need to do:

A.) the Gimbal by default moves to a position with the lens pointing directly downwards when I power up the Phantom.

B.) Figure out what is meant by the Tilt Control Switch Setting (in the Zenmuse Assistant Software). When I plug my Zenmuse module to the computer and start the Zenmuse Assistant software, under "BASIC" there is lever that presumably moves with the mouse from TILT to -1000. This does not work at all for me.

C.) Test this thing to see if it actually flies and it actually delivers good footage.

QUESTION:

How can I adjust the tilt angle of my Zenmuse and Go Pro. As it is, the lens points straight down by default and I don't think that's the angle that I want to capture footage from. Shouldn't the camera lens point straight forward and be lined up with the horizon?

Thank you all!

Wow, good post. Need to send to DJI.

Oh, they don't answer post.

Never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edunwody said:
Wow, good post. Need to send to DJI.

Oh, they don't answer post.

Never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh i sent it to them anyway. posted it on facebook.
what makes me mad is that they are making money hand over fist
you'd think they could shell out for a little bit of tech support

Nosarafern, good post. I assume you've got the answer to your tilt question by now, courtesy of this community?

SimonB said:
Nosarafern, good post. I assume you've got the answer to your tilt question by now, courtesy of this community?

i did. thank you.
not this community but another one similar (with more traffic and participants or so it seems)

i am writing less than stellar reviews for DJI though. They are deserved.

I love their products, and they are making money hand over fist, you'd think they could shell out a little to guide people along, especially as they are inviting a more mainstream consumer base. I became aware and acquainted with them not through the RC world but through B&H Photo in New York. They are trying to reel in the professional photography crowd. I deal with Nikon, Hasselblad, Elinchrom, Leica, etc. These are serious companies and when one has an issue they have a qualified tech ready to attend to you. DJI is a bit reckless in my opinion.

I am so thankful to you and to those who have helped me along so far.

It's not all the money in the world but I have shelled over $3k on DJI products so far. When I spend 3k on a camera body I expect it to hum along like a Porsche!

nosarafern said:
Apologies in advance for this long post.

Phantom with Zenmuse for absolute newbies. Written by a newby.

So I decided to write my personal experience with the Phantom and the Zenmuse for the GoPro for the Phantom.

1.) Got two phantoms a few months ago and have learned to fly them in a competent manner.

2.) pre-ordered the Zenmuse from B&H photo and took delivery of it.

3.) Snag #1: No one ever told me that I also had to buy the PMU V2 and that the Zenmuse won't work without it. There is one brief mention in the DJI website (discovered in retrospect) but I think that when you are ordering the Zenmuse any dealer with half a conscience has a duty to point out that without it, the gimbal won't work.

4.) Bought the PMU V2 (had to wait another two weeks to take delivery of that piece!)

5.) performed the installation: soldering, taping, etc. as shown in the DJI instructional video

6.) the DJI website, misleadingly, erroneously, and egregiously states:
"No, you do not need do any calibrating, just install the camera and it’s ready to work"

Nothing could be further from the truth.

7.) After informing myself that one should upgrade various firmwares I endeavoured to do so as follows:
7.1) upgraded Phantom to version 2.14
7.2) installed and upgraded Zenmuse Assistant Software version 1.02
7.3) upgraded for firmware IMU 1.2 GCU 1.4 and CMU 1.0

8.) in the process of all this my Transmitter stopped communicating altogether with the Phantom. I had to pair them again.

9.) I had to recalibrate the Transmitter

10.) a very important point: DJI does not supply the cable to connect the Zenmuse to your computer via USB cable. It uses a special cable. You'd think that for $700 (charge $800 if you need to, but get it right) they would include that cable.

11.) They also egregiously forget to mention anywhere that the only way to connect your Zenmuse to your computer is by opening the Phantom and utilizing that special USB cable. It turns out that there is one inside the Phantom that is used to connect the Phantom to your computer. It's a gray cable. Disconnect it and use it to plug into the Zenmuse module for computer connection. I know these are little things but they are really annoying and are glaring oversights by DJI.

Things I still need to do:

A.) the Gimbal by default moves to a position with the lens pointing directly downwards when I power up the Phantom.

B.) Figure out what is meant by the Tilt Control Switch Setting (in the Zenmuse Assistant Software). When I plug my Zenmuse module to the computer and start the Zenmuse Assistant software, under "BASIC" there is lever that presumably moves with the mouse from TILT to -1000. This does not work at all for me.

C.) Test this thing to see if it actually flies and it actually delivers good footage.

QUESTION:

How can I adjust the tilt angle of my Zenmuse and Go Pro. As it is, the lens points straight down by default and I don't think that's the angle that I want to capture footage from. Shouldn't the camera lens point straight forward and be lined up with the horizon?

Thank you all!

Ok so here is the final part that I needed:

1.) connect your phantom and Tx to the Naza-M V2 Assistant software. Make sure you are running the latest version and firmware
2.) go to Basic
3.) go to RC
4.) perform an X1 calibration as follows:
5.) look at the back of your Tx at the lower right hand corner, you are going to see two holes there is an X with a circle around it next to the holes
6.) insert a flathead screwdriver on the upper of these two holes
7.) press the "START" button for X1 Calibration
8.) turn the screw driver all the way to the left then to the right then to the left again then to the right again
you are going to see the X1 lever move from left to right and you are going to see your camera tilt up and down

I think if you need an A-Z guide for installation and setup, then perhaps it would be better just to have your dealer take
care of it, and pay for their services.

I'm not trying to be mean, or anything, not everybody is interested in do it yourself stuff, nor do they have the tools to
take on more than can be done with a basic screw driver. My youngest son is just one of those people. He is very
artistic, and can create wonderful music, and draw illustrations, which I cannot do at all. Our brains are just geared
for different things.

So if you are not mechanically inclined, no big deal, there are plenty of hobby professionals who are, you just need to
find one near you.

yes we need a full detail guide on the installation and software upgrading on the H3-2D and phantom.
there are just too many people having problems which i am afraid to do the installation.
i have the H3-2D and the PMU upopened right now on my desk and i might plan to sell them off because of all the problems that might arise when i start installing them.
i have ordered the tarot gimbal and will try to install them instead when they arrived.
and now that dji has announced a better upgrade(viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1539) for the phantom-zenmuse combination, i might wait until then and decide again..

but seriously, for the price of gimbal paid, you should not expect all the problems that comes with it, we really need an answer from DJI

I have to agree that knowing that the PMU was a requirement would have saved me an additional two weeks of down time, but it did give me plenty of quality time watching the install video!

By the way, you definitely have to install the upgraded firmware.

13 flights and everything is working well!

Regards,

Todd

I have to agree that knowing that the PMU was a requirement would have saved me an additional two weeks of down time, but it did give me plenty of quality time watching the install video!

We knew for a long time, that the PMU V2 would be required. As soon as they announced the release of the gimbal, they
also had installation diagrams on the web site, that detailed that part, and there were many discussions on this forum
about it as well.

It's not very realistic to expect a "Zenmuse gimbal for dummies" book, detailing every step, and every possible installation
scenario.
It is not only for the Phantom, with a Phantom transmitter. What are they supposed to do, write a book for every conceivable
installation platform ?

I think we were lucky to get the instructions we did, considering they build it in China, and have to translate into many different
languages.

I agree, that waiting for the upgrade parts would be wise prior to making a decision to install it, but the upgrade won't install itself, and neither will the Tarot gimbal.

The videos for installation, are only two minutes long, it really is that simple.

you can adjust the tilt with a kit from shapeways or go to your local electronics store and by a 5k 5 ohm linear single rotary pot and knob and do some more soldering. Look on youtube for the install, also search the forum.

@audaciter:

i live in the coastal jungles of costa rica.
to get to my house i have to cross several rivers on a 4x4
if i had access to the services you reference i would certainly use them
but that is simply not an option

but that is beside the point

the fact is that DJI doesn't even make an attempt at providing customer support, their manual are poorly written, and they seem to deliberately leave out information about the installation and configuration of their products which is easy -for them- to supply.

icube said:
yes we need a full detail guide on the installation and software upgrading on the H3-2D and phantom.
there are just too many people having problems which i am afraid to do the installation.
i have the H3-2D and the PMU upopened right now on my desk and i might plan to sell them off because of all the problems that might arise when i start installing them.
i have ordered the tarot gimbal and will try to install them instead when they arrived.
and now that dji has announced a better upgrade(http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1539) for the phantom-zenmuse combination, i might wait until then and decide again..

but seriously, for the price of gimbal paid, you should not expect all the problems that comes with it, we really need an answer from DJI

i am probably going to order that board. did you know that instead of having to solder two pieces you are going to have to solder all of the esc's as well? it is going to be even harder. Plug'n Play is grossly misleading.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31