The 32 Channel Mod

I had this problem too. The file is there but it is hidden. You need to make sure you computer is set to 'show hidden files' and it will be there. This took me ages to work out on my MAC but I googled it and managed. Once you have the file (which from memory was a .exe file) you then use iTunes to open up the file sharing section of the DJI Go app. Click add. iTunes will then ask if you want to replace file. Click yes and you should be good to go. Sorry to be a bit vague but I am to tech what Stevie Wonder is to road safety.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
No, great info. That explains why I'm getting an empty folder.

Are people getting better range with this mod?

It's more about increased range on your video feed if your having problems with that. Use the slider to set it to 4mbps apparently for the best results. For an increase in flight range you need to move into the realms of modifying the RC. There is a range Demi God by the name of Jake who posts under MaxxUAV. He offers a selection of hardware mods to increase range. You can start small and add kit as you see fit. He is also hands down the nicest person on this forum. I have ordered his Evo Kit Plus and because I'm a complete idiot with anything technical he has also fixed me up with someone here in the UK to do the installation. This should improve stock range on the P4 by about three times depending on on the usual parameters of where you are flying, interference and so on. In fact, I'm not sure I even needed to buy it, I just fell in love with Jake a little bit!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jussaguy
I don't believe HAM license allows you to operate an RC on HAM frequencies.

I myself orders Jake's kit. Software modification will only be as good as what the hardware limitations are.

I don't believe HAM license allows you to operate an RC on HAM frequencies.

I myself orders Jake's kit. Software modification will only be as good as what the hardware limitations are.
Thanks to the person that recommended turning on the hidden files to finally do this mod. I never needed to with my other birds because I am not looking for range like some of you are. I just need a good solid 400 meters and I am perfectly happy and that was never an issue until my 2nd P4 (first one oddly is fine as you all know by now I'm sure).

So the "mod" worked now that I could see the file and I got about a half mile before I decided to return it home. I went a little more than a half mile without a hiccup (before I couldn't go 40 feet using the iPad without a hiccup) and like 16-20 sats or so and full bars and never dropped a bar. I am interested to see how far it will go now. I took the liberty of going to the higher channels (I put it on 31) where I saw absolutely zero anything.

As to the legality of using that channel, considering I have a General HAM license now, I will do a little research but the difference is undeniable.

Of course my gimbal is locking for some reason and I have to calibrate every single time to get a decent horizon but hey baby steps! Very pleased about this.

By the way, yesterday while flying for a minute in Sport mode, not even full speed, my gimbal got stuck and said "Gimbal Lock". Why? Never had that one before.

Fun fact: the reason I named my bird "Glenn" is because it was the manager at the Apple Store who was being ULTRA ridiculously cool as we tried to get me a working bird. I was at the store when I activated it and he was touched by my gesture.

So 703m without a hiccup, 20 sats and full bars. I feel like I could have kept going and look at the neighborhood, houses and lines everywhere so i would imagine up in the open, I might now be able to get the range that is advertised but I am happy to just have this. I NEVER need to go far but what I was getting before wasn't NOT far, it was nowhere. I don't want to get too excited as this was just one flight, but we shall see I suppose.

IMG_0007.large.jpg_zpsa25ds7yx.png

Reactions: Stealthmatt
Thanks to the person that recommended turning on the hidden files to finally do this mod. I never needed to with my other birds because I am not looking for range like some of you are. I just need a good solid 400 meters and I am perfectly happy and that was never an issue until my 2nd P4 (first one oddly is fine as you all know by now I'm sure).

So the "mod" worked now that I could see the file and I got about a half mile before I decided to return it home. I went a little more than a half mile without a hiccup (before I couldn't go 40 feet using the iPad without a hiccup) and like 16-20 sats or so and full bars and never dropped a bar. I am interested to see how far it will go now. I took the liberty of going to the higher channels (I put it on 31) where I saw absolutely zero anything.

As to the legality of using that channel, considering I have a General HAM license now, I will do a little research but the difference is undeniable.

Of course my gimbal is locking for some reason and I have to calibrate every single time to get a decent horizon but hey baby steps! Very pleased about this.

By the way, yesterday while flying for a minute in Sport mode, not even full speed, my gimbal got stuck and said "Gimbal Lock". Why? Never had that one before.

Fun fact: the reason I named my bird "Glenn" is because it was the manager at the Apple Store who was being ULTRA ridiculously cool as we tried to get me a working bird. I was at the store when I activated it and he was touched by my gesture.

So 703m without a hiccup, 20 sats and full bars. I feel like I could have kept going and look at the neighborhood, houses and lines everywhere so i would imagine up in the open, I might now be able to get the range that is advertised but I am happy to just have this. I NEVER need to go far but what I was getting before wasn't NOT far, it was nowhere. I don't want to get too excited as this was just one flight, but we shall see I suppose.

IMG_0007.large.jpg_zpsa25ds7yx.png
One word of advice, is that because you have locked it to a channel, it will not automatically hop if it loses range or becomes weak. It will simply disconnect. So your only using 1 single channel.

In auto it will hop between 8 channels as it needs to which gives better stability.

Its very scary when you lose signal on a single channel because it usually doesn't come back into signal range until its a lot closer. So use this mod only if you are in really congested area, but if in doubt or normal flying use the auto function.

Think of it like a long elastic band, yes you can stretch further, but when it snaps back to its orginal size, the phantom needs to come in range of the original size to make a new connection. It doesn't seem to require this with the auto channels.

One word of advice, is that because you have locked it to a channel, it will not automatically hop if it loses range or becomes weak. It will simply disconnect. So your only using 1 single channel.

In auto it will hop between 8 channels as it needs to which gives better stability.

Its very scary when you lose signal on a single channel because it usually doesn't come back into signal range until its a lot closer. So use this mod only if you are in really congested area, but if in doubt or normal flying use the auto function.

Think of it like a long elastic band, yes you can stretch further, but when it snaps back to its orginal size, the phantom needs to come in range of the original size to make a new connection. It doesn't seem to require this with the auto channels.
Well the other way I was getting the lost signal before going 40 meters. Feeling better about this. Worst case scenario is that I do what I have been doing and switch to the iPhone when in doubt. I wonder if you can change frequencies in mid-air.

I am pretty sure, but not even close to positive, that once it automatically finds a channel, it stays on it. I am not at all sure of this but either way, I was afraid to fly the bird and this was the first sign of any signal strength.

Besides, have you looked at the upper channels? Nothing happens on them at all.

I also wonder if I have it on auto if it will use all 32 or just the 8 channels. I need to dig into the legality or not of this with my license and in general.

Well the other way I was getting the lost signal before going 40 meters. Feeling better about this. Worst case scenario is that I do what I have been doing and switch to the iPhone when in doubt. I wonder if you can change frequencies in mid-air.

I am pretty sure, but not even close to positive, that once it automatically finds a channel, it stays on it. I am not at all sure of this but either way, I was afraid to fly the bird and this was the first sign of any signal strength.

Besides, have you looked at the upper channels? Nothing happens on them at all.

I also wonder if I have it on auto if it will use all 32 or just the 8 channels. I need to dig into the legality or not of this with my license and in general.

• Automatic does switch, you will get a half a second delay or perhaps some video corruption which means it will be checking signals and switching, people have said when you start getting video issues you need to push past it for it to connect on a new channel.

• Auto will only use 8 channels regardless if you have the 32 channel mod/hack. (You can see the light shading over the 13-20 ism channels.

• You can change from auto to manual while flying and then change channels :) iv done it many times!

No one will know your using another channel, I am certainly not going to let some random person look at my controller and ipad and then fine me for using another channel. lol

• Automatic does switch, you will get a half a second delay or perhaps some video corruption which means it will be checking signals and switching, people have said when you start getting video issues you need to push past it for it to connect on a new channel.
  • Auto will only use 8 channels regardless if you have the 32 channel mod/hack. (You can see the light shading over the 13-20 ism channels.

• You can change from auto to manual while flying and then change channels :) iv done it many times!

No one will know your using another channel, I am certainly not going to let some random person look at my controller and ipad and then fine me for using another channel. lol
I have no moral obligation against you doing that but I have FAR too much at stake with the FAA and FCC to be breaking their laws so if I can't, I won't simply for that fact.

The ability to switch channels in mid-flight is pretty easy so if what you say happens, happens, then I will have plenty of time to switch it to "auto" or another channel. In the meantime, I finally got some range on ONE flight. Not getting ahead of myself here. Thanks for the input.

I have no moral obligation against you doing that but I have FAR too much at stake with the FAA and FCC to be breaking their laws so if I can't, I won't simply for that fact.

The ability to switch channels in mid-flight is pretty easy so if what you say happens, happens, then I will have plenty of time to switch it to "auto" or another channel. In the meantime, I finally got some range on ONE flight. Not getting ahead of myself here. Thanks for the input.

Nooooooo you can't switch channels when it doesn't have a connection o_O ... i'm not saying don't use the extra channels just be mindful that its a bit more longer wait to become "connected" again. Stay calm and collected and it will come back, also make sure your RTH is set high 50-60 meters. :cool: happy flying!

Nooooooo you can't switch channels when it doesn't have a connection o_O ... i'm not saying don't use the extra channels just be mindful that its a bit more longer wait to become "connected" again. Stay calm and collected and it will come back, also make sure your RTH is set high 50-60 meters. :cool: happy flying!
Well aware. As I've said, I cant count the times I've lost signal with this second bird and had to hook up my phone. First time was done calmly but with a little panic in my heart and now I do it like I'm turning it on.

So in that regard, you can change channels.

I guess when I fly, I will make sure that the phone is in auto mode. I should have left the phone alone now that I think of it. How do I change it back if I want to? I need to find the original file.

Well aware. As I've said, I cant count the times I've lost signal with this second bird and had to hook up my phone. First time was done calmly but with a little panic in my heart and now I do it like I'm turning it on.

So in that regard, you can change channels.

I guess when I fly, I will make sure that the phone is in auto mode. I should have left the phone alone now that I think of it. How do I change it back if I want to? I need to find the original file.

Delete the app and reinstall?

Delete the app and reinstall?
Yeah, maybe but it's a "hidden" config file and it might keep it. But a fresh install might put the original back. One of the several I downloaded had the original with it anyway I THINK. Or I could delve in to the code, it's just text telling it what channels are active.

Yeah, maybe but it's a "hidden" config file and it might keep it. But a fresh install might put the original back. One of the several I downloaded had the original with it anyway I THINK. Or I could delve in to the code, it's just text telling it what channels are active.

Don't know why you need to put it back, its a small 0 thats changed to a 1. It doesn't effect anything, you can still fly on auto, you can still select your legal channels and you can select another channel.

Or just copy it from your ipad 2 mini back to your iphone (if you didnt do both) but I don't know why you want to put it back.

lol - just get out there and fly it!

Don't know why you need to put it back, its a small 0 thats changed to a 1. It doesn't effect anything, you can still fly on auto, you can still select your legal channels and you can select another channel.

Or just copy it from your ipad 2 mini back to your iphone (if you didnt do both) but I don't know why you want to put it back.

lol - just get out there and fly it!
What is it you think I'm doing? I'm just responding to you. I flew 6 bats today, finally. The others weren't as good as the first but better.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20