The 32 Channel Mod

Reaction score
So my weakest point when it come to hobby of RC aerial photography is when it comes to the RC part and the mods and stuff.

I understand a lot and am a good learner but am just a little confused on the 32 channel mod and I've asked this question in several threads where that mod was being discussed and haven't gotten an answer.

This is what I have deduced. There are 32 channels on our P4 RCs.

There is a non-destructive mod that if applied correctly will open the other 24 channels that are closed (and there are several theories, some bordering on conspiracy as to why those are closed) but it is generally believed that DJI understands the loop hole exists and the majority of the people here that understand the mod think they wont do anything about it because it's to help the FAA (or other governing bodies) and they've done their part.

The reason they are closed is because you don't get as good reception (range)??? (this is where I'm not sure) because of the possibility of one of those 24 channels being a better one than the 8 that are available pre-mod?

All of this information is really in the form of a question. What I just wrote above, if wrong, is because I am only piecing together what I've read.

If you asked me how many channels were on our RCs two weeks ago, it could have been 3 or 90 and I wouldn't have known.

So is the 32 channel mod still working with the new firmware? Is there a difference in anything with the mod?

Does the mod itself pose ANY possible problems (including to warranty and DJI Care by opening) or even worse, possible bad flights?

Thanks for any answers in advance.

Adam

Should not be a warranty issue as none of the DJI hardware is altered/modified in any form, only the DJI GO APP on your tablet/phone is altered with some new code that allows you to use the rest of the channels. Yes it still works with the current FW and the most current APP revision ;)

Reactions: Jussaguy
Well. Channels are just different portions of the 2.4GHz spectrum going from 2.400 to 2.500. Since our hardware operate on the 2.4GHz spectrum, they can technically transmit on any channel within that 2.4 range. The 8 channels are dedicated for ISM = Industrial, Scientific, Medical uses. Lower channels are dedicated for home WiFi and upper channels are for whatever else.

DJI limits you to the 8 ISM channels because that's where FCC allows them to operate, with that being said the other channels are unlocked by the MOD and allow you to operate on rest of the 2.4 frequencies you're not supposed to operate on. FAA wouldn't care about something like this, FCC would.

Reason people are getting better range on those channels is because there are less interferences due to less devices being operated there. Definitely would not want to fly on WiFi frequencies in a city because everyone's home routers will jam up your signal.

Well. Channels are just different portions of the 2.4GHz spectrum going from 2.400 to 2.500. Since our hardware operate on the 2.4GHz spectrum, they can technically transmit on any channel within that 2.4 range. The 8 channels are dedicated for ISM = Industrial, Scientific, Medical uses. Lower channels are dedicated for home WiFi and upper channels are for whatever else.

DJI limits you to the 8 ISM channels because that's where FCC allows them to operate, with that being said the other channels are unlocked by the MOD and allow you to operate on rest of the 2.4 frequencies you're not supposed to operate on. FAA wouldn't care about something like this, FCC would.

Reason people are getting better range on those channels is because there are less interferences due to less devices being operated there. Definitely would not want to fly on WiFi frequencies in a city because everyone's home routers will jam up your signal.
That cleared it up completely and filled in the holes. Thank you very much.

You would think I would know some of this stuff because I took the FCC HAM test but that was several years ago and my memory sucks but I don't think that was on the level of test I took. I don't have a general. It's the "technical" license I believe.

Reactions: Cale262
That cleared it up completely and filled in the holes. Thank you very much.

You would think I would know some of this stuff because I took the FCC HAM test but that was many years ago.

Funny as I also aced my Basic Amateur (Ham) radio exam many years ago and then quickly forgot ~90% of what I learnt, if you don't use it you loose it..."VE6GPR monitoring out"...lol

Funny as I also aced my Basic Amateur (Ham) radio exam many years ago and then quickly forgot ~90% of what I learnt, if you don't use it you loose it..."VE6GPR monitoring out"...lol
But we remember our numbers.

KK6KGK monitoring out.

I actually became a HAM because a line producer I work for was so into it and he got the whole crew not only into the hobby but taking the tests and passing the torch. In fact, our show has HAM all over the place when he does his VLOG because of that producer (and it makes sense for it to be there).

Last edited:
I just bought a mini 4 and I have always used android . I was very wondering if anyone had the file for the 32 channels hack for ios.

Last edited:
Reactions: phantom13flyer
Wow,,,, I used to be WB8VBE many years ago. I have been thinking about getting back into it though....

Something to think about!

Wow,,,, I used to be WB8VBE many years ago. I have been thinking about getting back into it though....

Something to think about!

I got mine years ago as I used to do a lot of back country guiding in the Northern Rockies, no such thing as cel reception in those areas even today but you could always hit a Ham radio repeater in the event of an emergency. Even today I have one in my Jeep, lots of fun back in Alberta especially dropping in on the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) repeaters!

Reactions: Jussaguy
Never done any HAM stuff but I am a computer science major which required a couple of networking classes. Most of the stuff I learned on my own out of interest, not in college. College just confirmed that what I already knew was valid lol.

I only have an iPad mini 4 . Can I still connect it to my desktop pc even though it's not a Mac .

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

All you need to do is download iTunes for your PC if you don't already have it. iTunes is available for the Mac and PC.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
That was a piece of cake adding the 32 channels to my iPad mini 4. Thanks for the help. I've been an android guy for awhile and still am, I love my galaxy s7 edge but there's room in my heart for some apple products too.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Ramphex and Cale262

Can I operate on the higher channel in the 2.4 range because I have a HAM license? The OP on the legality on operating on those frequencies said he thinks so. I should know but I don't. Can I legally operate on the upper channels with the FCC because of my HAM radio license?

Also, can someone upload or PM and send me that dji.config file that needs to be added? I can only find an empty folder from one link and an XML file on another link. I thought you were just supposed to replace that file.

Can I operate on the higher channel in the 2.4 range because I have a HAM license? The OP on the legality on operating on those frequencies said he thinks so. I should know but I don't. Can I legally operate on the upper channels with the FCC because of my HAM radio license?

Also, can someone upload or PM and send me that dji.config file that needs to be added? I can only find an empty folder from one link and an XML file on another link. I thought you were just supposed to replace that file.

I had this problem too. The file is there but it is hidden. You need to make sure you computer is set to 'show hidden files' and it will be there. This took me ages to work out on my MAC but I googled it and managed. Once you have the file (which from memory was a .exe file) you then use iTunes to open up the file sharing section of the DJI Go app. Click add. iTunes will then ask if you want to replace file. Click yes and you should be good to go. Sorry to be a bit vague but I am to tech what Stevie Wonder is to road safety.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic