That was scary... what happened?

Reaction score
Last evening I went to an area I had not flown before and wanted to get some shots of a lake and this nice tower. I had already flown the P3 around and got some good video. On the second battery I started back toward the tower with the intent of starting low and slowly rising up the tower for a cool shot. The P3 was probably 50' high and 200' away when the FPV went black. Just said no connection. It was hovering so it luckily wasn't in trouble but video was gone.

I checked the HD channels and they were all locked with no movement at all. The app was fine, nothing was locked up or anything. So I turned the bird around and started flying back and after about 50' or so video came back on.

What happened?? Is that tower a cell tower maybe? I flew by it already once.

Any pictures of the tower if not describe it.

Any pictures of the tower if not describe it.
Like a tower out of Assassins Creed actually. Still processing the video but here is a pic from the monitor. One thing that came to mind though. I had not disabled wifi on my cell and I bet there were hotspots in the area. Would that cause this kind of issue??

Attachments

• Tower.jpeg
    Tower.jpeg
    703.7 KB · Views: 693
Reactions: jcknows0
Doesn't look like a cell tower, I had same thing there other day, check the flight path does it stop and carry on when you gained connection again

Doesn't look like a cell tower, I had same thing there other day, check the flight path does it stop and carry on when you gained connection again
The control of the P3 wasn't affected. Only the FPV view got disconnected. When I turned around and started bringing it back it reconnected on it's own.

Hi Dronebow , this happened to me twice today. I was in open park flying with no interference close by. Thank god i still had access to the controller and was able to turn around phantom 3 advanced and land it safely . Have you figured it our what cause it?

I have not figured out what happened unfortunately. However, what is really weird is that this flight does NOT show up on my flight log. I was not taking video at the time but I doubt that would make a difference. Since it didn't show up on my flight logs at all I'm inclined to think it's some software issue. Thoughts??

Hi Dronebow , this happened to me twice today. I was in open park flying with no interference close by. Thank god i still had access to the controller and was able to turn around phantom 3 advanced and land it safely . Have you figured it our what cause it?

Sure you still had access to the controller, the bird is controlled via RC. :D Thank god DJI didn't use the same wifi @ 2.4ghz to control the drone.. Would be a disaster. Seems obvious though. Wait, Parrot does that. *facepalm*

This thread may be dead at this point but if folks are still reading it I would really like to know what would cause a flight to go unrecorded. That may help explain what happened with this particular flight. The flight data is completely absent as if it never occurred. I see the one before it. I see the one after it but its not there.

This thread may be dead at this point but if folks are still reading it I would really like to know what would cause a flight to go unrecorded. That may help explain what happened with this particular flight. The flight data is completely absent as if it never occurred. I see the one before it. I see the one after it but its not there.

Since you were not taking video maybee your monitor went into sleep or battery shut the screen off ck your settings on your monitor

Since you were not taking video maybee your monitor went into sleep or battery shut the screen off ck your settings on your monitor
Actually the screen was active. The video connection stopped with a red banner stating No Connection. I could still see data like the distance to the bird, it's height, speed, etc... But no video. And the flight logs show a gap between where I lost the video and where I gained it back.

Last evening I went to an area I had not flown before and wanted to get some shots of a lake and this nice tower. I had already flown the P3 around and got some good video. On the second battery I started back toward the tower with the intent of starting low and slowly rising up the tower for a cool shot. The P3 was probably 50' high and 200' away when the FPV went black. Just said no connection. It was hovering so it luckily wasn't in trouble but video was gone.

I checked the HD channels and they were all locked with no movement at all. The app was fine, nothing was locked up or anything. So I turned the bird around and started flying back and after about 50' or so video came back on.

What happened?? Is that tower a cell tower maybe? I flew by it already once.

Lmao you guys acting shocked when you see no video signals makes me question how defective my P3 is. I constantly lose signals. EVERY SINGLE TIME I FLY! It happens so often that I am now use to it and know what to do to get signal back. Its also very random when it happens. My P3 could be only 100 ft up and 100 ft away and it will lose signal when just a minute prior I will have perfect signal when its 500ft away and 300 ft up in the air. Makes no sense and the only thing I can think of is my Samsung S5 crashes or the app crashes. Not sure, don't care I still fly.

Actually the screen was active. The video connection stopped with a red banner stating No Connection. I could still see data like the distance to the bird, it's height, speed, etc... But no video. And the flight logs show a gap between where I lost the video and where I gained it back.

If this happens again I would try to force close the app and reopen it. Just because you still have telemetry doesn't mean that the decoder didn't lock up.

Lmao you guys acting shocked when you see no video signals makes me question how defective my P3 is. I constantly lose signals. EVERY SINGLE TIME I FLY! It happens so often that I am now use to it and know what to do to get signal back. Its also very random when it happens. My P3 could be only 100 ft up and 100 ft away and it will lose signal when just a minute prior I will have perfect signal when its 500ft away and 300 ft up in the air. Makes no sense and the only thing I can think of is my Samsung S5 crashes or the app crashes. Not sure, don't care I still fly.

You sure you have your antennas oriented correctly? Have you tried another smart device?

Reactions: Alex_
You sure you have your antennas oriented correctly? Have you tried another smart device?

I have tired my antennas in all different directions still same effect. I have not tried another device as I don't have another $300+ to dish out for testing.

I have tired my antennas in all different directions still same effect. I have not tried another device as I don't have another $300+ to dish out for testing.

Well you shouldn't be testing the antennas in all different direction. There is truly only one correct way. Please provide a picture of how you run them. No need to buy another device for testing, you must know someone with an ipad or other smart devices? See if you can barrow it, just to determine if its craft related or not.

Mine did the same thing yesterday when I was testing out my newly built parabolic antennas. It just went black after a few seconds. I was recording video at the time - but that turned off. I brought it down and restarted everything and it was fine and I flew it out 5000 feet without problems. I thought it was the antennas at first.

If it says Disconnected I'm pretty sure that means the app can't see the TX. Try force closing the app like others said, and disconnect and reconnect the USB cable. I have had it happen just before take off, not while in the air. Just don't panic, if in GPS mode the P3 will wait for you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic