That looks close

Reaction score
c78f92b4b2f7e1300b33b58aadf23649.jpg

10 hours of boredom followed by 20 seconds of sheer terror.

based on going opposite directions, should be 1000 ft of altitude separation and the one coming in from the top got there considerably after the one coming up from the bottom.

Reactions: Great_Lakes
Each plane was probably on a flight plan which planned on a turn over a point such as a fix and one got there just a little before the other and each made their planned turn It appears that the aircraft approaching viewer and turned to right was coming from another fix or airport which the second aircraft was going to.
By leaving contrails, they would have been at an altitude requiring a vertical separation per ATC

I don't know. The plane coming from the right looks like he's making an aggressive turn [emoji27]

They each were crossing a vor and made their expected turns to the outbound radial from the vor. This is a common thing as all pilots in class a airspace would be on an IFR flightplan, the fact that there appears to be low wind speeds at the upper altitudes allowed the contrails to hang around and made for this great shot.

c78f92b4b2f7e1300b33b58aadf23649.jpg

10 hours of boredom followed by 20 seconds of sheer terror.
High levels of "Chem trails" in your part of the world. They sometimes make tic tac toe boxes in the sky over nyc. Definitely not commercial air liners. I'm going to start documenting them on days when the spraying is heavy.

High levels of "Chem trails" in your part of the world. They sometimes make tic tac toe boxes in the sky over nyc. Definitely not commercial air liners. I'm going to start documenting them on days when the spraying is heavy.
No psychological manipulation or weather modification going on here- just more beautiful condensation.

Reactions: Jlbourne
That's one heck of a cool pic and a great conversation piece but that's really standard IFR flying over a VOR which is their "landmark" to initiate a turn in their flight. Very coordinated and I'd say if you were to sit and video that same spot often you'd see that happening a LOT (turning over that spot not the cool contrails making it look close LOL).

* I should have read the other replies as I've just repeated what half a dozen others already noted LOL

Reactions: ServiceCall
That's one heck of a cool pic and a great conversation piece but that's really standard IFR flying over a VOR which is their "landmark" to initiate a turn in their flight. Very coordinated and I'd say if you were to sit and video that same spot often you'd see that happening a LOT (turning over that spot not the cool contrails making it look close LOL).

* I should have read the other replies as I've just repeated what half a dozen others already noted LOL
Why is it that the trails take so long to dissipate? Also they seem to elongate laterally and spread if you notice the ones hanging around in the background.

They each were crossing a vor and made their expected turns to the outbound radial from the vor. This is a common thing as all pilots in class a airspace would be on an IFR flightplan, the fact that there appears to be low wind speeds at the upper altitudes allowed the contrails to hang around and made for this great shot.
Typically, what's the longest duration for one of these contrails to stay visible to a viewer in earth?

Jlbourne, it depends a lot on the upper winds, and the temps, the colder it is they longer they will stay around, and of course if the winds are strong they will last a lot shorter time.

Jlbourne, it depends a lot on the upper winds, and the temps, the colder it is they longer they will stay around, and of course if the winds are strong they will last a lot shorter time.
Cool. Looks like if they stay up there long enough they widen and spread out line a thin sheet over the sky

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj