That left a mark: possible prop loss or power loss mid-air?

Reaction score
Hey folks,

First post and not a happy one.

Was running DroneDeploy and P3P went up to 250' to begin mission in rural area with no obstructions. Wind was gusting a bit. Suddenly it plummeted directly down, tumbling as it went. It hit so hard it left a crater.

Data points:

Bird is a total loss. When I got there, there were only three props attached and the bare motor was covered with mud which suggests to me it had no prop on when it hit. I haven't found the other prop yet.

Battery was new with maybe 10 flights on it.

Props had been attached and hand tightened a couple of successful flights previously.

Everything was bone stock, no third party anything. Probably 20 flights total on it.

Because I was running DroneDeploy I think the only logs are the internal P3 ones. How do I get these off (the P3 will not power up since it is destroyed!).

My best guess as to what happened is that the P3 got hit by a gust and strongly decelerated one of the motors, which caused the prop to fly off. The other scenarios I guess are a seized motor or a total power loss.

Any help appreciated, especially how to get and analyze what logs there are.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 422
You can find more details on retrieving the internal Phantom flight logs here.

It does not power on. It tried with a fresh battery and there was the 'pop' of a short and nothing more.

That's an unhappy ending. I will for now on make sure props are tight before each flight

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey folks,

First post and not a happy one.

Was running DroneDeploy and P3P went up to 250' to begin mission in rural area with no obstructions. Wind was gusting a bit. Suddenly it plummeted directly down, tumbling as it went. It hit so hard it left a crater.

Data points:

Bird is a total loss. When I got there, there were only three props attached and the bare motor was covered with mud which suggests to me it had no prop on when it hit. I haven't found the other prop yet.

Battery was new with maybe 10 flights on it.

Props had been attached and hand tightened a couple of successful flights previously.

Everything was bone stock, no third party anything. Probably 20 flights total on it.

Because I was running DroneDeploy I think the only logs are the internal P3 ones. How do I get these off (the P3 will not power up since it is destroyed!).

My best guess as to what happened is that the P3 got hit by a gust and strongly decelerated one of the motors, which caused the prop to fly off. The other scenarios I guess are a seized motor or a total power loss.

Any help appreciated, especially how to get and analyze what logs there are.
Your photo is so hard to look at. I feel badly for you sir.

It's not a much of consolation for you I understand, but hopefully your story will resonate with the folks who insist that props can't come off in flight.

Been there Bro. Sorry for your loss. At least new birds are 799 on Ebay for the whole kit and 704 bird only from DJI. If I had had to take a hit for the original price I would have been sick.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik