Thank you Transport Canada!!!

Reaction score
I am fairly new to UAVs but not to aviation or R/C. I picked up a Phantom 4.

One of the places I wanted to use it was at our model engineers club property which is within the 9 KM no-fly zone so I made an enquiry with the relevant airport and was referred to Nav Canada. After a discussion with Nav Canada (in which they assured themselves that I knew what I was doing) they referred me to the airport manager. The airport manager then referred me to the Tower manager and my flight was approved as long as I phone the tower before flying, after flying, and in the event of a fly-away. It all went smoothly and I got some lovely low-level video.

Being inspired by the success of my first venture, I completed the UAV ground school course. (I already have my ROC-A for air radio.)

According to Transport Canada you can only fly within 9 KM of an airport with a SFOC. According to their (current) rules, you need $100,000 liability insurance to get an SFOC. The best premium I have been able to find is $500 per year. They also told me that ATC did not have the authority to authorize UAV flight within their airspace.

Well isn't this wonderful! If I want to be legal and follow all the rules, it is going to cost me over $500 a year to do aerial video on our club property!

To complicate matters, most UAV liability insurance is for commercial operators and does not cover "recreational use". (Still waiting to hear from the insurance company that covers my home.)

Has anyone found an economical solution to the liability insurance problem?

I don't want to be impolite, but i'v done 3 request to TC, all rejects :-(
I need to get a UAV course (1500$).
Insurance: I have 1,000,000 responsability from my house insurance, but nothing cover me outside of my home ground.

I'm still waiting answer from insurance company and TC for replies. Beside that i fly between 4ham and 5ham , it's less windy, hahahahhahahaha !!

Has anyone found an economical solution to the liability insurance problem?

That is the economical solution. Purchase liability, get an SFOC and you're good to go. We all need to do it when we have set date/time frame to fly within TC's no fly zone areas. There's no cheap/quick solution.

Another registered training program : UAV Training

I dont pay nothing ,i fly Like king of Skype bby :)) No nide nothing pay ,YOU are a free MAN

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You are free to fly, agree... until someone decide to call the police. They arrive at the site where you fly and give you a $$$$ for violating private property. Don't just thing the ONLY Transport Canada can shot at you a "ticket", Provincial Police and Sureté du Québec have the legislation to do so.

PS: That's why i go fly @ 6ham, no winds and no curions people!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic