TFR in Washington and New York areas

Mark The Droner

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I haven't seen this posted anywhere as a thread and it seems newsworthy.

Edit: please see post #9

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

If I'm reading this right, drone owners and other aircraft may not fly within 30 miles of the White House (as opposed to the usual 15 miles), and apparently starting tomorrow, drown owners may not fly in the New York area as shown in the map.

I wonder what this is about? On the surface, it seems to be related to Homeland Security.

Last edited:
You're viewing an aviation chart used by airplane pilots. From what I recall, your Phantom is restricted anywhere within the Washington DC area. To see where you can fly your Phantom in these areas you question go to DJI.com/flysafe or, on your map in your DJI GoApp. There you will find the No Fly Zones in your area.

I know the nofly zones in my area.

My understanding is, per relatively new FAA regulations, drone hobbyists may not fly in a TFR.

Attachments

• AC_91-57A.pdf
    220.2 KB · Views: 337
Thank you for the clarification. However, this doesn't mean you can never fly. That's what a TFR is. It's a temporary measure. VIP visit, Security measure, etc. the dates the TFR is in effect are stated.

This is a "permanent" TFR, Issued in 2010. Click on the chart and it will provide the actual NOTAM:
Issue Date : November 18, 2010 at 1915 UTC
Beginning Date and Time : December 01, 2010 at 0401 UTC
Ending Date and Time : Permanent
Reason for NOTAM : Temporary flight restrictions for Special Security Reasons
Type : Security
Replaced NOTAM(s) : 0/9477: Due to a change in restrictions.

I've been flying my Phantom for three months outside of the no fly zone. That is, outside of the 15 mile radius from the White House.

Yesterday, I went to uavforecast.com and noticed a warning. It says "Warning: 1 FAA TFR nearby, check the map for details."

I've never seen this warning before and I've been to this site many times before.

So you're telling me I've been flying my Phantom illegally since at least Sept 2nd. Right?

You're viewing an aviation chart used by airplane pilots. From what I recall, your Phantom is restricted anywhere within the Washington DC area. To see where you can fly your Phantom in these areas you question go to DJI.com/flysafe or, on your map in your DJI GoApp. There you will find the No Fly Zones in your area.

DJI does not follow or implement TFRs in their No Fly Zones nor do they have 100% correct information so looking at DJI's site alone will not give you the correct information. skyvector.com is a very good resource for TFR information.

Anyway, to clarify, the immediate DC area is called a flight restricted zone (FRZ). This is the area roughly 15 miles from the white house. DJI calls this a no fly zone.

The area outside the DC FRZ, is not really a tfr since it is permanent. It's considered a special flight rules area (SFRA) by the FAA which seems to be the same as a tfr except that it's not temporary. It covers the area between 15 & 30 miles from the white house - roughly. FAA requires UAV pilots to have "specific authorization" to fly in a SFRA and TFR, but the dji software does not restrict flights in these areas at this time.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan