Texas

Reaction score
Is anyone else familiar with Texas drone laws? I am here on the gulf, and have been flying everyday, but I found out Tx laws are a ***** so to speak. Not higher than 8', cant photograph people or property, etc. I really don't want to find out the hard way, if you get my drift. There's a cop living in the rv park I'm in, but its a case of not asking him anything because I don't want him to know I have a phantom, and anyway, I found cops are worried about other things, like speeders and people driving their golf carts into town. Just wondering.

I use a app called Hover, it shows no fly zones. Padre island is mostly no fly zone. I ussally fly in normal areas, cops havent givin me any trouble.

I would download the app. Padre had some issuse with quads filming people on the beach. They made laws to protect people. You can fly on the island but only certain areas

I would download the app. Padre had some issuse with quads filming people on the beach. They made laws to protect people. You can fly on the island but only certain areas
Well, found out, from the app, that my rv park is actually inside the 5 mi radius of an airport! Havent seen any planes on approach or taking off, so they must be coming and going from the north south attitude for runway. I guess it's either call and talk to the airport, or just quit flying while I'm here. And yes, I'm that close, 2.5 mi from airport, but it's not a big airport. Just used by guys who have enough money that they fly to the beach for lunch.

Good to know. I found the app nice for flyig conditions, as well as areas of no fly. I live by a closed airport, but still shows on the map.

I tried the airport, they don't even have an attendant there full time. The website says "if no attendant is on duty, responsibility falls on the pilot". I shot the police chief an email, so I guess we'll know, one way or the other.

Im about 10 minutes from Cowboys Stadium. I wouldnt fly on a game day, but i dont see any laws that would prevent me from standing in a property I can be at and flying around over the stadium?? Its not a no fly zone and wouldnt be occupied. What am I missing?

Peak height is 292 feet

2013 Texas Statutes :: GOVERNMENT CODE :: TITLE 4 - EXECUTIVE BRANCH :: SUBTITLE B - LAW ENFORCEMENT AND PUBLIC PROTECTION :: CHAPTER 423 - USE OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT

Texas statutes basically say you can't capture an image of someone without their permission.
Your local laws & ordinances may vary!

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission"

IANAL, but from reading the linked section it seems that its only a crime if you intentionally surveil a person or property (423.003 makes that illegal, and everything else refers to a violation of 423.003). 423.002 is the list of allowed images from a drone, but it doesn't actually state any punishment or classification for violating that section. Plus, from what I can tell the way that 423.002 is written, anything within 25 miles of a US Border is fair game for anyone (not just law enforcement, exemption 14), as well as if you are under 8' in a public place (exemption 15), or filming any public land (exemption 16).

Anyone in Texas know more about this than I that would like to comment?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20