Texas State Parks,...

Reaction score
So,..we went to a beautiful local State Park. The goal was to fly and film the gorgeous sunset.
At checkn I decided to ask the Park Police about flying. (I didn't want to risk a fine). Sure enough, can't fly in Tx state parks
Watched sunset & filmed on GoPro Hero 4Silver...

Sorry to hear that. I know in MT you still can as there are no rules yet for the state parks here, but I do believe they are currently working on implementing some. Hopefully it won't be an outright ban.

I feel your pain, I live 5 minutes away from the "Grand Canyon of Texas". But as suggested, I'll be looking for private property along the rim and I'll just take off there.

I too was looking into Texas State Parks. I told the police that I would take off outside the park, fly over and get my video, then land back outside the park. So far, a week later, he has not responded. I also included a part of the "office memo" sent to the exec. director from office of director of state parks

Pay close attention to the last example
So far, a year and half after this memo, no State park has a designated area.
upload_2016-7-10_16-30-4.png

Reactions: Falcon900
If anyone is ever in the Panhandle I have permission from a land owner on the rim of Palo Duro Canyon. Would be glad to help someone out.

Reactions: P4Matt
If anyone is ever in the Panhandle I have permission from a land owner on the rim of Palo Duro Canyon. Would be glad to help someone out.

Nice! and I am driving by there in a few weeks....I may hit you up. Oh and your videos are great!

Not to hijack your thread, but a thought about asking for permission. I do often wonder when asked, if their (authority in charge of any given area) are simply responding with their personal opinion of drone flights vs official regulations. I think I will change my future question's from may I, to may I please have a copy of your drone policy. It will be interesting to see what, if any documents they can provide or produce. As they say, rules are rules, and we should expect all parties to abide by them. Sometimes in our favor, sometimes not, but give me facts not opinion.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Here is the entire office memo sent from Texas Parks director Brent Leisure to Carl Smith, executive director, on March 24, 2015 which Smith approved 2 days later. However, in the examples of when flying is permitted, it says "Recreational use when confined to an approved and designated area", as if to imply to the executive director that the individual parks intended to designate these areas to get approval of this ban. To date, no state park in Texas has designated any area to fly.

upload_2016-7-10_19-9-26.png

Then with this poor use of "power" I don't mind flying from afar and then back.

I see this is an old thread but... What I have found is that there is a lot of bluffing going on with law enforcement types until they can actually implement some laws. Rules and policies are not "laws". Privacy laws do not apply to publicly owned lands the way they apply to private property. Safety is a matter of operational limits of the craft and staying within those limits. Right now it is more a matter of how much money (legal fees) one is personally willing to throw at the hobby in order to establish your right to use our public lands in new ways. It is currently a power and ego struggle. Note the fact that this is only an office memo not even TPWL policy and especially not an official rule or state law.

Last edited:
JWarren do you still have and share access to the canyon? Planning a trip thru in a week or so. Would love to fly there.

I went to Palo Duro State Park in April but I cant remember if brought my Phantom,but I know for sure I did in Sept 2015 and it never crossed my mind it would be illegal.I took off right near the lookout area where the gift shop is,I didnt try to hide it but I did not come in contact with anyone that worked at park.I'm finding this post now because I'm going to Lake Livingston StaTE Park this weekend and googled is it legal to fly in Texas state parks and found this thread.I've also filmed in that park before a couple times with no problems.I'm googling it now because of all the paranoia surrounding them now so it looks like I'm a no go for this weekend.I'm going to bring it anyway and ask at the office and see what they say

Reactions: jeronesi2k2002
I too was looking into Texas State Parks. I told the police that I would take off outside the park, fly over and get my video, then land back outside the park. So far, a week later, he has not responded. I also included a part of the "office memo" sent to the exec. director from office of director of state parks

Pay close attention to the last example
So far, a year and half after this memo, no State park has a designated area.
View attachment 59478
It pretty much means that they (Park Officials) can fly, but you can't :-(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers