Texas State Parks going way of National Parks

Reaction score
I received a phone call back from the director of our local state park, Palo Duro Canyon, in regards to a voicemail I left him regarding "mounted aerial photography". He was very nice and said he just got off the phone with the State supervisor to make sure he had everything right but as of now (not sure how if no law is passed) no "drones" will be allowed due to "noise, safety, wildlife harassment and pending FAA regulation."

You could be louder, more dangerous, and harass as much wildlife with a Harley Davidson, but I'm sure they're allowed.

I'm from Texas, and this is depressing news, especially coming on the heels of the recent decision of the NPS to ban UAVs from national parks.

I have to wonder if this "ban" by someone's supervisor is anything more than a single decision by a single administrator. I can easily imagine the guy at Palo Duro calling up his boss, who thinks about it for 30 seconds (or less), and decides "no." It's very, very easy to say "no" in a situation like that.

I have a similar question about the FAA's new proposed "guidelines," or "interpretations," or whatever they are, on the subject of operation of a UAV within the designated radius of an airport (5 miles, according to Congress; 3 miles according to the FAA's proposal). As I read the statute that Congress passed, a UAV operator only has to notify the airport if intending to fly within the designated distance. But the FAA's proposed guidelines seem to require the operator to get Air Traffic Control's permission and to not fly if ATC withholds it. Has anyone had any luck actually getting ATC's permission? Do UAV operators actually try to get permission? It's pretty hard for me to imagine ATC, especially in the current atmosphere, saying anything but a quick "no" when asked for permission, hanging up, and getting back to work. I hope I'm wrong.

El_Flaco0525 and Jwarren,

Do me a favor and write a letter about how frustrating and upsetting this is to you. I have a good feeling this is just like Flaco said and some bureaucrat sitting in an office dictating the "rules". My brother in-law is a well known lobbyist/attorney here in Texas, and I guarantee he will look into this for us. He is a private pilot himself and feels like the FAA is overstepping boundaries as is it(even though this isn't an FAA ban, just a "policy"). I can at least get us some legislation on the current "ban" and find out what legality they have.

I think a letter from a few different pilots in Texas would help in our case though. He can at least forward these to Ted Cruz for review. Policy and law is a huge difference so lets at least try and fight this and at least get some answers.

When I grew up there, Texas was a "free State". This is a **** shame. I expect this kind of crap in CA, but not in TX :( "Drones" aren't 'allowed' because they say so, but there's nothing on the books about it, and they're waiting for the Feds to tell them what to do?? And you're not even in Austin? What is the State Supervisor's name? Does he/she have a public email address? Do planes and helicopters fly over this State park? Anyone fly experimental aircraft in the area? :x

Apparently, the National Park Service has no policy preventing one from flying their drone/quadcopter over the national park, as long as they are not operating the unmanned aircraft from the NPS lands or waters. They only prohibit the operation of the drone/quadcopter within park bounderies.. not the flight over the park. The NPS actually emphasizes this in their own policy memo.

Here is an excerpt from the NPS policy memo dated 19 June 2014. Link here: http://fenceviewer.com/site/index.php?o ... Itemid=938

Paragraph 9.
The NPS has the authority to regulate or prohibit the use of unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS. As a result, the compendium closures required by the Policy Memorandum only apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS within the boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on non-federally (e.g., private or state) owned lands located within the exterior boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to the flight of unmanned aircraft in the airspace above a park if the device is launched, landed, and operated from or on lands and waters that are not administered by the NPS.

srandall25 said:
Apparently, the National Park Service has no policy preventing one from flying their drone/quadcopter over the national park, as long as they are not operating the unmanned aircraft from the NPS lands or waters. They only prohibit the operation of the drone/quadcopter within park bounderies.. not the flight over the park. The NPS actually emphasizes this in their own policy memo.

Here is an excerpt from the NPS policy memo dated 19 June 2014. Link here: http://fenceviewer.com/site/index.php?o ... Itemid=938

Paragraph 9.
The NPS has the authority to regulate or prohibit the use of unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS. As a result, the compendium closures required by the Policy Memorandum only apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS within the boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on non-federally (e.g., private or state) owned lands located within the exterior boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to the flight of unmanned aircraft in the airspace above a park if the device is launched, landed, and operated from or on lands and waters that are not administered by the NPS.

I would think the same would hold true for the TX canyon situation, barring state rules to the contrary?

"The closures do not apply to the flight of unmanned aircraft in the airspace above a park if the device is launched, landed, and operated from or on lands and waters that are not administered by the NPS."

Does that mean we can fly over a national park as long as the craft is launched and lands outside of the park?

macheung said:
"The closures do not apply to the flight of unmanned aircraft in the airspace above a park if the device is launched, landed, and operated from or on lands and waters that are not administered by the NPS."

Does that mean we can fly over a national park as long as the craft is launched and lands outside of the park?
Yes. The NPS states their policy does not prevent one from launching a drone or unmanned aircraft outside the park and flying over the park.

America is a free country proud of its freedom. But it is not even as free as China right now. China doesn't ban drones over any of its national park.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj