Testing software and upgrades

Reaction score
I read with great amusement the different threads on here in relation to the various firmware upgrades, conspiracy theories and such, then the plethora of responses that all claim to be true. Then some folks jump in with a rehash of something they've read earlier and the snowball just gathers momentum. The end result is that there are so many different stories, theories, scare stories, folks frightened to fly and conflicting opinions.

What I'd like to know is, who actually takes their phantom out into a big open space and actually tests the software for themselves?

The rumours about 1.6 restricting ascent speed - who has actually tested this? Can you test at different ambient temperatures where you live? I can't - it's a wet winter here - but wouldn't it be better to run a battery or two through and compare to how it felt before before passing judgement and repeating something that has been read and not actually personally tested?

I read with great amusement the different threads on here in relation to the various firmware upgrades, conspiracy theories and such, then the plethora of responses that all claim to be true. Then some folks jump in with a rehash of something they've read earlier and the snowball just gathers momentum. The end result is that there are so many different stories, theories, scare stories, folks frightened to fly and conflicting opinions.

What I'd like to know is, who actually takes their phantom out into a big open space and actually tests the software for themselves?

The rumours about 1.6 restricting ascent speed - who has actually tested this? Can you test at different ambient temperatures where you live? I can't - it's a wet winter here - but wouldn't it be better to run a battery or two through and compare to how it felt before before passing judgement and repeating something that has been read and not actually personally tested?
I havent got time to actually take my p3 out to fly im always on here reading how not to fly these unsafe,unstable machines ive lost 2mph since updating my firmware and currently in the process of suing dji...watch this space!!o_O

Reactions: BigAl07

I recall at least two members who did test the ascent speed changes with 1.6 and posted their results confirming the changes. I want to say that one of them was @ParsnipHysorter but I'm not certain. Do you recall those and are asking for more, or did you not see them? If you didn't see them, I'll search for them later when I have more time. I'm getting my son ready for school at the moment.

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter

I agree with you. I've kept my P3P and GO app current since I got it last May. With a couple of minor exceptions, it has flown at least as well, if not better each time. And each upgrade has fixed a couple of things and/or added new features. There was one upgrade that broke the VPS last year. And even that wasn't critical, because we could override auto-landings with the left stick or land manually just fine. They fixed it quickly with the next upgrade.

I recall at least two members who did test the ascent speed changes with 1.6 and posted their results confirming the changes. I want to say that one of them was @ParsnipHysorter but I'm not certain. Do you recall those and are asking for more, or did you not see them? If you didn't see them, I'll search for them later when I have more time. I'm getting my son ready for school at the moment.

Yes Parsnip was one. No what I'm doing is asking those who HAVEN'T tested themselves to go and do it, and post based on their personal opinion rather than what they have read.

Let me give you a good example that I used a moment ago on a separate thread. Here's my opinion of the 'Follow Me' mode, as tested by me on a straight road on a bike.

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
At what temperature / battery level?

50°, all battery levels. 60°, all battery levels.

Temperatures are give or take a few degrees. 8 flights so far, did ascending tests all throughout the flights. Obviously there is no scientific evidence, only my perception.

50°, all battery levels. 60°, all battery levels.

Temperatures are give or take a few degrees. 8 flights so far, did ascending tests all throughout the flights. Obviously there is no scientific evidence, only my perception.

You can see the vertical ascent speed on the app screen. Give it full beans and look at the ascent rate. I personally only notice a difference when the battery is depleted. At or close to 100% on 1.6, it's exactly the same 5 m/s 11 mph as version 1.5 and (I believe) all versions before on the P3 models. When the battery dies, then ascent speed is reduced. IMHO, that's not actually a bad thing if it reduces the voltage drop close to 3.3v.

You can see the vertical ascent speed on the app screen. Give it full beans and look at the ascent rate. I personally only notice a difference when the battery is depleted. At or close to 100% on 1.6, it's exactly the same 5 m/s 11 mph as version 1.5 and (I believe) all versions before on the P3 models. When the battery dies, then ascent speed is reduced. IMHO, that's not actually a bad thing if it reduces the voltage drop close to 3.3v.

If that is the case, that would not be a bad thing. I never looked at the ascent rate on the app before, but I'll look at it next flight.

Great thoughts. Unfortunately, once you "test" 1.6, from what I understand, you are screwed. You can't revert back to previous FW versions (pre 1.4). Feel free to correct me if thats also a mistake as I am not willing to test that concept either.

I know this...I'm up to date using beta firmwear and I haven't noticed any differences in speed. Also, it says you can revert back the firmwear but I've not tried it.

I know this...I'm up to date using beta firmwear and I haven't noticed any differences in speed. Also, it says you can revert back the firmwear but I've not tried it.

Beta firmware may give you that option. Does the release FW? Many have stated that you can't get back to pre 1.4 if you install the later releases. I have 1.1.9 on my P3P and I am not considering testing that theory with a later version until I absolutely have to.

Right. 1.5. Period. Not 1.4 or 1.3.20, etc. 1.5. Can't go back prior to that.

Sorry, just saw this thread.

Indeed I tested this and confirmed the somewhat drastic reductions in performance. Not sure why more don't test because its pretty simple to do. I'd have to go back to my notes but starting with 1.6 my vertical ascent speeds are as before at 10-12 MPH but only in the upper 30% or so of the battery. Then it begins to slow until I believe around 60-65% battery I only see 5-6 MPH vertical ascent speeds. Then it stays at that max ascent speed right down to landing time.

Horizontal speeds I have not done exhaustive tests but I also noticed "regular" performance in the top 30% of the battery and some degradation after. Speeds quickly and easily reached 35 MPH as before but in that lower 60% or so of the battery it took much greater time to reach 35 MPH, sometimes not quite able to reach that speed (30-32 MPH).

Repeated on multiple batteries, same results. Outside temperatures around 30 degrees F.

The speeds haven't bothered me too much I guess but I do worry about its ability to fight strong winds if necessary now.

Reactions: Oso
Yes Parsnip was one. No what I'm doing is asking those who HAVEN'T tested themselves to go and do it, and post based on their personal opinion rather than what they have read.

Let me give you a good example that I used a moment ago on a separate thread. Here's my opinion of the 'Follow Me' mode, as tested by me on a straight road on a bike.

Hi there

New member here. Just wondering if the wandering was due to electrical interference? Bearing in mind all those industrial units nearby.

Safe flying

Hi there

New member here. Just wondering if the wandering was due to electrical interference? Bearing in mind all those industrial units nearby.

Safe flying

I understand what you're saying. But no, I've flown up and down that stretch quite often with no ill affects while flying manually.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20