Testing cheap dual OS tablet as FPV

Wow that is cheap. I imagine you still need to employ the Google Play Services workaround to help with lag but the CPU looks decent, and with HDMI too. Might get one.
what is the Google Play services workaround you are referring to? Is there a setting change?

what is the Google Play services workaround you are referring to? Is there a setting change?

1. 'Play Store' app > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." to turn off automatic updating

2. 'Settings' app> Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator

3. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version when prompted.

4. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL > Google Play Services > Enable ....this will enable the older stock version of google play services

Ignore future upgrade requests for Google Maps etc as that will upgrade Google Play Services also. (until there is a proper fix from DJI)

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=16777&page=17#pid151670

Read through page 16/17/18 of this thread for more background on this possible workaround.

For those interested in the Chuwi, look for the Hi8. Only a few bucks more, has a zippier processor and much brighter screen.

Last edited:
I see this unit does not have a magnetic sensor for a compass. same problem I have with the Galaxy tab 4 no magnetic sensor for a compass to work and the nose of the P3 never aligns with the map in the right direction making it very difficult to know where the front of the P3 is at. No GPS either, so how is this tablet supposed to work with FPV?

vi8 doesn't have a compass either and mine lines up just fine with the direction of the P3. Not sure why tablet compass would have anything to do with the P3's alignment. The P3 just relays it's direction and coordinates back to the device and the device plots it.

Wither way. Anyone looking for HDMI, compass, GPS, + every feature you could possibly want in a $90 tablet, probably should look elsewhere. You aren't going to find it here.

Those that just want a sub-$100 monitor for their P3, the Chuwi vi8, now the Hi8, and possibly the Vi10 look to be a pretty good set of devices.

@AsiaFlyer, have you got a chance to test the Hi8?

I am in between Hi8 or Vi8 Ultra (same processor with Hi8 but only 1280x720 and no HDMI), i dont need the HDMI. Would love to get the Hi8 because of much better screen brightness and resolution but worry about the performance/lag in DJI pilot app as it has to render bigger screen (1920). Vi8 seems has better chance for no lag/the least lag as its like the Nvidia Shield which also only 1280.

Last edited:
@AsiaFlyer, have you got a chance to test the Hi8?

I am in between Hi8 or Vi8 Ultra (same processor with Hi8 but only 1280x720 and no HDMI), i dont need the HDMI. Would love to get the Hi8 because of much better screen brightness and resolution but worry about the performance/lag in DJI pilot app as it has to render bigger screen (1920). Vi8 seems has better chance for no lag/the least lag as its like the Nvidia Shield which also only 1280.

Flew with the Hi8 on a job today, performed brilliantly (zero lag) apart from the IPS display reflects the light so much, I had a anti-glare film on it but it was still hard to see, it's a very bright just too reflective. I might try adding another anti-glare film on it.

Bare in mind I am in Thailand and it was very sunny today, will do more tests tomorrow, really like the tablet itself with the dual OS (can update to windows 10 but haven't done it yet), will also put Lightroom on it to see how it handles that.

g-JIYghq0HwdKSUj0eHkzh6_CSF8jSr9F9W9EYuFP68=w1043-h323-no

Reactions: Mordor and asaerong
Flew with the Hi8 on a job today, performed brilliantly (zero lag) apart from the IPS display reflects the light so much, I had a anti-glare film on it but it was still hard to see, it's a very bright just too reflective. I might try adding another anti-glare film on it.

Bare in mind I am in Thailand and it was very sunny today, will do more tests tomorrow, really like the tablet itself with the dual OS (can update to windows 10 but haven't done it yet), will also put Lightroom on it to see how it handles that.
Awesome! thanks for sharing the result! will get myself the Hi8 as well :)

g-JIYghq0HwdKSUj0eHkzh6_CSF8jSr9F9W9EYuFP68=w1043-h323-no
Pleas record a short clip showing the real time video or do a screen recording. :)

Reactions: Mordor

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers