Testing behavior with no props

Reaction score
I just upgraded to 3.06 and wanted to test things before flight. The props have been removed, P2V+ powered up and locked in with 7-8 sats. I engage the motors and when I up on the left-stick, the motors just wind up to full and hold there when stick is released, until I hold left-stick down. Yaw and all right-stick actions seem to respond with typical actions (motors speed up when stick is engaged, idle when stick is not).

I've only run the motors without the props one other time, but don't seem to recall the behavior of the left-stick. Is this normal? I'd hate to find out the hard way when I put the props on and watch it take off. Up, up and away!

They will do that when there is no prop resistance. It's not recommended running motors without props at any throttle speed but idle.

Thanks for the verification. It was just for testing purposes and was not running them at any throttle for an extended period of time. Going out for a test flight later on!

Low KV brushless motors like the ones used in the Phantom generally don't have an issue running in a no load condition (without props) since RPM is governed by the ESC frequency and no load RPM is not that much higher than load RPM. However the lack of airflow to cool the ESCs and motors could create a problem if run on full for longer periods of time. BTW the the throttle up high RPM while the Phantom is stationary will also happen with props installed, the controller doesn't see an altitude change thus cranks the motors up and it will keep the RPM up even if you return the throttle stick to center after you kept the throttle up for a few seconds with or without props installed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj