Testing and boxing up for 5 months...

Reaction score
I'm the proud new owner of a P3a.

I've mentioned in another thread my wife has relented and let me buy one as it was a great price, however I'm not allowed to properly have it til Christmas.... Yay. Can't complain, the fact the Mrs let me have one is good enough for me.

Anyway, my question was that I would like to test it to make sure everything works as it should, what is the best way to do that? What should I look for, how long should I fly it etc as a test only?

Also in regards to the battery, how far shall I let it drop on the 1st flight? I've heard 50%.

Will keeping it stored for 5 months with no activity damage the battery in any way?

Thanks for your help, can't wait til Christmas...! 5 months is a long time.

I would like to test it to make sure everything works as it should, what is the best way to do that?
Fly it outside away from and/or above all obstacles.

Also in regards to the battery, how far shall I let it drop on the 1st flight? I've heard 50%.
As far as you'd like. There is no break-in period for DJI batteries. Just don't fly the battery below 3.3V. See more details here.

Will keeping it stored for 5 months with no activity damage the battery in any way?
Check your batteries at least every 2 months. If you quickly press and release the battery button and the second light is not illuminated or blinking, charge the battery until the 3rd light starts to blink. Then, you can put it back in storage for another 2 months.

Reactions: TnHwyman
Wrap the box with something else in it.

Keep your P3A over at a friends house and get some practice while you maintain those batterys.
Just before xmas put it back in the box.
The wife will be so proud that you learned it so quickly.o_O

...and hope you don't crash learning!!! :eek:
(simply Brilliant T-man1 ;))

Really? I'd get a new wife. If she wants to control you that much then toss her aside. There's way too many great women out there that will encourage you to have fun and never try to hold you back...

Reactions: sonof40
Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 2.11.15 PM.png

I would definitely stand up for yourself and demand that she give you your balls back

What the two above said. But seriously, Id be concerned with turning it on and registering it, not to fly it for 5 months of the warranty period. Then again the far majority of us don't have warranty issues to begin with.

Fly it outside away from and/or above all obstacles.

As far as you'd like. There is no break-in period for DJI batteries. Just don't fly the battery below 3.3V. See more details here.

Check your batteries at least every 2 months. If you quickly press and release the battery button and the second light is not illuminated or blinking, charge the battery until the 3rd light starts to blink. Then, you can put it back in storage for another 2 months.
Cool thanks, would it be best to store it at 100% or lower?

Sent from my SM-G900F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Really? I'd get a new wife. If she wants to control you that much then toss her aside. There's way too many great women out there that will encourage you to have fun and never try to hold you back...
I appreciate the solidarity but we don't have a surplus of money and nearly 700 quid is quite a bit when you have 2 kids, a mortgage and the want to take your family on nice holidays. It was my idea to have it for Christmas, rather than have it as a random purchase.

Five ( 5 ) months seems like a long time. Is it Winter and too cold to fly. Or are you going on a World Cruise. What's up.. Thanks
It was more me not being able to justify buying something just for me off the cuff really, so to make it better in my mind i would rather it as a present.
So now at Christmas I've got something awesome to open. No cruise this year, wish I had the Phantom for our one last year though.

Appreciate the replies and help.

I can also take the odd dig for the record, I appreciate it's a weird justification by me.

What the two above said. But seriously, Id be concerned with turning it on and registering it, not to fly it for 5 months of the warranty period. Then again the far majority of us don't have warranty issues to begin with.
Yeh I have thought about that, not sure what the best thing to do is. Does the warranty start at that point then? Rather than the date of purchase?

I think the warranty would start at the date on the bill of sale.

The battery's discharge to 60%~65%. So if you fly and leave at that percentage it would be the same thing.

Since you just got it. A couple pointers.

Don't start flying with a battery that is not full.

Every time you press the battery button to check the level it restarts the discharge counter.
So if the battery was at 98% and the discharge counter is set for 10 days and you take a peek at nine days. The counter
will wait another 10 days before it starts discharge. If you keep peeking before the 10 days it will never discharge.

Keep reading on the forum. Follow the crash reports. You will soon learn what not to do.

I appreciate the solidarity but we don't have a surplus of money and nearly 700 quid is quite a bit when you have 2 kids, a mortgage and the want to take your family on nice holidays. It was my idea to have it for Christmas, rather than have it as a random purchase.

Been there, raised 2 kids with mortgage, private school, college, vacations, etc. Now as a grandparent of 4+, I can only say that every parent needs to focus on helping their children learn from a young age that they need to prosper and choose a career that pays at least 6 figures yearly. If you haven't chosen a profession that will pay you enough to live the way you want to, then go back to school and become something that will make the ends meet. This is the best advice that you will ever give your children and many need to be steered in the right direction. Even if you're closing on 40, you have plenty of time. Push these types of web pages towards them from a young age so that they can get to where they will live happy and productive lives.
Best Paying Jobs of 2016

Been there, raised 2 kids with mortgage, private school, college, vacations, etc. Now as a grandparent of 4+, I can only say that every parent needs to focus on helping their children learn from a young age that they need to prosper and choose a career that pays at least 6 figures yearly. If you haven't chosen a profession that will pay you enough to live the way you want to, then go back to school and become something that will make the ends meet. This is the best advice that you will ever give your children and many need to be steered in the right direction. Even if you're closing on 40, you have plenty of time. Push these types of web pages towards them from a young age so that they can get to where they will live happy and productive lives.
Best Paying Jobs of 2016
Sweet, mines on the list!! One of the first not medical ones.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj