TESTED weighs in on (potential) DOT Registration Plans

FAA’s Plans for Drone Registration: Task Force Recommendations - Tested.com

"The Department of Transportation task force completely missed the mark on the two biggest issues: drawing an effective line between the potentially harmful models and those that pose insignificant risk, and creating a method to corral (and prosecute) shady flyers."
The author provides some valid points regarding the recommendations. The mathematical analysis to support a .55 lb threshold for registering is an excuse to justify a WAG. Capability and mass should be the drivers for registration, not weight alone.

I also agree with their point that if the registration number doesn't need to be seen from afar... how does this solve anything in terms of "close calls" (and I put that in quotes because the AMA has shown that there aren't as many "close calls" as the FAA report would have one believe)? Tested is right... unless you crash and the feds get to your bird first... you are likely never going to know who was flying the offending vehicle.

My guess (and that's about as scientific as I can state it LOL) is that they want identification in case it crashes or if it's brought down by some other means (shotgun, rocks, t-shirt, fire hose, photon cannon) as well.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik