terrible video quality with phantom 4

Cool footage man. Saw the other phantom flying below at the end of your vid.
Yeah that was my buddy's p3p. Lol at first when I was editing I thought it was a seagull but after production I noticed it was his bird. This p4 actually films very nice . It's a shame YouTube wasn't letting me upload the 4k video due to not compatible file . I had to downgrade. Thanks

thought I should do a follow up to my dramas with my new Phantom 4...in starting off this thread I said that the video quality from my p4 was terrible. This was my first phantom so I had nothing to compare it to. I received heaps of interesting and helpful feedback from the forum..thanks to everyone. I've since taken it back to the New Zealand agents and they think it's fine...they've compared it to their p3 and p4 and feel the footage from mine is similar to theirs...that's good enough for me. I've since started shooting everything in 4k which gets the quality up a lot. Thanks again, everyone.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
And now its all turned to custard again....as per my last post I had decided to carry on with phantom I had after the New Zealand agents decided that my footage looked comparable to their p4. Have been filming for the last 2 weeks with no problems , including a paid job. I went out yesterday to grab some footage for another paid job and suddenly the softness and mushiness is back in the footage. It's completely unusable. I decide to go out and do one more test; the first clip is terrible but the first is perfect. Will be taking it back for a replacement. That's not consistent enough for a professional environment.

Any chance the color mode switched to Dlog without noticing? Sometimes when I'm using different devices (iPhone vs iPad mini vs iPad Pro) or have closed/re-opened (or updated) the Go app I notice my parameters and settings change. I know it's supposed to be stored on the bird itself.. so that shouldn't be it, but I know mine changes up sometimes. I'm guessing those samples are different flights/different days, is it just all mush/all modes right now, or does it vary flight to flight?

I'm starting to realize that dlog setting in the p4 isn't good to use. I'll be testing none setting with custom set to -2 -2 -2
There is a video on YT that talks about DJI dlog is worthless on the i1 x3 and all phantoms.
I try this an report back.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Any chance the color mode switched to Dlog without noticing? Sometimes when I'm using different devices (iPhone vs iPad mini vs iPad Pro) or have closed/re-opened (or updated) the Go app I notice my parameters and settings change. I know it's supposed to be stored on the bird itself.. so that shouldn't be it, but I know mine changes up sometimes. I'm guessing those samples are different flights/different days, is it just all mush/all modes right now, or does it vary flight to flight?
Any chance the color mode switched to Dlog without noticing? Sometimes when I'm using different devices (iPhone vs iPad mini vs iPad Pro) or have closed/re-opened (or updated) the Go app I notice my parameters and settings change. I know it's supposed to be stored on the bird itself.. so that shouldn't be it, but I know mine changes up sometimes. I'm guessing those samples are different flights/different days, is it just all mush/all modes right now, or does it vary flight to flight?[/QUOTE

I checked that Alex...I have it set to none ...only difference I've made is getting an iPad mini within the last two days but I've done some shooting with the mini that was fine...it's just a random problem..my biggest worry is convincing the New Zealand rep for Dji there's a problem...I sent the rubbishy stuff off to him and he thought it was fine.....I'm a professional video editor and cameraman and know the difference. When the compression on this things collapses even 4K looks worse than hd.

The only thing I've done differently is buy an iPad mini but I've shot with that and everything was fine. I know what you mean by the settings will just randomly change. the whole thing is too random for me.

Well I have had mine for 2.5 weeks and seriously disappointed with it. Whats odd though is that some things look good and other look really crap. I don't think they are all faulty, but believe dji need to correct problem through an update. Rumours say that the more expensive inspire users are in the same boat since the recent firmware update. Have you updated yours?
I'm not a professional or anything like that. I have a good quality 4K curved TV, and when I look at the unedited videos, taken in vivid, they're impressive to say the least, everyone who has seen them. I can't tell on internet if it's compression or if it's your original.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm not a professional or anything like that. I have a good quality 4K curved TV, and when I look at the unedited videos, taken in vivid, they're impressive to say the least, everyone who has seen them. I can't tell on internet if it's compression or if it's your original.

It's just like phantom 4 man said, sometimes the quality is great and other times it's awfull....making it very difficult to trust in a professional scenario.

Reactions: Sim597
Thats true. I took sucha nice video( or so i thought) of hk skyline wid a nice sunset only to find out it was quite grainy and quality wasnt as good as my vids before videos? Watching on 4k tv as well. Totally not trusty. Quite disapointed. Wanted to take this thing to an exotic island but now hv to play around wid settings again. Btw i never use noise reduction as it makes it worst with movement.

Can someone out there in phantom land take a look at these two videos and tell me whether that's normal quality for the phantom 4. They're both shot in uhd 4k with completely standard camera settings. As I've said in earlier posts I've had no problem with it for the last couple of weeks, now this. I've shown both examples to the new zealand dji rep and he says it's just the way the footage looks, sometimes, and if he was to return it to China for inspection they'd say the same thing. Please download the examples, don't watch in dropbox as it's very crappy playback.

The first example was shot in perfect sunshine, all standard camera settings.

Dropbox - DJI_0001.MOV

The second was shot late evening, setting sun....all standard camera setting

Dropbox - DJI_0002.MOV

This last example is what I've been getting from the camera which I think is very good.

Dropbox - DJI_0002 (fcp7).mov

Here are blow ups from the footage:

Dropbox - flyover lyttellton freeze crop.tif

Dropbox - track in over trees freeze crop.tif

Can someone out there in phantom land take a look at these two videos and tell me whether that's normal quality for the phantom 4. They're both shot in uhd 4k with completely standard camera settings. As I've said in earlier posts I've had no problem with it for the last couple of weeks, now this. I've shown both examples to the new zealand dji rep and he says it's just the way the footage looks, sometimes, and if he was to return it to China for inspection they'd say the same thing. Please download the examples, don't watch in dropbox as it's very crappy playback.

Dropbox - DJI_0001.MOV

Dropbox - DJI_0002.MOV

This last example is what I've been getting from the camera which I think is very good.

I have no way other then the way you posted them to watch. On my small phone (6+) they seem fine at first. Although, it sounds weird, it looks a little "dead" can't explain it, I'll have to get back to you, let me watch a couple of my newer vids to compare, hopefully someone else will chime in, the trees have no detail that for sure, but the homes and water look good

Dropbox - DJI_0001.MOV

Dropbox - DJI_0002.MOV

What do your pics look like? This is an example of how the images should look (still)
Camera quality phantom 4 excellent

Reactions: wingtip85
I recommended this videos if you will like the best camera settings for your bird.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've just bought my Phantom 4 and am pretty shocked by the video quality, especially in d-log where trees and bushes have no detail at all. I've tested just about every variable possible but had an interesting thing happen when I switched over to Mpeg-4 from .mov....the video quality seemed to improve significantly...especially the 4k.....the 2.7k was better also but still seemed very low res for a frame size considerably larger than 1080p. Is anyone else noticing these problems...is the fault in the camera...should I return it?
I do my editing in fcpx.
I'm shocked as well! Just shot at a park today in D LOG and the trees had TERRIBLE definition. Much worse than my Phantom 3. Anyone ever figure out a solution?

Hi chris....I haven't tried d log for a long time...just gave up on it. There is quite a few posts on the net about it being broken on the phantom 4. I've been having a problem with two drones I've been using where, when shooting in 4K, the bit rate appears to lower....this is using all standard settings. I do wonder if these issues are related...the dlog thing looks like it's caused by a lowering of compression.
I've noticed that just before these cameras produced crappy footage the Go app had booted up in photo mode....this was not the settings I had the machine in when I powered down.
I've been able to produce super sharp footage all week by shutting down the app first...then I've shut down the craft or controller next...not sure about if craft first or controller first affects the issue. On boot up I always make sure the controller is powered up first and then I turn on the app then the craft....I follow that by making sure the video function is engaged and the settings are where they were when I shut the craft down ...if it comes up in photo mode, and that wasn't how it was when I powered down, I restart the whole process...using this method I've managed to reproduce sparkling footage every time.....if I don't do this my footage looks soft and trees look posturized. I'm sure there's a bug here somewhere. Ive read some phantom 3 owners talking about a bit rate decrease when in hd1080, 60fps. The way they clear the problem is by flicking from photo mode back to video.
I'm wondering if the dlog issue is caused by something similar.

You are working with over exposed video yet you state its for a client.. Running before you can walk.

Get the settings nailed down and looking nice before you get clients.

Attachments

• 1464524398678.jpg
    1464524398678.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 410

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.