terrible video quality with phantom 4

Reaction score
I've just bought my Phantom 4 and am pretty shocked by the video quality, especially in d-log where trees and bushes have no detail at all. I've tested just about every variable possible but had an interesting thing happen when I switched over to Mpeg-4 from .mov....the video quality seemed to improve significantly...especially the 4k.....the 2.7k was better also but still seemed very low res for a frame size considerably larger than 1080p. Is anyone else noticing these problems...is the fault in the camera...should I return it?
I do my editing in fcpx.

If it's not crystal send it back, it's a 2300 au chopper. You have the right to send it back when dji makes 1 billion dollars a year.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

thanks for your reply...it's the first phantom I've owned and there's some pretty weird stuff going on!! I've seen some beautiful stuff online so am wondering what on earth's wrong with my one. I tried d-log and that was simply unusable! I don't expect it to be perfect but the quality seems quite poor in everything except 4k, oddly enough.

Ok so when you see your videos on your computer how do they look? Fuzzy ? Or is it fuzzy after you upload?

.mov should be pristine, sounds like a problem with the cam. I only shoot in .mov on my advanced, these videos are top quality.

I'm pretty confused now to be quite honest....the stuff I shot yesterday using .mov is terrible, both d-log and standard....today I've shot using mpeg4 and the quality seems alot better but not amazing....2.7k still looks pretty average....I would expect it to be quite a bit better than 1080p.

there are others reporting poor quality as well but not everyone....so your experience of phantoms is they're pretty sharp and impressive?

Ok there will be others with a p4 that can assist you with the settings, as I don't own a p4 I'll end it here, sounds like a settings issue not the cam.

D-log mode gives you a very flat video straight out of the camera, it is only if you are really into editing your video. I don't do much adjustment to the colour of my video, so I only shoot in Normal mode or even Vivid mode if I am too lazy :D

Another obvious thing is make sure you are viewing the video from the micro SD card, not from your phone or tablet. Some people have made this embarrassing mistake.

Yes video from the sd only.. Hopefully you get some feedback from people with a p4,

I've been doing all my viewing off the card. I think I've got myself into a bit of trouble here.....Here's a link to something I did the other day in 1080p...can other users of the p4 confirm that's what the quality is supposed to be like...it's a pro res 422 file
Dropbox - DJI_0021.MOV

I've been doing all my viewing off the card. I think I've got myself into a bit of trouble here.....Here's a link to something I did the other day in 1080p...can other users of the p4 confirm that's what the quality is supposed to be like...it's a pro res 422 file
Dropbox - DJI_0021.MOV

How large is the file you uploaded? In mbs?

...not long after doing this footage which was done .mov I decided to experiment with dlog....the results from this where terrible....complete mushyness in trees and bushes. I became so distracted by how horrible this was I forgot about the first footage I shot which Ive just posted. I will do some more test tomorrow going back to .mov but no dlog and report back.

...not long after doing this footage which was done .mov I decided to experiment with dlog....the results from this where terrible....complete mushyness in trees and bushes. I became so distracted by how horrible this was I forgot about the first footage I shot which Ive just posted. I will do some more test tomorrow going back to .mov but no dlog and report back.

I have 2 different movie editors, 1 of them known as wondershare would not read mov files properly so I bought a second program called movavi that would read the phantoms video without grain. I hope your original video to pc doesn't look like this, if so there is a problem. It's all about how your software interprets the video.

thanks for your reply....I use apple's fcpx....I'm a professional cameraman/editor....fcpx works best with .mov files and should have no problem with the camera's mov files.

i'm just in the process of uploading another 1080 clip I did this evening...my problem is I've never owned a phantom before so don't have anything to compared it too......

thanks for your reply....I use apple's fcpx....I'm a professional cameraman/editor....fcpx works best with .mov files and should have no problem with the camera's mov files.

Well there is a serious problem then, 500mb is more than enough, and all I see is washed out grass, movavi on a smaller file like 160mbs I can see each blade of grass with a 3 minute movie, does your original video look like this? ie on your Mac?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj