Terrible signal performance

Hi guys, hopefully someone can help.

I've just taken my P3S on a flight to the local park and have just fitted the Argtek antenna mod to it. Control of the phantom was fine, however completely lost video signal at 50 my (app shows disconnected, grey screen, no WiFi showing) the WiFi dropped to 2 bars before cutting out altogether. I'm on 1.6.8.0 in the UK so CE mode. Has anyone got any ideas or have I wasted my money. Spoke to the shop (Jessops) and they informed me that they couldn't exchange or refund it as it had been flown, and that it would have to go in to DJI for inspection/Repair (does anyone know how long this takes)

Hope someone can help!!!!

Sent from my SM-T715 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Meaning the RC Signal?
Your Video and Telemetry was still there?

This is good news, both times mine was screwed up it, it was only good for selfies, I also had a single finger bird in the air.
yes my issues are ONLY with RC signal, video & telemetry are always present with good signal strength, only Radio Control signal is what I'm having issues with

UPDATE: just downgraded FW to 1.5.7+. Flew from my back garden with loads of WiFi interference and got over 400feet before I lost video. The same flight earlier today, again with the Argtek fitted was 175 feet before video signal was lost. The ONLY difference between flights was the FW. 1.6.80 gave 175 feet. 1.5.7+ 450 feet

Sent from my SM-T715 using PhantomPilots mobile app

For what its worth I tried a few things in the app today. I turned off hardware decoding and cleared the flight path and caches and i got out to 475m .... not sure if those changes had anything to do with it, but earlier today I was in the 300 m range again. Still on FW 1.5.7 and App 2.7.1

Tonight's effort with the downgraded FW (1.5.7+) and Argtek in the local park gave me 1480 feet. Would have easily gone a lot further, but lost LOS due to some trees. Perfect video feed and control signal. Finally getting decent, reliable range. Double my best range with stock antenna. I know it's not the massive range FCC people get, but for CE with trees around, it's good enough for me. Will be flying in Scotland in a few weeks in huge open spaces with no wifi or trees, so should get something really decent!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Tried to film Some wind turbines while away at cape cod today. They were only 200 m away and I couldn't get anywhere near them. I was getting so frustrated. Contacted DJI about 5 days ago and after they suggested the obvious they told me I would have to send it in for repair once I got home... Guess that's where everything is at. Also have been following a Facebook group and about every 3 days someone posts complaints about this issue... Dji might have their hands full of the only solution is to send it back...

Also couldn't help but thinking today while trying to film the windmills what it would be like if I was getting paid to film things like that and my equipment failed me so badly. I would be wicked pissed about not being able to complete a job and losing a client. Not good. Luckily for me it's just a hobby.

If you were paid to film you would have a backup. I had a professional photographer rent my P2V+ for a day, he needed some picts by a certain day. He had lost his P2 in the Columbia river. He now has a P3P. I lost that P2V+ in the woods.
Must of shots in the air he has a friend with a plane.
Browse | Beautiful Hood River | hood river / columbia river gorge photo blog by blaine franger

I have seen a few people on here that couldn't do there scheduled shoot.
You saw part of my book mark list that is just based on your symptom. I think I have seen about 2 a week since August on this forum.

Hi RodPad its been rain and wind here for 2 months so all our "paddocks" would bog a duck. I have have been following yours and others posts on this issue and am now at 1.57 and 2.4.2 This is the 1st app I used when I got the phantom in Late December not sure about the FW .every change has made little difference "Weak signal" at 15 m on both boosted and stock controller .I haven't been game to fly it and conditions haven't been suitable anyway.
I think I will have to send mine to Sydney (no warrant )Quoted $115$hr !I wonder if it is worth it ? Did you send yours back ?
I notice if you look at the FW version with the AC off it is different to when it is on .Does this mean anything?

I sent mine in for repair and bought an Advanced I will sell the Standard when it comes back

Mine is currently at DJI for repair (after a 2 1/2 week ordeal with customer support, freaking terrible response times). Seems like this is the only solution.

I am wondering if anyone has a solid way to address this, other than send it in. That I am not doing, really can't afford the advanced. I've read countless threads with lots of opinions but nothing real solid. I have unit firmware 1.6.8 and app software 2.8.3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I would try downgrading your FW as described above and in other posts .It didn't work for me but has worked for some.

Well, got the new DBS Mods antenna in today. I was able to go much farther than before, which doesn't say much since I could only go about 60 feet before it lost signal and RTH, but I got about 600 feet up and still had 4/5 bars. Went about 400 or so feet distance wise as well. Despite having better range, the video signal was constantly cutting in and out and is much worse after the antenna install.
I was constantly going from full signal, to loss of signal, to low signal, to no video signal, to normal but it never RTH. Guess I will downgrade the firmware and see what happens.

Downgraded the firmware to 1.5.7 and still having the same issues. It even might be a little worse. At a loss of words at this point.

Doesn't sound very encouraging, AustrianOak82 - I had thought the DBS mod antenna units also increase video feed distance as well as flight distance? Was considering buying one.

Downgraded the firmware to 1.5.7 and still having the same issues. It even might be a little worse. At a loss of words at this point.
Well, it did, but extended the range that was already terrible to begin with. So still not even close to where it should be out of the box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I did exactly that you have done .I was getting 230m with the stock controller in open country Installer the DBS(thus voiding warranty) and was getting 750 m on a good day in one direction only ,mostly 500m .I trie replacing the pigtail lead to the 5.8GHz transmitter since I was losing controller link not video I even took it to a very experience electronic guy I know who tested all leads and connections .In the proses I upgraded FW Now I get 15m range no matter what I do Downgraded etc still the same even bought a second controller ,still the same .In the end I sent it for repair or a quote at least since I'm paying and bought an Advanced I only got 10 flights out of the Standard If I was buying a non lightbridge drone and lived in the US the Autel sounds a much better option to me .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl