Terrible signal performance

It's a bit tricky to downgrade the go app on iOS you need to go threw a 3rd party unless you have backed up your iPhone hence the reason I have to use a Spaire old android phone I have , but I would seriously put money on it your problem is the go app,, I accidentally had auto update apps turned on my iPhone hence why I'm in same situation on iOS , best of it I'm aware of the problem of the go app and auto update should always be turned of on phone,,, I no I no I forgot,,,,, I've helped quite a few lads on the phantom groups to overcome this signal/range issue problem

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Have you got a android or can you get 1 just to try ,,, I'll prove it to you,,, just type in download dji go app 2.8.0 APK ,,,, this is the version before the Facebook live update

Believe it or not it sounds crazy but all phantom standard are different it's like they have a mind of their own, wat works on my phantom standard may not work on yours but from what you have told me and from the 2 dozen I have helped others on the groups I would seriously put money on it ,,ITS YOUR DJI GO APP and it doesn't matter if it's iOS or android it's just very easy on android to downgrade it and go straight to 2.8.0 ,,,, all the best and keep me informed

This is my android and flys great and signal/range is awesome on this combination of firmware and go app 1300 meters and still got video on a phantom standard that's friking awsom and this is my iOS = 50 meters max and loosing signal all the time
63f0b724692afd51328693ec4e0df680.jpg

4a26c57cc018bdb4484c4355de9edd38.jpg

Believe it or not it sounds crazy but all phantom standard are different it's like they have a mind of their own, wat works on my phantom standard may not work on yours but from what you have told me and from the 2 dozen I have helped others on the groups I would seriously put money on it ,,ITS YOUR DJI GO APP and it doesn't matter if it's iOS or android it's just very easy on android to downgrade it and go straight to 2.8.0 ,,,, all the best and keep me informed

"from the 2 dozen I have helped others on the groups"
Please give me at least six links.

Here s a question. Have you gone from one version of the app on one device down to another version of the app on that same device and noticed improvement? Or only on an older version of the app on a different device? In which case it may be the device that's improving/impairing performance.

Last edited:
If your asking me a have not gone backwards on apps. If you had a connection problem between the remote and the mobile that would be different. Your poor connection is the transmission from the remote to the bird.

I don't thing a mobile device or software setup is going to fix, how they fixed mine.

IMG_6165.JPG

Rod

I was asking lee ford just to try and narrow down his success. I agree with you though it sounds weird to think an app caused radio problems . Only thing I can think of is that maybe there really aren't radio signal problems and that they are only incorrectly perceived problems misinterpreted by the app. Just thoughts....

Let's say for instance signal strength is interpreted by the app with values that range from 0 - 100. 100 being perfect signal and 0 being no signal. If there were a line of code or something in the app that somehow mistakenly misinterpreted those values and was reading A value of 100 as 80, 50 as 30 etc etc. now all of the sudden the app thinks there is a weak RC signal and displaying such on your screen until it initiates a RTH. (Or does the RC initiate the RTH or do we even know?) know what I'm saying, maybe it is possible.

I was asking lee ford just to try and narrow down his success. I agree with you though it sounds weird to think an app caused radio problems . Only thing I can think of is that maybe there really aren't radio signal problems and that they are only incorrectly perceived problems misinterpreted by the app. Just thoughts....

I have got 2.8.3 on iOS and signal/range no good 50 meters max ,,, so I use android as it's easy to downgrade the dji go app on android,, I try 2.8.3 on android and my signal/range no good still 50 meters so I downgrade fking go app to 2.8.0 and signal range and video signal range is awsom 1300 meters easily and farther,,,, it is the go app not the device,, when my iOS was on 2.8.0 and my phantom firmware 1.6.80 my phantom standard was the best it's ever been I have been to 1 mile max ,, but I accidentally had auto update apps turned on my iOS devices 2.8.0 and 2.8.1 was the very last 2 go apps that worked ,,,,,, if you guys have downgrade your firmware from 1.6.80 to 1.5.7 and you signal range is still crap then it will be 100% you dji go app,,, this has been tried and tested quite a few times on the Facebook groups ,,,,I don't no why i don't make these things but it's the fix I have found and I have told others to follow and it's been successful, that's all I can say guys

Well I successfully down graded dji go to 2.8.0... Want to put a fresh install of 1.6.8 firmware on so im going to down it back to 1.5.7 again and then re-up. And make sure my firmware log files look good and everything. Will test after dinner and keep you guys posted.

Mine is just like yours. I loose singalong in and out without moving the Drone. I shows disconnected, won't RTH. For some reason I still have control, I can maneuver. However I can't fly any distance (150' max) scared of loosing it. I am going to try another controller tomorrow. If his works I'll send mine in for repairs. P3S by the way.

Mine is just like yours. I loose singalong in and out without moving the Drone. I shows disconnected, won't RTH. For some reason I still have control, I can maneuver. However I can't fly any distance (150' max) scared of loosing it. I am going to try another controller tomorrow. If his works I'll send mine in for repairs. P3S by the way.
Yours is the not the same you are loosing the signal being sent from the phantom to the remote.
You can still operate / control the phantom, that is why RTH doesn't activate.

Added:
Pretty close to this one,
Standard - latest firmware p3s
Added: +1
Question about Radio, uplink, downlink, frequency, & telemetry
Added: +2
Lost signal (but not really)
I'am done ;)

Last edited:
Let's say for instance signal strength is interpreted by the app with values that range from 0 - 100. 100 being perfect signal and 0 being no signal. If there were a line of code or something in the app that somehow mistakenly misinterpreted those values and was reading A value of 100 as 80, 50 as 30 etc etc. now all of the sudden the app thinks there is a weak RC signal and displaying such on your screen until it initiates a RTH. (Or does the RC initiate the RTH or do we even know?) know what I'm saying, maybe it is possible.

Like your thought on the 0-100 theory, made me think so more but.
Try flying a certain distance like 100' up then fly out until you loose signal until RTH activates.
Then try the same test with out the app.:)

Here is a test I did, I set the phantom on like a bar stool say 100' to 150' away. I then found a way to hold the remote in kind of a electronics vise, like for soldiering. I then watched the signal of coarse you have to use the app. Without moving a freaking thing the signal would jump from good, bad, ugly and lost. Just all over the place.

I also tested by blocking with foil and etc.
Phantom 3-Std Weak Remote Signal

My theory on RTH,
Best Method to RTH?
Rth no Good
Question about Radio, uplink, downlink, frequency, & telemetry
Lost signal (but not really)

Sorry, some dups but I really like figuring out how stuff works.
I always leave myself open for somebody to tell me I am incorrect.
Rod

Reactions: leeford
Ok just finished my test flight with no luck. I have app version 2.8.0 and latest firmware on the phantom. And can say performance was actually worse as with the older app I actually have video downlink issues to go along with RC signal problems. Also did some screen capture with autopilot to show the RC signal bounce around as numerical values along with altitude and distance. I also made a second screen capture while I was running a panorama to show how the RC was all over the place even though the phantom was staying in one spot. So while I was hoping for a nice easy fix l, unfortunately this did not work for me. Also can confirm before I went back to Fw 1.6.8 I had the camera connected and noticed poor signal while running Fw 1.5.7 on app version 2.8.0 just with he phantom on the ground and being right next to it. So back to square one and I'll probably be giving dji a call I guess...

Yeah this is so stupid, I try to post everything that has been tried hoping somebody will think of something new.

I made the do it your self windsurfer, it might help some on your trip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues