Terrible signal performance

Reaction score
Ok I've been trying to figure this out for days now. I've read so many threads. It seems a lot of people are having the same issue I am after the 1.6.8 update for the p3s. I do think I have something new to share. After seeing the trick to downgrade the firmware of the RC I tied it myself, but after holding the academy hat button I found something I didn't expect or see. It says "get firmware version failed" (I'll provide a screenshot) I have tried all the other fixes including resyncing the RC, even found an old firmware file and forced that firmware successfully downgrading the phantom to the previous Fw (still no joy there same message on the hat trick screen) then tried reupgrading back to 1.6.8 thinking it would wipe the RC firmware clean and start fresh. But still get that same message "get firmware version failed"... Like a lot of people my RC signal is terrible lately. It drops in and out at low altitudes and short distances. Either it's the firmware on the RC or a wire is loose somewhere. Anyone else have any suggestions. Again, I know there are other threads dealing with the signal issue, but never seen anyone bring up this message, so I thought I would throw it out there....
3405bc0c356225432a8a43622b6fab12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Man this is so frustrating. Are you still getting crappy RC signal? I can't seem to come up with any fix. I even tried it out in the middle of nowhere yesterday to be sure there was no interference, but it still sucked. The signal would be fine and then just drop out of nowhere. Part of me wants to think its a loose connection in the drone but with so many other people complaining about the same thing after the latest firmware update I honestly don't know what to think. All I do know is I'm supper annoyed and will be away on vacation in 3 weeks, which was one of the main reasons I dropped over $400 on this thing.

Reactions: BillyP13
Your not going to like this,
Follow the link that is on this link.
This was earlier today,
Phantom 3 Standard Range

So I'm a slow typer with bad spelling.
It's easiest to pass links.

How long have you had it?

I have a lot of book marks on this problem.

I have watched this since August.

I was the first,
Phantom 3-Std Weak Remote Signal

I have only had it a couple months. Ordered it April 8th from Amazon to be exact. Worked beautifully at first. I had a rough landing a few flights before I noticed the issue (tipped it over in the middle of a road). The first flight right after the hard landing I didn't noticed any issues but at the same time it was a way point mission using autopilot so maybe I just didn't noticed, but the way points were a pretty good distance and it should have RTH in the middle of the mission if the signal dropped. Then some time passed and I was showing it to my buddy in the back yard. That's when I noticed the signal issue started. That was about 2-3 weeks ago. As far as firmware I cannot remember at what point I updated. And I think the firmware log is all screwed up because I kept deleting it while trying to down grade and I have a bunch of 2014 dates on it and it just confuses the crap out of me. I am very temped to get a set of screw drivers to open up the bird and see if I have a lose connection as pictures in some of those links you posted here. Have you done that with yours?

Mine is operating correctly, I have only looked in the remote, it looked fine.

I did get it to downgrade using the sd card to 1.5.7 + but it still gave me signal problems on that version. I did not "force" it with the link button however (so it re-did the modules as described in that link???) maybe I will give that a try. Is down grading what helped for you? If so to what version. I was only able to get down one step and like I said that didn't seem to help. But I wonder if the "forced" method will allow me to go to other versions as well.

Last edited:
Don't know, this are newer post then my last failure, but yours is already broke.
I have had the firmware / remote problem twice, both times I sent it in for repair.

This was the one I was looking for, his firmware failed and he finally got it to take. Different issue.

www.phantompilots.com/threads/firmware-update-fail.80551/

How long did it take to get back after you sent it out for repair. I think I'm still covered under a warranty if I can't figure this out on my own. I'll be trying a few things tomorrow if they don't work I'm not sure what else to do.

Last time, California had it for 2 weeks, I will look at some of my posts tomorrow. Get a hold of them and get a RA# rolling. Make sure they repeat your email address to you and your return address. They did and the still ****ed it up. Took some days before that was fixed, that is also in some of my posts.:eek:

Ok I may have to after my trip, I really want to get SOME footage with it even though I may be way more limited with it than I would like. Hopefully in the mean time I can just find a fix. But if not I'll send it out when I return home mid July.

At least call them before you leave, see if they can give you a fix.

It's you dji go app that's the problem 2.8.3 is the problem,, the firmware 1.6.80 is good,,,,, do you use android or iOS ?? I have both my iOS is on the newest 2.8.3 wich gives me terrible signal problems like your self,, if I use android and also use the newest go app 2.8.3 it's still terrible,, if I roll the phantom firmware back from 1.6.8 to 1.5.7 it's still terrible but if I roll the dji go app Bk to 2.8.0 it's fantastic I can do 1300 meters very easily phantom standard on 1.6.80 firmware and 2.8.0 go app

58334d07e39dd83abae8e393135f854a.jpg

You know I did give his a thought. How can I roll back the app. I have an iPhone 6+ newest version. Of iOS. I'm not sure if I have it backed up on iTunes with a previous version of the DJI app.... Is there some way to find it and down load it (at work right now can't really go looking on my iMac in iTunes for an old version)

To many people do not understand how the updates work and are sending phantoms Bk for a simple firmware or go app downgrade,,,, or if you want something that doesn't mess up get lichi

I Really hope you are right as this would be such an easy fix.

Although I can also say I got bad performance running it on auto flight logic's autopilot too... It seemed a little better running on that but still not "normal"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan