Terrible range both video and control - Taranis

Reaction score
Hi all.

I added a vtx and exchanged the factory receiver for a FRSKY X8R to work with my Taranis remote.
I had an incident where due to shaky hands, I popped a component on the main board which killed the power cable that is combined with the video output cable. Read here: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8387

Anyway, this was my first test since I completed the changes and so far the range is terrible for both video and the control.
Best I could do was about 150m straight up. Flying horizontally about 20m off the ground, I could only get about 100m before my video signal started breaking up and my Taranis was warning me of reduced RSSI.

Here is my equipment and I will attach photos of placement etc.
I am using Taranis remote with X8R receiver. 1 antenna is down the front right leg and the 2nd is through a factory hole on the side and mounted horizontally out one of the arms to provide diversity.
I am using a new model Flysight 5804 32 channel 400mw vtx from RangeVideo http://tinyurl.com/kvzytx9
I am using Skyzone 32 channel goggles with diversity receiver.
The antennas are BlueBeam ultra from IBcrazy. The vtx antenna is mounted under the Phantom and facing directly down.

Any ideas why I have such reduced signals, both video and control????
Any help is very appreciated!!! Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 790
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 731
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 777
Don't know the Taranis. But for the FPV, check RP-SMA vs. SMA on your antenna connections. Second antenna may be a bit close to the ESC / motor. Try just down the other leg for now. Otherwise everything looks fine.

FWIW, mine are set up like this. So far, no issues with range in fairly urban areas:

antennas.jpg

With respect to the control issues, I replaced my receiver for a Futaba R2008SB a few weeks ago and had the same problems with range. I tried everything to rectify it. In the end I purchased some 400mm extension antennae (they were specifically Futaba ones but the fitting is pretty standard I believe) and since relocating the antenna tips to the bottom of the legs I've not had any more problems and flown waaaaayyyyy past anything I did with the stock tx/Rx.

See my post about it here http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7573#p67649

Maybe worth seeing if you can extend your antennae and get them away from all the electrical interference that's being kicked out in the centre of the Phantom.

As for the Video..... you may want to think about a Helical antenna on your goggles? They do seem to make a difference. Remember that you don't get good reception stood under your P2..... you'll need to fly it away from you a little before you'll get a stronger signal.

I had already changed out the stock receiver cables for longer ones so I have nought room to mount them anywhere. I will try moving the one close to the esc to a different spot.
I need to investigate the sma / rp sma thing.

Hopefully I can spend some time today testing.

Thanks!

I had one of mine close to an ESC and it was awful. As soon as I moved that to the bottom of the leg I didn't have any more issues. Try to sight the antennae where they get maximum exposure with as little being blocked by anything metal in all orientations.

Moving the rx antenna away from the esc and closer to the middle of the body made no difference.
I ran out time to try moving it to the old eom leg location.

The vtx stock antenna did seem to perform better but could not really test due to limitations on the control side
In another thread, a person limed to have disassembled the x8r stock antennas and they were regular dipole antennas inside with a larger plastic case. If true, than the frsky extension antennas I bought should work well.

I tried putting it closer to the centre of the body also. The problem seems to be that the signal is easily obscured and blocked by anything metal. The original P2 antennae were placed down the legs to get them away from the internals and I think the only sure way to get reliable signal is to do the same with any replacements.

I will try that next. Not sure when as we are starting a cold front for these of the week. Oh look, something new, snow and cold!

hahahaha.... I'll swap you snow and cold for rain, rain, rain and.... oh yeah, rain ;-)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic