terminal velocity of a phantom

Dude, are you serious? :lol:

turbodronepilot said:
What is the terminal velocity of a phantom and how many feet does it take to reach it ??

Take your phantom to 200 feet, do a CSC to cut the engines and then start a stopwatch. When you hear a thump stop the stopwatch.

Get a bin bag and clear up the debris

Then work out the average speed from the height and time.

The terminal velocity will be higher than that number.

Enjoy :roll:

You can also this:

1. go to the roof of a high building
2. Hold your phantom inverted ( upside down, heading to street)
3. Turn it on
4. Full throttle!
5. Measure «flight» time with chronometer

Later, perform a control test:

1. Buy a second phantom
2. Go to the same building
3. Repeat the test, with motors off

Important: Ensure to ducument everithing, and please, please, PLEASE: publish the video.here.

[emoji5]

Dont waste the opportunity, try to gather as much data as possible.

For example,

"when a phantom crashes at terminal velocity how many pieces will it break into" ?

Keep us posted.

A bird falling from 1000' will be just as useless as one falling from 200'.

As it begins to fall it will gain speed providing there are no updrafts. The speed wil stabilize once it splats into the ground. I have seen this many times.

Once used Phantoms on eBay get down to around $150 I might buy one just to see if I can take it up to around 3,000 ft. and perform a CSC and let it freefall for 5 or 6 seconds --- then see if I can recover by restarting the motors and descending at a safe speed --- wish me luck, boys! :lol:

turbodronepilot I sure hope you weren't serious, but if you were please consider this.

Posted by Hugie:
"Take your phantom to 200 feet, do a CSC to cut the engines and then start a stopwatch. When you hear a thump stop the stopwatch."

That won't give you proper data. You will have to run as close to the crash site as possible if you're going to listen for the "thump". Sound travels relatively slow. :D

V(t) = 67.435 fps, x(s) = 37.519 ft but it varies slightly depending on elevation, humidity, temperature, and discharge state of battery.

Silverminer said:
V(t) = 67.435 fps, x(s) = 37.519 ft but it varies slightly depending on elevation, humidity, temperature, and discharge state of battery.

That's blown it.
Now we know the answer, we wont get any pictures or on board footage :lol:

Hughie said:
Silverminer said:

That's blown it.
Now we know the answer, we wont get any pictures or on board footage :lol:

My calculations might be off. I think someone should verify them in the field.

After about 8-10 seconds, it will reach a terminal velocity of 125 mph. This means it won't go faster no matter the height. This is assuming thare are no rotors under power. Another factor is if it falls flat, upright or on its side. Falling flat, the rotors might slow it down a bit. Sorta like auto-rotation, but I doubt even then, it would slow down enough to make any difference. Perhaps, only 120 mph!

As proved centuries ago, two objects of different weights will hit the ground at the same time. Having sky dived, it is easy to tell when you reach terminal velocity. The speed really hits home if you have another sky diver face to face with you. The effect of the 'wind' on the skin of their face is unforgettable!

OT, but I treasure a jump done with my late father. We jumped out at 12,000 feet and our free fall lasted 60 seconds. It could have lasted even longer, but we chose to pull our rip cords! Look at your watch and imagine going 125 mph for that length of time!

The new trend towards wind suits give about three or four feet forward for each foot fallen vertically. ( If I recall correctly. ) So, the post about a drone chute makes sense.

It is only the last micro-second that hurts!

Best response I have seen since joining........still LMAO. I have been pissed all day after damaging my second PV2+ camera in the last two weeks. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Doing a demo (Showing off) for the neighbors to boot.

Thanks for the levity!!!

Thanks,
Goose (I lost that lovin feelin)

PhantomFanatic said:
.....We jumped out at 12,000 feet and our free fall lasted 60 seconds. It could have lasted even longer, but we chose to pull our rip cords! Look at your watch and imagine going 125 mph for that length of time!......It is only the last micro-second that hurts!
You jumped out of a perfectly good airplane :shock: The only time you do that is when the pilot says, "Engine dead, plane going to crash." :lol:
125 MPH. No wonder the quad ends up in multi parts after a crash. :eek:

What I want to know is how much energy is being generated by the windmilling props? Extra credit question: How far does a Phantom have to fall before the battery is fully charged?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20