Temporary tablet holder

Reaction score
I've been flying my P3s with my iPhone 5c and it works just fine. A friend gave me her Verizon Droid powered 7.5 inch tablet and it seems to work great but I'm not quite ready to fork over money for a holder just yet. Has anyone made a way to hold their tablet using the stock P3s cell phone holder? If I can get something worked up, I'll give it a week or two then buy the right holder.

Have a look at this video.

I got one of the mounts in the video and it worked ok for using a 7 inch tablet.

I stuck a cell phone size piece of 1/2" foam core to the back of a 7" tablet with some aggressive double sided tape. The existing P3S holder clamped to the foam core, worked well.
The tablet was too slow so I only used it once but I think it would have worked for a couple weeks if not longer.
I got the foam core at work. I doubt you have any lying around but a similar concept using a wood block or something might suffice.

Sent from my SM-J700T using PhantomPilots mobile app

I stuck a cell phone size piece of 1/2" foam core to the back of a 7" tablet with some aggressive double sided tape. The existing P3S holder clamped to the foam core, worked well.
The tablet was too slow so I only used it once but I think it would have worked for a couple weeks if not longer.
I got the foam core at work. I doubt you have any lying around but a similar concept using a wood block or something might suffice.

Sent from my SM-J700T using PhantomPilots mobile app

I happen to have some of that foam in my basement. I will give that a try before I head to Wally World. Thank you!

Interesting video but 6+ minutes to explain and show what could've been shown in 30 seconds? I know you didn't make the video, ikorodu. I just don't understand why people drag out some of their instructional videos with so much fluff and time-wasting.

Interesting video but 6+ minutes to explain and show what could've been shown in 30 seconds? I know you didn't make the video, ikorodu. I just don't understand why people drag out some of their instructional videos with so much fluff and time-wasting.
I agree!!

Some of his videos do go on a bit. Still this was useful if a bit dull.

I bought a tablet holder that uses same system as stock - the clamp arm to the handle. It takes up to 7.9" tabs.

Works great. No drilling / mucking about with strange fittings.

Cost peanuts on eBay ....

At present I am waiting delivery of a standard RC transmitter tray. This I will setup to take my remote as the Argtec and tablet make the remote unbalanced. My idea is to carry that weight and it will keep remote antenna orientated nicely, plus I reckon to mount the tablet to the tray rather than the remote.

Nigel

Last edited:
I bought a tablet holder that uses same system as stock - the clamp arm to the handle. It takes up to 7.9" tabs.

Works great. No drilling / mucking about with strange fittings.

Cost peanuts on eBay ....

At present I am waiting delivery of a standard RC transmitter tray. This I will setup to take my remote as the Argtec and tablet make the remote unbalanced. My idea is to carry that weight and it will keep remote antenna orientated nicely, plus I reckon to mount the tablet to the tray rather than the remote.

Nigel
Nigel, do you have a link? I gotta look up an RC transmitter tray...

Reactions: Summerpaws
I used the cell phone sized foam and it worked fine. However. It was so wobbly that I won't use it. I have ordered a holder similar to what Nigel suggested. It has an aluminum bracket and a spring loaded holder. I'll report when I get it. I have a feeling that I will be getting the mount that goes onto the lanyard mount with a second hole toward the antenna. Meanwhile I use my iPhone and keep adding minutes to my flight log. This thing is a blast!

For my almost tablet-sized phone, I used a leftover bike mount from a GoPro knockoff combined with a phone tripod mount. The phone mount screws into the top of the bike mount. I used double sided tape to stick the whole assembly to the remote control and I ran a zip tie through the lanyard ring, just in case the tape gave way.

It's much more solid than the stock wobbly plastic mount. The low position of the phone/tablet also makes it easier to hold the remote control.

Attachments

• tmp_6000-IMG_20170305_181118~01422943892.jpg
    tmp_6000-IMG_20170305_181118~01422943892.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 316
I have thought about mounting my mini ipad to a camera tri pod and having my tx completely separate. No extra weight to hold and the ipad is not moving around and could be set to a comfortable viewing height.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav