Television Type Interference in Video

Reaction score
Hi

I was flying my Phantom 3 Standard today over a lake. I took some video in auto mode, and the camera was facing towards the sun. It wasn't particularly bright - a cloudy day.

Anyway, when I got home I noticed what looked like a 'television interference' style effect in the video (banding.)

Anyone seen that before, and what is the cause? I took other videos nearby, with no 'banding.'

Thanks.

I tried to directly upload an MP4 file here, but it won't accept it. I'm afraid a screenshot won't do it justice either.

All I can do is describe it. It looks like radio interference that you would get on a TV, 20 years ago from a CB radio. A sort of flickering banding effect.

Does your footage look like this?

If so, it's what is commonly known as "prop shadows". You can eliminate the problem by not shooting video directly into the sun or by using ND filters. If you need to pick up some ND filters, you can find a list of commonly used P3S filters here.

Reactions: dronezone1010
Yes, is must be hard to work out what is going on without seeing it. Pity I can't upload vid clip here.

I have to say though, would prop shadows project themselves onto a landscape over 1/2 a mile away?

After watching that vid. I reckon it probably was the propellers. I will look out for that next time. In mine it wasn't so obvious it was the props. Thanks!

In the video above, you can see both prop shadows and the actual props showing in the video in the corners.

Reactions: dronezone1010

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20