Telemetry?

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to drones. However I come from a background of falconry, which is flying trained birds of prey. To ensure we can try to find our birds again in the event of a fly off, we affix telemetry. These devises emit a "beep" which can be tracked with a receiver. Has anybody tried this on drones? Would the RF put out by the telemetry interfere with the drone? Thanks All!

My transmitters cost about 95 dollars. The receiver is a bit more expensive. That runs around 500. But battery life on a transmitter is 10-14 days, depending on wx.

Typically transmitters operate in the VHF spectrum. Normally 146.xx, 147.xx, ect. And you can really track them to the location IF you are competent in telemetry. Even if not, you can get the direction. The "beeps" are louder in the direction of the transmitter.

A GPS tracker would probably be a better option. Trackimo is aweome. They run $139 but I found one on ebay for $95. It uses GPS and cellular for tracking and uses google maps to direct you right to it. I found a holder for it on ebay that screws into the landing gear. No transmitter needed and when I'm not using it I can use it to track other things like my kids when they are driving. After one year there is a subscription of $5 for cellular connection. Well worth the cost. The picture is of the Trackimo in the holder before I attach it to the drone.
1489931449061-119182369.jpg

@bigdeepsessions
This beep, is it actually sound? or does the receiver make the sound?
If the Transmitter is sending out an RF signal or the beep, what is the max distance it would work?

Either way, you should look into the Marco Polo tracker.

Rod

Reactions: Ronald Reedy
@bigdeepsessions
This beep, is it actually sound? or does the receiver make the sound?
If the Transmitter is sending out an RF signal or the beep, what is the max distance it would work?

Either way, you should look into the Marco Polo tracker.

Rod
Okay so it uses GPS so it works anywhere in the world. All I do is pull it up on my cell phone and then have it navigate me through Google maps. When I'm close to the unit, it beeps through bluetooth. I think 100 feet.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20