telemetry overlay in recorded video

Reaction score
is there any way to get the telemetry to show up in the recorded videos from the pv? i would like to see speed distance and elevation, or basically the same overlay you get from the dji app.... that would be neat!

Same here. I'm constantly guessing at altitudes on pics I've taken earlier...

-slinger

Migmon said:
is there any way to get the telemetry to show up in the recorded videos from the pv? i would like to see speed distance and elevation, or basically the same overlay you get from the dji app.... that would be neat!

I second that motion! My first quad is a Parrot AR Drone 2.0 and that can show all the flight data when the video is played within their app. I was also thinking that would be a nice feature to bring to the Phantom at some point.

I suppose you could record the HDMI output from your iPhone - if you have the right phone adapter, and an HDMI recording device, like a Blackmagic card or something.

There are also PC/Mac apps which allow you to mirror the iPhone's screen using AirPlay, and also record it (http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector). Unfortunately as soon as you connect to the Phantom Wi-Fi, you'll drop the AirPlay connection to your PC.

Pull_Up said:
At the moment there's no way to do that using the stock Vision. As far as I'm aware the only way is to install a 3rd party data logger called a Flytrex core (easy to do, see http://www.flytrex.com - I've recently done the first Vision install: http://flytrex.com/simon.newton.5201/ ) then you can use software called Dashware to overlay the Flytrex data onto your video. Here's a nice example : http://youtu.be/M5YgSMaZJE8

Nice I may consider trying this out at some point. How did you reach 49 mph were you using naza mode atti or was that stock phantom 2 GPS? So far I've only done 30mph

Has anyone tried using an apple video out cable an feeding that in to a DVR of some type?

BenDronePilot said:
Nice I may consider trying this out at some point. How did you reach 49 mph were you using naza mode atti or was that stock phantom 2 GPS? So far I've only done 30mph

NAZA mode in GPS, full throttle, long, straight run downwind with fairly strong winds at that height - it was definitely wind assisted!

If your smartphone supports "Miracast," you may be able to record the display by "casting" it to something like a NetGear Push2TV adapter hooked to a digital PVR like the Hauppauge 1512.

I have an Android phone that does Miracast and I've ordered a Push2TV adapter. When it arrives, I'll see if the Miracast function will work while the phone is connected to PV.

-- Roger

I suspect they are using an app emulator and recording the output on the laptop you can see the crew has behind the camera. You could even output your phone's display via HDMI and do it that way for a wired solution

However I thought what people were after was being able to add telemetry data to their recorded videos, rather than use a screen grab of the phone (which is only ever going to be in 640/30 at the best setting...

jadebox said:
If your smartphone supports "Miracast," you may be able to record the display by "casting" it to something like a NetGear Push2TV adapter hooked to a digital PVR like the Hauppauge 1512.

I have an Android phone that does Miracast and I've ordered a Push2TV adapter. When it arrives, I'll see if the Miracast function will work while the phone is connected to PV.

-- Roger
Not if it works via Wi-Fi. Once you connect to the Phantom Wi-Fi, this would be disconnected. Unless your phone can connect to two different Wi-Fi networks at once.

Driffill said:
Has anyone tried using an apple video out cable an feeding that in to a DVR of some type?

Quite a few folk have used that to drive video goggles - so feeding that to a dvr should work fine. You might need a cheap hdmi to composite adapter too -- but it'll work!

jimre said:
jadebox said:

Not if it works via Wi-Fi. Once you connect to the Phantom Wi-Fi, this would be disconnected. Unless your phone can connect to two different Wi-Fi networks at once.

Newer Android phones support "Wi-Fi Direct" which supports multiple Wi-Fi connections.

-- Roger

Pull_Up said:
gpauk said:
gunslinger said:
Same here. I'm constantly guessing at altitudes on pics I've taken earlier...

-slinger

The GPS data is logged with the picture, check the picture metadata in the viewer of your choice....

I can see GPS co-ords in the metadata, but no altitude data...?

Ah -- boring. I'd assumed it logged the full 3d gps.... Sorry!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik