Telemetry OK but video dies after 300 meters...

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My quad is acting up... Although I never lose telemetry while flying, the video grays out and freezes at about 300 meters. I get the video pinwheel of death. I have FPVLR stage 3 antennas in the control and in the quad. I have rechecked everything and it's all connected correctly. I went to the extend of re heat sinking the WiFi module inside the quad with Artic Silver Ceramique2.

The question I have for you is simple... Do you think this behavior is due to:

1. A faulty WiFi module.
2. A faulty WiFi repeater

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Cheers,

Charlie

what resolution is your fpv??

I have tried every resolution possible at every available frame rate 30fps, 15fps. Similar results...

check that both antennas on the wifi module clicked in and firm.
Do you run any boosters apps?

I had a similar prob when I first did the upgrade. Seems I had accidentally connected a couple of female connectors together when I did the install...just an fyi....

mede8er said:
I had a similar prob when I first did the upgrade. Seems I had accidentally connected a couple of female connectors together when I did the install...just an fyi....

Hi medeBer

Could you tell which connectors? At this stage, I will look into anything that may solve the current issue... Thanks!

Cheers,

Charlie

I don't mind to hikack your thread but we seem to have similar issues, though I don't have FPVLR antennas yet, I just upgraded one of the wife repeater antennas with a 9dbi ommi directional antenna. I had been getting great signal in a 400ft radius, never tried to go further yet. This weekend though, the video kept dropping at 20 ft, and it wouldn't come back until I would land or get extremely close. Before that flight I did upgrade to the new controller with gimbal control and I also updated the firmware although I don't see how that could have done anything to the signal dropping. The other thing that happened was that accidently turned on the wifi repeater for about 30 seconds without the upgraded antenna screwed on, only the internal antenna was plugged in. Would this cause damage to the wifi repeater?
Thanks in advance for any replies, I hope we are trying to figure out similar issues, if not I can delete this and open a new thread.

mede8er said:
Charlie,

I'm speaking of the cables that connect your radio and wifi repeaters to your FPVLR antennas....

Hi medeBer,

Thanks for your suggestion, but this is not my case. All the cables terminals are male while the antennas are female.

Cheers,

Charlie

luisrsg said:
I don't mind to hikack your thread but we seem to have similar issues, though I don't have FPVLR antennas yet, I just upgraded one of the wife repeater antennas with a 9dbi ommi directional antenna. I had been getting great signal in a 400ft radius, never tried to go further yet. This weekend though, the video kept dropping at 20 ft, and it wouldn't come back until I would land or get extremely close. Before that flight I did upgrade to the new controller with gimbal control and I also updated the firmware although I don't see how that could have done anything to the signal dropping. The other thing that happened was that accidently turned on the wifi repeater for about 30 seconds without the upgraded antenna screwed on, only the internal antenna was plugged in. Would this cause damage to the wifi repeater?
Thanks in advance for any replies, I hope we are trying to figure out similar issues, if not I can delete this and open a new thread.

Hi Luisrsg,

When you turn on a transmitter, without an antenna connected to it, you burn it up.

Cheers,

Charlie

Right. That was ny understanding as well. That's why I quickly turned it off. Only one antenna was plugged in. Would this still burn up the unit and if the unit was "burned" could it still turn on and give me some signal. Just not as good as before?

Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4