Technique for quickest descent?

Reaction score
Has anyone perfected a technique for quickly descending from higher altitudes? Is GPS or ATTI mode best? Straight down or circles? Using current firmware.

Thanks

If your using 3.06 firmware your descent is limited to 2m/s regardless of ATTI, GPS, circles, back, forward sideways....all max at 2 m/s.

The only way to descend any faster is mid air CSC (NOT RECOMMENDED) or switch software to NAZA mode and program S1 to "manual" (Not Recommended unless you have practiced in this mode a lot)

ftimster said:
Firmware 1.08!!!! :)
I'll second that. Just watch out for VRS. :D

Jayson Hanes said:
I flip it to manual mode and then back when I'm about 150-200 feet AGL (without adjusting throttle)... has worked well every time.

so, before i reset S1 for a manual mode, how much of an improvement does this provide (in descent speed)?

Lowepg said:
Jayson Hanes said:
I flip it to manual mode and then back when I'm about 150-200 feet AGL (without adjusting throttle)... has worked well every time.

so, before i reset S1 for a manual mode, how much of an improvement does this provide (in descent speed)?

I'm going to try Manual mode and switch back to GPS mode at 200'. How quickly will it descend in your experience?

max out at 175' per second it would fall just like a rock. personally i would have a hard time doing that with any kind of camera, other then the fc40 camera, tough light and only $80.00 which could bemounted to any phantom.

Anyone who would risk $1300 just to shave off 30 seconds or so of descending time must have a lot more money than I do. ;)

MapMaker53 said:
Anyone who would risk $1300 just to shave off 30 seconds or so of descending time must have a lot more money than I do. ;)

Well, the guy I was referring to in the video ran his bird up to 6000 feet and the battery was about to die before he had descended below 5000.... so he killed the engine and restarted it at the ground.... still died and crashed.

He has more money than brains, to be sure. I looked at his other video and he is showing off his collection of about 8 quad and octocopters.... and was bragging that hed crashed a half dozen times (several due to running out of power (over residential areas!).

I question the wisdom of flying to that elevation in a city. I question the wisdom of flying to that elevation in the country. I question the wisdom of flying anywhere that people might be. But then a lot of great videos would not be there. I have been yelled at for asking questions of folks who fly in what I might think is a dangerous manner. What I think is dangerous is to fly somewhere that if an accident or loss of control or other unexpected event might happen and then people could be hit is not a good idea. I have flown a couple times that I propably should not have, all part of training and becoming a good pilot

When it is all done the govt. will have our sky's full of spy drones in the usa and we will be grounded, vote carefully my friends

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4