Technician class amateur radio license

Buk

Reaction score
Is this required due to the transmitters, Phantom or Fat Shark, that are common with our flying hobby?

Thanks,

Buk, it's not quite that simple with amateur radio and licensing. The technician license is a starting point. There is quite a bit of variables involved with operation. Such as, frequency, what band type of emission, and mode of operation. All band have restrictions on mode of operation, frequency, power, and even license type. All bands are segmented for type of use and who may use them. If you or someone would provide specific info on this devise, I could possibly help answer this question. I have no knowledge regarding this device...

k8xd said:
If you or someone would provide specific info on this devise, I could possibly help answer this question. I have no knowledge regarding this device...

I may be speaking out of school here, since I'm an RC newbie, but it seems the Phantom's transmitter operates on the 2.400-2.4250 Ghz ISM band. No idea about the power output spec, but I'm sure it's low.

I spent some time searching for FCC rules for that band and gave up - couldn't find anything without going to the FCC website, and didn't have the stomach for that. But I seriously doubt anybody cares much about RC transmitters in this band.

The ham license would not be required for the Phantom, but for signal transmission from an a/v transmitter that you would put on board the phantom.

I just bought a 5.8 GHz a/v transmitter and the licensing requirement was stated clearly.

Someone else that knows more might be able to provide more info, but I believe any time you want to operate a transmitter that is not part of an approved consumer product, then there is a licensing requirement.

Ots said:
The ham license would not be required for the Phantom, but for signal transmission from an a/v transmitter that you would put on board the phantom. I just bought a 5.8 GHz a/v transmitter and the licensing requirement was stated clearly.

Someone else that knows more might be able to provide more info, but I believe any time you want to operate a transmitter that is not part of an approved consumer product, then there is a licensing requirement.

Don't believe that's true in the US.

For an A/V transmitter operating in the 5.8 Ghz (5.725-5.875 Ghz) ISM band with an output power to the antenna of 1 watt or less, unlicensed operation has been authorized by the FCC since the early 1990s. In addition to the allowable 1 watt input the the antenna, +23 dBi EIRP is allowable for antenna gain. Most FPV stuff in this frequency range being sold now operates at less than 1 watt output, most, much less. The FatShark Attitude SD system I just purchased operates within these allowable frequencies.

Ref: http://www.afar.net/tutorials/fcc-rules

That makes sense that there's an wattage limit, below which licensing's not required. Thanks for offering some clarification

Thanks for the replies. Oh the headache I got from reading some of the subjects in the licensure test...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic