Technical expert requ'd re DroneExpert RX100 mount + iOSD

Reaction score
Today I'm sending back to my French dealer my Phantom 2 Vision due to poor image quality (I'm sure I received a very bad example of the product but I'm not confident that I'd get a good example as a replacement).

In its place I'm requesting a Phantom 2 with a Sony RX100 FPV mounting kit -
http://dronexpert.nl/product/dji-ph...e-shutter-integrated-hdmi-to-video-converter/

I'd like to have telemetry and battery info on the screen and when I asked DronExpert if that was possible, I got this reply:

"Peter,
Thank you for your mail.
If you add IOSD to the Phantom you can combine this information on the RX100. Best way then is to do the FPV transmitter inside the phantom and combine this with the IOSD. This way you have the needed details on your screen.
Feel free to ask if you have further questions,
Best regards,
Rob Tiebie
http://www.dronexpert.nl"

The problem is that he's Dutch and I know next to nothing about r/c quadcopters, so we have a bit of a communication problem! Also, my poor technical vocabulary in French makes it difficult to ask questions of my dealer (who aren't super co-operative anyway).

So my question to any kind and obliging technical expert on this forum is;

Is this the item I need ?
http://studiosport.fr/module-iosd-mini-pour-naza-wookong-p-2683.html

And if "yes" how could that connect into the Phantom 2 + DronExpert RX100 FPV setup? You can see how the DroneExpert kit connects to the camera and to the Phantom in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSwxQrkDITU

Thanks in advance

Pete

PS
Yes, I KNOW it's expensive but it's the only option on the market for the Phantom 2 and an FPV/control system this camera.

Re: Technical expert requ'd re DroneExpert RX100 mount + iOS

Have you considered buying the whole thing from Dronexperts, ready to fly? Do they offer turnkey solutions?

AnselA said:
Have you considered buying the whole thing from Dronexperts, ready to fly? Do they offer turnkey solutions?

I don't have that option as my French dealer won't give me a refund, only an exchange.

Hi Peter

Whilst I am no technical expert its only a matter of connecting 2 wires if I am not mistaken. How can I explain. You have wires coming from the camera which will be transmitted to your FPV system. This just allows you to see what your camera sees. Twist the extra 2 wires from the iosd to those wires and it then combines the signals. You can watch this guy doing it as he builds a version but using the Gopro. The soldering required is even within my level of experience although I am paying for it to be done professionally. You could ring quadcopters.co.uk for advice.

Watch this video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8pqtEDuos[/youtube]

Hope the video helps.

I looked at the Sony RX100 kit. It appears to be a full set up with camera, gimbal, VTX, monitor. And I am guessing you want to add iOSD to that. First, you should make sure the kit works with the P2.

Second, it looks like the VTX is integrated into the mount for the camera so the wiring here will not be standard Phantom install of the OSD. It will connect to the CAN bus as per usual but you'll need to find two wires that go between the camera and the VTX: video out and video ground. You cut the two wires and splice the OSD in between. You will need to ask your Dutch dealer friend if the video out and video ground are accessible to splice in the OSD.

ianwood said:
I looked at the Sony RX100 kit. It appears to be a full set up with camera, gimbal, VTX, monitor. And I am guessing you want to add iOSD to that. First, you should make sure the kit works with the P2.

Second, it looks like the VTX is integrated into the mount for the camera so the wiring here will not be standard Phantom install of the OSD. It will connect to the CAN bus as per usual but you'll need to find two wires that go between the camera and the VTX: video out and video ground. You cut the two wires and splice the OSD in between. You will need to ask your Dutch dealer friend if the video out and video ground are accessible to splice in the OSD.

Thanks, Ian.

OK, yes it is a full set-up (except that the camera is not included). And, yes, it does work with the P2 and, yes again, I do want to add iOSD to that.

You've confirmed my suspicions that the wires I would need to get at are in that ribbon cable that goes from the RX100's HDMI output to the electronics in the mount. I'll email Rob at Dronexpert and ask him the specific question you posed. Hey, maybe he could send me a ribbon cable with the modification!

So that 'DJI iOSd mini' would be OK, would it? (assuming the connection problem can be solved)

Peter Evans said:
So that 'DJI iOSd mini' would be OK, would it? (assuming the connection problem can be solved)

Assuming the composite video signal coming from the camera and going into the VTX are just a standard NTSC or PAL composite signal, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The complicated part of the OSD is done via the CAN bus interface which, in your case, is no different than the way it is normally done. So as long as you know which two wires to tap, it should work.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl