TC registration

Reaction score
Hi fellow Canucks.

I realize this may not be the page however wanted to talk to some Canadians. I see and understand according to the FAA the use for registration but has anyone or do we need to register with transport Canada. When reading it claims more along the the kinetic your using your bird for commercial uses. Let me know your thoughts.

Location - 1 hr north of Toronto (Orangeville)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I see and understand according to the FAA the use for registration but has anyone or do we need to register with transport Canada

(location: 45 minutes west of "Hog Town" here - on a good day)

Mininiska - there is nothing YET as to everyone registering or requiring permission to fly (recreationally) up to 25kg. Having said that, and as you mentioned, if you are using a UAV/UAS for any form of work or research you are legally required to apply for and obtain an SFOC (safe flying operations certificate). There is presently an "exemption" up to 25kg weight of the UAV (for working with) that we can apply for and you must supply them with your usual personal info along with the s/n of your UAV, a description of what type of operation you will be using it for and the geographical boundaries you will be flying in (basically registering them at that point).

As is right now the following applies (soon to change however).................​

From everything I have read I believe that is all about to change sometime this year to include registration for all UAV's...........

In 2016, Transport Canada intends to introduce regulatory requirements for UAVs 25kgs or less that are operated within visual line-of-sight. The proposed regulatory amendments are intended to ensure the safe and reliable operation of UAVs in Canadian airspace and will:

- establish classifications including a proposal for the possibility of having a very small (lower threshold) category of aircraft;
- clarify terminology;
- establish aircraft marking & registration requirements;
- address personnel licensing & training;
- create flight rules

The SFOC will remain as far as I understand and to obtain that you must have completed an accredited and recognized flight/ground school in safe operation & maintenance of the UAV, airspace classification and structure, meteorological and NOTAM reporting services, interpretation of aeronautical charts and the Canada Flight Supplement applicable content of the Canadian Aviation Regulations. You must also have a limited use license for RC and understanding of radio frequencies. You must pass an exam given at the course and even then it is dependent on the type of work you are using the UAV for (risk) whether they will issue you an SFOC.

I have completed one course with another to follow since I plan (hope) on adding to my business the Inspire 1 Pro or a Mattrice 100 combo with the new DJI Zenmuse XT Flir IR camera (whenever it comes out). With the info I have been getting however I don't know for certain just how much "red tape" will be involved as to the ever changing regulations and restrictions that are on the way. Adding this service to my existing commercial liability insurance coverage is quite another story - not to mention what WSIB may add as to cost --- more fingers in the pie lol.

​

Last edited:
Reactions: jack1144
Eagle, great info! Thanks for taking the time to provide me with this!! Appreciate it

The SFOC (Special Flight Operation Certificate) is not easy to get especially for a start-up business, believe me I tried.
And you have to send one in for every job you do, it's ridiculous.
They need to do like the FAA and have registration and an exam to get a license.
Right now it's better to use the exemption for under 25kg, take the ground school course and get insurance.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The SFOC (Special Flight Operation Certificate) is not easy to get especially for a start-up business, believe me I tried.
They need to do like the FAA and have registration and an exam to get a license.
Right now it's better to use the exemption for under 25kg, take the ground school course and get insurance.

After you are issued three successful SFOC permits you can be eligible to apply for a blanket SFOC which I think is valid for three years

I don't think I'd have any issues with the idea of needing to be licenced. On my first flight about a month ago, I took the responsible route and didn't fly above roughly 75 feet and just spent it flying around a large park area out in the country. That said, I'm in my 40s and my days of turning something on and going straight to the envelope are behind me now. Give the P4 to a 17 year old and I can see them quickly disabling the height limits and going above the clouds without thought for sanity, safety, or even simply the cost of the "toy".

Now that I have a few more flights under my belt and have a range extender, I have taken it on further flights at the ceiling, but am still very cautious if I see a bird follow and immediately bring it in.

What I don't want to see is spotchecks of flight records, or some sort of mandatory upload of flight data. Transport Canada rules are already very strict and many locations have made drone use illegal (Parks Canada for one). I sense that if licencing or registration became a requirement, this nanny country would make these uploads mandatory as well.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
(location: 45 minutes west of "Hog Town" here - on a good day)

Mininiska - there is nothing YET as to everyone registering or requiring permission to fly (recreationally) up to 25kg. Having said that, and as you mentioned, if you are using a UAV/UAS for any form of work or research you are legally required to apply for and obtain an SFOC (safe flying operations certificate). There is presently an "exemption" up to 25kg weight of the UAV (for working with) that we can apply for and you must supply them with your usual personal info along with the s/n of your UAV, a description of what type of operation you will be using it for and the geographical boundaries you will be flying in (basically registering them at that point).

As is right now the following applies (soon to change however).................​

From everything I have read I believe that is all about to change sometime this year to include registration for all UAV's...........

In 2016, Transport Canada intends to introduce regulatory requirements for UAVs 25kgs or less that are operated within visual line-of-sight. The proposed regulatory amendments are intended to ensure the safe and reliable operation of UAVs in Canadian airspace and will:

- establish classifications including a proposal for the possibility of having a very small (lower threshold) category of aircraft;
- clarify terminology;
- establish aircraft marking & registration requirements;
- address personnel licensing & training;
- create flight rules

The SFOC will remain as far as I understand and to obtain that you must have completed an accredited and recognized flight/ground school in safe operation & maintenance of the UAV, airspace classification and structure, meteorological and NOTAM reporting services, interpretation of aeronautical charts and the Canada Flight Supplement applicable content of the Canadian Aviation Regulations. You must also have a limited use license for RC and understanding of radio frequencies. You must pass an exam given at the course and even then it is dependent on the type of work you are using the UAV for (risk) whether they will issue you an SFOC.

I have completed one course with another to follow since I plan (hope) on adding to my business the Inspire 1 Pro or a Mattrice 100 combo with the new DJI Zenmuse XT Flir IR camera (whenever it comes out). With the info I have been getting however I don't know for certain just how much "red tape" will be involved as to the ever changing regulations and restrictions that are on the way. Adding this service to my existing commercial liability insurance coverage is quite another story - not to mention what WSIB may add as to cost --- more fingers in the pie lol.

​
A simple

Hi fellow Canucks.

I realize this may not be the page however wanted to talk to some Canadians. I see and understand according to the FAA the use for registration but has anyone or do we need to register with transport Canada. When reading it claims more along the the kinetic your using your bird for commercial uses. Let me know your thoughts.

Location - 1 hr north of Toronto (Orangeville)

I recently looked into getting my SFOC for my phantom 4 in B.C. This SFOC business confused me a bit. I contacted a friend I thought might know and it turns out he just started a business, www.easysfoc.com. He advised me on how the SFOC process worked in B.C and provided me with an application to review, support forms, and an operations manual for me to make my own. Please feel free to ask me questions about how they can help you get an SFOC, or email [email protected]. Thanks and good luck.

After you are issued three successful SFOC permits you can be eligible to apply for a blanket SFOC which I think is valid for three years
Hi Dave , a "Standing SFOC" (use to be called blanket) is valid for a maximum of 1 year at a time.
The number of flights under individual SFOC's can vary based on the Inspector. Used to be 10 now generally 5 but 3 might be possible.
I have a Standing SFOC which took 5 individual SFOC applications then apply for a Standing .
It is understandably tough.They want maximum safety to other aircraft and persons and property on the ground.
As eaglegoaltender stated TC had intended to releasenew rules late this year based on cooperations with the ICAO, FAA and results from the 2015 request for opinions.

That makes good sense.
I discussed this with a TC Agent who was processing my first SFOC and this was never mentioned. Getting straight answers from these people is crazy, they are not very helpful.

Quadcopterpilot, you have had lots of training which is great.
Once you have a Standing SFOC flights can occur fairly quickly as well.
Same as your aircraft. Notam,weather, route ,logs,maintenance,etc, some additional checklists and site inspections.
All the required info is in the CARs regs.
Considering TC doesn't have UAV Inspectors (yet), these same people as doing the entire aviation industry,
I found them pretty good to work with.
If I can help let me know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4