Tarot T-2D Gimbal on Phantom 1.1.1 Installation Help

Reaction score
Alright, I'm raising the white flag on this gimbal.

I literally spent the past three days trying to install and configure this thing, and the support (aka google searches) is horrible.

Initially, the gimbal worked perfectly by just slapping the gimbal power to aux power.. but I wanted gimbal control.

So here's the problem(s).

1. Firmware updating doesn't make sense.

After I've connected and "updated" the firmware.. the gimbal seems to go into a "berserk" mode flipping everywhere it can (with and without the GoPro mounted). I've tried exorcism but it didn't work. I've actually seen a YouTube video where you open the software, plug the USB cable, open the com port, select the firmware, then connect + power the gimbal to update.. I'll try that later today, but I've since then "ripped" out the gimbal and attached the stock GoPro mount instead out of frustration last night.

2. The cords it came with is too short!

Well, I suppose it's a universal mount. But I followed all the photos the best I can, but I was still getting problems., like really weird ones.. the green light on the Phantom goes dim-green which I know isn't normal because I usually get blinded by its LED.I might need a new set of plugs (I guess spliced cords doesn't work because I combined the two plugs that it came with and it barely fits). Can someone help me find a USA shipping eBay listing (or not eBay) that sells the plugs I need? Plus I still don't get where to put it.. LOL. It looks pretty simple, but this is really making me frustrated! I really don't know what I need.

I'm so frustrated with the gimbal.. that I might just sell this and go for a slightly :cry: more expensive gimbal, but it's not a Zenmuse because I'm too broke for it.

3. Well, I had more questions on my previous topic.

I am mainly asking if someone could find me a USA shipping eBay listing (or not eBay) for propeller balancing with the self tightening propellers? I'm curious what everyone is using.

Thanks for the help!

UrAwFuL said:
I am mainly asking if someone could find me a USA shipping eBay listing (or not eBay) for propeller balancing with the self tightening propellers? I'm curious what everyone is using.

Thanks for the help!

I use this (actually "these", it comes as two rods), with a dubro balancer: http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/vi ... category=0

As for the gimbal, once you have the power figured out, it should just be a matter of connecting the pitch control pins to the F2 port on the NAZA with a standard servo (3-pin) cable. Can you describe exactly how you tried to connect it, or take a pic?

O man I know your pain. I tried upgrading the firmware on my GadgetSalon gimbal to fix the X1 tilting issues I was having. Then it went berserk like a seizure. I cannot seem to restore it. If I click "Restore Defaults" it stops going crazy but doesn't respond at all. It went so crazy that it unscrewed a screw!

Good luck and please post how you fix things (if you do). I will do the same.

I decided to sell my Tarot gimbal this week.

Apparently the gimbal fried my AUX cable and my Phantom went up in smoke when I plugged my battery in. Luckily she still flies though, but I've cut the AUX cable completely off. I literally almost cried.. I thought it became a $400 paperweight without a maiden flight.

This YouTube video is somewhat similar to this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lwVy9-OhIc

I'm pretty sure the gimbal works still though, but it still behaves erratically. I'll be using the stock mount until I've saved up enough for another but expensive gimbal.

IMO, if anyone is gonna use a gimbal.. use a separate battery for it. At least if it fries up like mine, it probably won't affect the Phantom.

UrAwFuL said:
IMO, if anyone is gonna use a gimbal.. use a separate battery for it. At least if it fries up like mine, it probably won't affect the Phantom.

I'd recommend against that, just for the weight it adds. The Tarot gimbal has been used on many Phantom's without power wiring issues, it sounds like yours might have had a connector or wire reversed.

Wow - I had the same experience. I leveraged the aux power lines on the Phantom and poof:)! I have used a 2 axis and 3 axis gimbal. I was able to power the 2 axis from an external battery without any issues, but the 3 axis was a different story. Since it required a 3s battery and since I did not have a small one readily available, I decided to use the aux power. Initially everything was great - no problems and then it happened:). After some quick research, I thought the wire gauge was too small to handle the load and then I carefully retraced my steps ... after additional consideration, I am most certain it was my fault. The power connector is only meant to go in one-way but not in my case. I did not look down to ensure red-red and black-black. Instead, I pushed the connectors together and thought if they fit, it must be right ... poof:)! Nonetheless, I cut-back the wires and all is well ... no harm done. I am not flying with a dedicated 610 mah battery Velcro'd to the back which works great.

just an FYI...when you UPDATE the firmware on your gimbal, you ALSO need to update the motors with matching motor firmware as well...othewise, they WILL go berzerk.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4