Tarot 2-D gimbal tilt control

Reaction score
Phantom FC40.
Tarot 2-D gimbal.
Tilt control.

I would be grateful if anyone can tell me if I am missing anything out.

Gimbal works fine. Power leads to the battery terminals on the main board.

The blue Led stays on when connected and stabilization is good.

I connect the T terminal to the Naza receiver F2 lower terminal and enable tilt control in the Naza assistant.

Now the blue Led on the gimbal circuit board flashes and the tilt control does not operate. I opened the transmitter and operated the pot with a screwdriver. Still no tilt control and the stabilization is still good.

There has to be a genius out there somewhere to advise me how to fix it,

Thanks

Re: Tarot 2-D gimbal

Two steps to try first (in this order):

1. Calibrate the controller itself using the RC Assistant software, making sure you move the tilt lever on the back while you do it.

2. Calibrate the X1 channel in the NAZA Assistant software (also while moving the lever)

If doing those in order doesn't make it start responding properly in the X1 channel display, you might have a bad or bent pot in the controller (which is not uncommon).

Re: Tarot 2-D gimbal

Thanks OI.

When I calibrate the transmitter and I adjust the pot., I can see changes.

On the Naza assistant in VIEW it is confirmed I have the gimbal switch on – the stick adjustments show movement but the U, X1 and X2 show no movement when adjusting the pot.

Likewise ADVANCED – GIMBAL there is no movement.

Its as though that particular channel is inoperative totally.

FIXED IT. :D

This is on my FC40.

The wiring is as follows :-

Naza F2 negative to Tarot board bottom right negative (P -)
Naza F2 bottom terminal (Signal wire) to Tarot board terminal T.

Then in Naza assistant BASIC - RC calibrate X1 by turning the pot on the transmitter from extreme to extreme four or five times.

I had to mark the centre position on the screen with a bit of sticky paper from a postit note. Yeah well, it worked for me.

I also had to reverse the Pitch

The above is going to help someone - and this :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f33X7N7MiE

AND this :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLMd6OmRdtM#t=521

Tarot - get your act together and print some decent instructions.u] IDIOTS. Why spoil a good product for the lack of a piece of paper. :oops: :x

Someone is two props short of a Quad here.

Thanks for your help OI,

Pete

deltamike said:
Naza F2 negative to Tarot board bottom right negative (P -)
Naza F2 bottom terminal (Signal wire) to Tarot board terminal T.

Ahhh yes that makes sense. I apologize, I misunderstood at first and thought you already had the gimbal connected to the F2 port that way.

Glad it's working now, and thanks for posting the fix for others to see :)

Hello OI,

I must advise you something else about my Tarot 2 D gimbal.

I have been working on it all day and I have discovered something else.

Presuming I have wired it okay, the tilt from maximum elevation to minimum depression is excessive to say the least.

In the Naza assistant ADVANCED – GIMBAL I have found that the PITCH max and MIN have to be set on 105 to stop the gimbal from going up and down too far. From up full to down full takes five and a half minutes – which is bloody useless to say the least.

So I have had to settle for 500 in both settings and set for the desired angle before take off. If I try to adjust from looking straight down to a 20 degree angle down the control is VERY sensitive and near enough impossible to achieve in flight.

I hope I have explained this okay.

So, if you want to use the tilt control in flight – forget it.

Maybe this is how it is meant to be, and having not had experience with other gimbals, have you or anyone else any other make that you can adjust so you can use it in flight from straight down to a chosen angle while in flight ACCURATELY?

Thanks

Pete

Thinking more about MY Tarot gimbal, shouldn’t a gimbal be restricted to travel from horizontal to vertical only?

My Tarot seems to want to exceed this and in doing so jerks like a demented robot.

Do other makes do this? Your input would be appreciated because I cant live with this gimbal and its going to be replaced with your help.

Thanks

Pete

deltamike said:
Hello OI,

I must advise you something else about my Tarot 2 D gimbal.

I have been working on it all day and I have discovered something else.

Presuming I have wired it okay, the tilt from maximum elevation to minimum depression is excessive to say the least.

In the Naza assistant ADVANCED – GIMBAL I have found that the PITCH max and MIN have to be set on 105 to stop the gimbal from going up and down too far. From up full to down full takes five and a half minutes – which is bloody useless to say the least.

So I have had to settle for 500 in both settings and set for the desired angle before take off. If I try to adjust from looking straight down to a 20 degree angle down the control is VERY sensitive and near enough impossible to achieve in flight.

I hope I have explained this okay.

So, if you want to use the tilt control in flight – forget it.

Maybe this is how it is meant to be, and having not had experience with other gimbals, have you or anyone else any other make that you can adjust so you can use it in flight from straight down to a chosen angle while in flight ACCURATELY?

Thanks

Pete

Pete if you go into Naza..Advanced...Gimbal..

Take a look at what value you have set for Manual Pitch (X1) Control Speed. It is near the bottom of the screen. The lower the value the slower the gimbal responds to the control pot. If you set that to 100 it should significantly speed up your gimbal. Let me know if that helps.

I just got my ebay gimbal installed and all wired up and it is working good with my go pro

To make a l o n g story short, I downloaded V1.5 of the Tarot software which does what the Naza assistant does plus a LOT more, so the two of them in conjunction - after a LOT of fiddling work out well together.

I was just about to have a flight and on the ground checks prior to take off the potentiometer on the tilt gimbal control decided to pack in.

"Soddit", I thought, and I took off anyway. I'm rebellious like that.

So I asked the question about the pot that had gone to pot :-

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26188

Good oh. Amazon came up trumps for the pot., and the knob. Greedy E-Bay sellers wanted something like £8 for one pot and Amazon was £3 for two, so you know when yours goes to pot - so to speak.

Thanks for your reply Rusty. The Naza did not really limit the horizontal and vertical angles I wanted, but the Tarot 1.5 does. I will get there. What gimbal do you own out of curiosity?

I hope that has answered your question OI.

After all this Petal suggested I save up for a Vision2 +. She must think I have 'MUG' written on my forehead. If I had nothing to fix and fiddle with I would have so much spare time, and what would I do - I'll tell you what - she would make me do the obnoxious jobs she has on a list. Ho NO! No, I am not going to save up for a Vision. The jobs can wait till spring at least.

Its a tough business this flying lark.

Pete

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31