Taranis X8R on DJI Phantom 1

Reaction score
I have the original Phantom 1. Is there any tutorial or video around that explains how to change the radio to the FrSky X8R for use with the Taranis controller?

Do you just need to know how install the X8R, or do you need help with the full Taranis setup? And do you happen to know exactly which model of the P1 you have?

Also, did you already buy the X8R? FrSky just released the X4R which is smaller and probably a better solution for use in the Phantom. I just installed one this weekend, will be testing tomorrow.

NqHgsfEl.jpg

Well, of course, the full Taranis setup, thanks! I bought a Taranis several months ago and its been sitting in a box with its receiver, the X8R.

I'm not sure how to tell which version of the P1 I have. The Naza controller says Copyright 2012, so the original one I guess. I've taken it apart, and from this Futaba tutorial ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ8lkBwu_AY ), I've discovered how to remove the radio and cable, which I presume plugs into the SBus port of the X8R. Apart from that, I'm not sure what to do next as all the videos seem to be for the Phantom 2.

I'd love to get the X4R, but it seems to be out of stock, so I'll go with the X8R for now. I also have the LIPO SmartPort sensor on the way.

First order of business is to charge and update the firmware on the Taranis, which I'm doing now.

I would be delighted to receive your advice.

OI Photography said:
Do you just need to know how install the X8R, or do you need help with the full Taranis setup? And do you happen to know exactly which model of the P1 you have?

Also, did you already buy the X8R? FrSky just released the X4R which is smaller and probably a better solution for use in the Phantom. I just installed one this weekend, will be testing tomorrow.

NqHgsfEl.jpg

Hi I have no luck to find someone in my area (Toronto) to do full set up for my P2 and Taranis ; I do most electronic installation by my self ,generally using web/You Tube assistance ,but to set up radio might be to much for me ; btw that X4R looks like good fit for Phantom.

I just converted my original Phantom 1 onto a FW 450 frame. The only new parts I used are the DJI pod compass/gps, led module and a Hitech Optima receiver. I know they are not the same as what you are using but I found lots of similar info that related to both systems that helped me set up my 450 on my Hitech Aurora 9. I use the Hitech tx for my FW 550 also, now I can use the Hitech 9 to control both rigs. If I can answer any questions let me know.

So, after a day or two reading, buying some rudimentary tools, I have the X8R installed and working in the DJI Phantom 1 after following the directions in this thread:

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthr ... -Naza-M-V2

However, instead of the switches chosen by the noble Gringers (author of that thread), I chose the SE 3 position switch for IOC and the SG 3 position switch for GPS-ATTI-Manual flight mode selection as more closely following the DJI controller switch setup. I also hooked up the gain to pot S1 as described in the thread, but this is only for Manual mode I think. Haven't tried it yet, though I did put the copter into manual mode.

So, best as I can recall, I did the following:

1) Flashed and updated the software on the Taranis itself.

2) Attempted to flash the X8R receiver with the latest update, but fried it when I applied motor power to the S-BUS instead of 4.8v (live and learn). So, I ordered a replacement with the antenna combo (whisker antennas included) which did not need to be flashed. I replaced one of the large antennas with a whisker antenna by popping off the cover of the receiver, removing the glue on one of the large antennas, popping it off from its socket, and popped the replacement into the same socket. Needed a magnifying glass to do this work.

3) Took the Phantom apart. You'll need a 2.5mm hex wrench for this (not a 1.5mm as described in one of the more popular videos - the one with crummy sound), and a tiny PH000x40 Phillips head screwdriver to remove the existing receiver. You'll also need an Xacto knife to cut away the glue from the cable connecting the existing receiver to the NAZA controller.

4) Remove the receiver by unscrewing it and cutting away the glue. Clean the glue from the SBUS connector connecting the DJI receiver to the NAZA controller, you'll use it to connect the X8R to the NAZA. I saved the receiver for some future purpose, which I cannot fathom at present. Maybe it and the DJI controller will come in handy for something someday, but I doubt it.

5) Connect the X8R to the NAZA controller with the receiver cable to the X8R SBus port. I put the whisker antenna outside the Phantom through one of the rubber grommets that go through the center of the legs. The other I snaked around at 90 degrees, next to an ESC.

6) Put the Phantom together again. Remember to reconnect the GPS if you disconnected it. Once you put the legs back on, remember to plug in the compass. If you don't, you won't be able to set up your IOC in the NAZA assistant.

7) Connect the Phantom to your computer with the USB, connect power, fire up the NAZA assistant. You have to test all the stick and switch functions to make sure the switches do what you want. You might have to reverse the direction of a switch in the Taranis controller. I won't repeat the other tutorials here. Remember to turn on IOC in the Advanced menu in the NAZA assistant.

Remember, you have to do a transmitter calibration in the Basic menu of the NAZA Assistant, and you have to do a Compass calibration before flying for the first time.

I also installed the FrSky SP-FLVS - Smart Port Lipo Voltage Sensor from Aloft Hobbies. http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-sp-flvs.html This connects to the balance port on your battery and reports the voltage left on each cell of your 3S battery via X8R telemetry. It's cheap and it works great. On the Taranis telemetry screen, I have set up Radio Signal Strength Indicator (RSSI), DJI Phantom Voltage on main flight battery, lowest cell voltage, Throttle timer, and Taranis battery voltage.

I just did a test flight and all works very well. The availability of RSSI and flight battery voltage telemetry during flight operations gives great peace of mind as I almost always operate the Phantom over water. Now, I can extend the missions a bit with greater confidence.

This experience has added to my skills and knowledge and I would be confident now to get a 3D Robotics X8 knowing I could configure and tune it with this Taranis RC gear.

Great job, and I just realized I never got back to this thread with the guidance you asked for, my apologies! :oops: :oops:

It looks like you got it all going just fine though, and now that you know how to edit and burn eeproms you've seen all the different settings and features you can tinker with.

I haven't looked at the settings you used from that thread, but if you want to take a peek at it the eeprom I'm using with my Phantom is attached (came from another member here, rilot). Set up to mimic the stock switch config on a Phantom controller.

Attachments

• Taranis Phantom.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 406
I have a Taranis and am considering the transmitter switch as well. How did you handle the throttle stick on the taranis vs the dji transmitter which self centers?

Rustysocket said:
I have a Taranis and am considering the transmitter switch as well. How did you handle the throttle stick on the taranis vs the dji transmitter which self centers?

I think you can get the Taranis stick to self-center as well. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=21575

However, I actually like being able to set a constant rate of climb or descent since I've equipped my Phantom with the Frsky Variometer sensor so I can get barometric altitude and climb rates right on the Taranis telemetry display. So I left my Taranis stock.

Hey, thanks for the info. Havent done any telemetry yet. Still muddling through just learning to program it.

Rustysocket said:
Thinking out loud.... seems it would be possible to assign hover to a switch as well with the taranis.

Sure can, I've never used it but I've seen it done...just set your desired switch to override the throttle channel output with an output of 50%. As long as you're in GPS (or even ATTI mode) this should get you to hover anytime the switch is in the programmed position.

Rustysocket, if you're starting to look at telemetry I highly suggest starting with this sensor: http://www.alofthobbies.com/sp-40a.html

That one gives you the most data for your money, it'll show total battery voltage, current draw, mAh consumed, and Wattage used...and its a breeze to connect :)

Paul K said:
OI Photography said:

NqHgsfEl.jpg

Hi I have no luck to find someone in my area (Toronto) to do full set up for my P2 and Taranis ; I do most electronic installation by my self ,generally using web/You Tube assistance ,but to set up radio might be to much for me ; btw that X4R looks like good fit for Phantom.

Hi Paul,

Did you ever find someone in the Toronto area to assist with setting up your P2 with the Taranis? Im in Newmarket and looking for someone as well. I was able to set my P1 up with my Taranis via an eeprom I found on the net. I works well but Im still looking for someone to assist me with my own programming. If you are interested in the eeprom let me know and I can send it to you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues