Taping or sanding to balance props?

Reaction score
I've searched this forum and online and it seems split on whether to sand or add tape to balance a prop.
Same with the hub. Sanding or some add glue.

Is this a personal preference I guess?

I've seen videos where tape is added to the top and some videos added tape underneath. Where would be the best?

Where would be the best?
Tape is the easiest and least permanent. None of the methods are the best though. Use the method that's best for you.

Tape is the easiest and least permanent. None of the methods are the best though. Use the method that's best for you.
I take it that the tape will not cause air disturbance so under or on top doesn't make a difference?

I've never had any trouble with clear Scotch tape on the bottom of the props.

Reactions: SHRED
Is this a personal preference I guess?

Pretty much. Any method should be done on the underside of the blade. Glue, nail polish, tape... whatever floats your boat. I prefer sanding. It's permanent and only has to be done once, but it IS a lot more time consuming and, to do it right, requires multiple grits that you can't usually find at your local hardware store. Tape... CAN come off during flight, but it's quick, cheap, and readily available.

Some will also argue about the merit of balancing or not. Stock DJI props are usually pretty darn near good to go right out of the bag. To serious fliers and photography folks though it's pretty much a no brainer. Balance!

Reactions: SHRED
I sand mine. Old habit I guess plus I don't like looking at the tape. It only takes a few swipes.
Sanding can't fall off either. :D

Reactions: captainmilehigh
On the Phanton 4 I think ballanced props are infinitely more important than a p3. I have a crack that was almost certainly caused by chewed up props vibrating the AC in flight. I didn't know that the p4's were prone to cracking. There were no crashes between the time I got it and the time I noticed the crack. I got it used and the PO did crash it and it chewed up the tips of the props. I didn't have any new props so I flew it like that till new props arrived not knowing it could be an issue. It flew fine but I did notice the vibration when I would hand catch it. I let it fly overhead and I just put one finger on the gear and it was very noticeable. Perhaps I'll make a video showing the difference between trash props and new, well balanced props.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic