Tap to Focus Example

So far, I have only seen questionable sources for this focus feature, and I am not convinced it even exits. For a lens to auto focus, there would need to be sensors either on the drone body, or on the camera that would lock on to and object in the frame.. There would also need to be a motor or some mechanism to adjust the lens or move the whole sensor. Casey whatever his name is mentioned in a tweet that he fixed the focus, but when asked how, he never answered. There is no indication in the Mavic specs either, the camera focuses from X minimum distance to infinity. I guess I will have to wait until I see documentation of this feature, or one of us gets a Mavic to see if this "feature" exists.

The iPhone has autofocus and while I am not quite sure how (VCM or MEMS micro-actuators?), it sure does. I am not sure about the validity of Casey's video review and I would like to see some real life examples, not based on pre-production models. I would honestly be surprised if DJI didn't fix any serious image related issues until it is time for full-scale production.

/// Tom

Will we be able to still use an iPad (mini3 for me) with the Mavic- or is the controller only designed for using with a phone?
I mean it's cool to be ultra portable- but I really never enjoyed using my phone with the P2. I would hate to give up my ability to use a bigger screen such as the iPad or similar.let alone the Hood issue...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I know. Tapping the screen each time we take off is going to be a living nightmare.
It will be just like the PH4 PH# and the Inspire 1 If you look on his screen in the video in the upper right hand corner right under the 3 little dots you see a lock with AE under it. by just taping it you focus will be locked in.
There are numerous way to sett the focus the way you like it. Also it will make MP4, MOV, or RAW videos.

It will be just like the PH4 PH# and the Inspire 1 If you look on his screen in the video in the upper right hand corner right under the 3 little dots you see a lock with AE under it. by just taping it you focus will be locked in.
There are numerous way to sett the focus the way you like it. Also it will make MP4, MOV, or RAW videos.
That is Auto Exposure, not focus.

Reactions: John Locke
That's cool. I have touch focus on my Sony camcorder I got 9 years ago but I have to be in manual mode which I am in most of the time anyway.
Which Sony camcorder? I need to check mine, It's around that old.

Which Sony camcorder? I need to check mine, It's around that old.
It's a DCR-SR82. 25 optical zoom Carl Zeiss lens and 60 GB hard drive. Touch screen and has night shot. It will also take a memory card but I have never used that yet.

All of the new small portable drones are referred to as selfie drones. When the Mavic is in WiFi mode connected to a phone it is for all intents and purposes a selfie drone.
So what you are saying is you're putting the Mavic Pro right alongside Dobby and Breeze? Wow.........

So what you are saying is you're putting the Mavic Pro right alongside Dobby and Breeze? Wow.........
Why are you fighting this phrase so much? Both in DJI's Mavic unveiling and in their ad spots, "drone selfies" are absolutely and unquestionably part of their marketing. It's certainly not "just" a selfie drone, but it still is one, for those who use it for that.

Why are you fighting this phrase so much? Both in DJI's Mavic unveiling and in their ad spots, "drone selfies" are absolutely and unquestionably part of their marketing. It's certainly not "just" a selfie drone, but it still is one, for those who use it for that.
That's what I said in a previous post, maybe another topic, in reply to someone who came on and simply classified it as a selfie drone. All I am saying is that the Mavic Pro isn't a selfie drone. Yes, there's a function for it, awesome. As a group of drone enthusiasts it would be a shame to pigeon hole it into the "selfie drone" group. There's a lot more to it than that.

That's pretty much the only point I've been trying to make.

That's what I said in a previous post, maybe another topic, in reply to someone who came on and simply classified it as a selfie drone. All I am saying is that the Mavic Pro isn't a selfie drone. Yes, there's a function for it, awesome. As a group of drone enthusiasts it would be a shame to pigeon hole it into the "selfie drone" group. There's a lot more to it than that.

That's pretty much the only point I've been trying to make.
...so what if people do? As I've mentioned, a sizable part of their marketing is to get people to buy these for that purpose, and many of those people will only use it for that. If that's how people want to classify it, I don't see why you're taking it like a personal insult.

Would you be as equally angry if someone called the Phantom a 'mapping drone'? Or a 'search and rescue drone'? We all know these aren't single-function devices. It is a selfie drone, if that's what you use it for. That phrase doesn't belittle the device, or you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj