Talked to FAA at the CES Show

Reaction score
I stopped in at the FAA booth at the CES show (not far from the UAV booth area - imagine that!)

I tried to impress upon them that guidelines/rules should be reasonable. The example I used was flying for commercial use on private property, or at my own events - which they currently claim the airspace too, even below 400 feet.

I expressed that if the rules were going to be unreasonable, such as requiring a Private pilots License then then 10% of the users might conform, while the rest would ignore them as most are doing now. Personally I do not mind going through some 'official" training and getting checked out in some way (or being the one checking out other new pilots!), but it needs to be reasonable and relevant to the industry.... not how to fly a Cessna.

In my view the issue should be strictly how to manage the airspace, not force a real estate agent (or whatever) to have a PPL or somthing outlandish like that.

I asked "what is considered airspace on private property" and she affirmed that in the eyes of the FAA anything off the ground period is under FAA rules.... meaning one inch off the ground.

The whole commercial vs hobby thing to me is ridiculous anyway. It's going to be the ones who are flying without instruction or for the first time that will usually be unknowing about the dangers and common sense practices that should be followed.

Anyway, she was actually fairly open to listening and she affirmed that a ruling (that will then be open for public comment) should be coming "soon".

Cross your fingers and be ready to comment...

very informative, I agree with all that and am glad someone said it directly to the FAA. Did she actually care / will do anything about it? probably not :)

they are supposed to have the new proposal "soon" but just the other day someone posted a thread with 2 legit news links where the FAA is saying the new proposed rules won't be implemented until 2017!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32696

It's worth a try but I am not holding out much hope for swaying the FAA directly. Unless you have Boeing or General Dynamics on your badge, we're not important to them.

It's smart PR for them to put personable people on the show floor. It says "I'm listening". In reality they're standing there nodding their head. It's going to take a lambasting from the White House and/or Congress to get Huerta and his curmudgeons to consider anything other than FAA business as usual.

That may sound cynical but I am pretty sure that's what it is. Money and power. Money and power.

Well, if you aren't cynical about anything a government agency says, give it time, you will feel that way after some experience.

Like masturbation, you may have felt better after but it really did nothing.

LandYachtMedia said:
Well, if you aren't cynical about anything a government agency says, give it time, you will feel that way after some experience.

Like masturbation, you may have felt better after but it really did nothing.

:)

Please be sure and post in the correct area. I have moved this for you from 'News' to 'General Discussion'.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4