Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

talked someone out of the vision +

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dragonash, Jun 13, 2014.

1. dragonash

And into a phantom 2 or 1.

I'm currently on my way home from vacation but was flying my fc40 over a vineyard yesterday when the owners son came up to me asking about it and how he was going to get the "$1300" version.

I told him no way! Not as your first quad. And I explained how DJI support is non existent and if you break anything on it like the camera or gimbal, you essentially have to buy a new quad or lose it for months while china repairs it and charges you.

I told him he is better off buying a phantom 1or 2 and modding it. Add your own cheap gimbal and go pro' both of which can be easily replaced if broken. But before anything else, I directed him to a cheap hubsan quad. Once he practices with that, then he can move up to the bigger stuff.

Hopefully I saved someone from losing $1300!

2. Happyflyer

Good points. But if he buys a cheap hubsan and it flies as bad as mine, he will more than likely not buy anything else.

3. kydan

Dji are sort of fool proof to an extent. Everything else requires much more attention and having to control all 4+ channels at once.

4. adanac

This is EXACTLY why you should start on a smaller, cheaper, harder quad.

I will probably get out of Phantoms altogether and go to the F450 for flying a GoPro. Many advantages there.

5. dragonash

Learn how to properly control the hubsan and you will handle atti mode with no issues

6. Nidge

Like many others I have found that the Hubsan X4 is a great little quad to learn and improve your skills. I made all my mistakes on the Hubsan and to date I have yet to even scuff a prop on my Phantom or F550 Hex.

On the subject of the Visions and the FC40 these are somewhat of a loners quad. The frequencies used for control and video are a complete contradiction to the rest of the RC World. In a recent video by RCGroups, where they were maidening a new fixed wing FPV platform, the reviewer lost his video link due to someone starting up a Phantom Vision at the flying field.

I'm not knocking those who have chosen a Vision or FC40, they are still very good platforms, but if you intend to fly at a FPV gathering be prepared to adopt the persona of a redheaded stepchild.

Regards

Nidge

7. Nidge

The Vision, Vision Plus, and the FC40 use the same frequencies within the 5.8GHz ISM band (5.725GHz - 5.875GHz) for control that are used for video transmission in conventional FPV flying. You can hear the reviewers experience and how he concluded that it was interference from a DJI Phantom Vision that knocked out his video from about 14 mins into the video

http://youtu.be/N_N8PlZwQXA

Regards

Nidge