Taking your phantom on a plane

Reaction score
Hi folks. Planning on taking my phantom overseas to do some filming. Just wondered if anyone ran into any problems with taking this kind device on has hand luggage instead of putting in a suitcase and hoping for the best ?

I suspect the battery might be of concern for airport security. They always tend to be anti batteries when going through their scanners.

:)

I've flown to Canada and within the US with my P2V+ in a carry on backpack. No problems on any of the flights. Headed for Dubai and Nepal in a couple of weeks! Search the forum though - people have had problems in specific places. Brazil IIRC.

Airline security have particular issues with LiPo batteries because they are more volatile and have caused a few incidents. They usually only allow them as carry-on. I would check with the airline, and also check the situation for the country you're going to. Some "friendly" countries are not drone friendly.

It would help if you stated a location where you're headed. I've flown in the states with it with no trouble.

Peru is a no-no from what I understand.

+1 on carrying your batteries. I would look into some LiPo-safe bags. Someone's Phantom battery caught on fire a couple weeks ago on an international flight. Made worldwide headlines... so buy the LiPo bags.

Is a single bag per battery recommended, or can you put a couple batteries in each bag?

edonovanl said:
Is a single bag per battery recommended, or can you put a couple batteries in each bag?

I don't know the answer to that YET. I ordered a bag to go with my KillerRC gimbal protector two days ago. I only have two batteries so I'm hoping to get away with just one but we will see how it goes. I think the bag will be okay as it is 9x11.5 or something like that. If I need to order another, I WILL.

Every airline have got their guidelines on carrying LiPo but they are mostly the same. Under a certain watt hour rating in this case the Phantom 2 batteries, one can be stored in the Phantom and checked in, the balance are classified as spares and must be hand carried.

It is recommended to have the batteries sealed individually in a zip lock back to prevent moisture and kept in a LiPo fireproof bag.

Your concern about having multiples in one fire proof bag, well if one ignites, it will ignite the rest. Then that one bag may not be sufficient to contain the fire. I'll say though, having at least one bag is better than no bag.

Hi folks. Planning on taking my phantom overseas to do some filming. Just wondered if anyone ran into any problems with taking this kind device on has hand luggage instead of putting in a suitcase and hoping for the best ?

I suspect the battery might be of concern for airport security. They always tend to be anti batteries when going through their scanners.

:)
I carried mine as hand luggage in a hard waterproof case on a flight to Dubai - batteries in a lipo bag in the case. Only problem came when I arrived at Dubai and was taken to security to open the case and explain why I had it etc. Not a problem though as they actually sell P2V+ in Dubai duty free so once that was explained, I was free to carry on my way.

Do a search here. There is a huge thread on international travel and a list of places that allow and don't allow them.

I've flown internationally with a P2V+ and 4 batteries in a carry-on backpack in November 2014:
  • SFO to Singapore via Hong Kong (including security in HK)
  • Singapore to Yangon
  • numerous flights within Myanmar with xrays at each departure and arrival
  • Yangon to Vientiane via Bangkok (including security in BKK)
  • Vientiane to SFO via Siem Reap, Ho Chi Minh, and Taipei (including security at each of those stops)
A month ago someone left a comment on my Myanmar videos saying his drone was confiscated in Yangon on arrival.

I bought a GPC carry-on friendly hard case for my P2 so that I could fly while on vacation in Las Vegas with my girlfriend. I put the potentially dangerous and banned screwdriver in my luggage, but carried everything else including three batteries, the Flysight Black Pearl, Hero3+ camera with two extra batteries, chargers, etc. as carry-on in the case. I had to take my laptop out of its case to be x-rayed separately, but I left the drone case closed as it went through the scanner. Nothing was searched, I didn't have to take the bird out of the cage, zip, nada! Odd that I STILL had to take the laptop out, though!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair