Taking stills while shooting video question

Reaction score
Hello All,
Longtime lurker, first time poster. Super impressed by the knowledge and curtesy in this forum.

Short bio; Played with toy drones awhile (couple of years), got one stuck in a tree, decided to search the web for ideas alternate to my chainsaw or shotgun to get it down. Ran across a DJI ad/video and couldn't believe something like that was available to the general public. Came across this forum and started reading every post and decided I wasn't smart enough/ tech savvy enough or knowledgeable enough about photography to be able to handle a "real" drone like these.....then along comes the p4p....idiot proof (sort of) and automatic enough for me to handle.

I've had my p4p since February and flown about 90 flights. I have updated everything every time I've been prompted to and haven't had any issues (that I know about). I read all the manuals, watched all the videos and I continue to follow the forum and can typically find an answer or idea at least where to look for it if I need to. I bought a iPad mini4 (cellular) that is used exclusively for the p4p. I also recently bought a 2 terebyte external hard drive to save the space eating video to. My wife has affectionately named my p4p "$$moneypit$$".

On to my question; when I first started I could take a picture while filming video. A button was on the screen, when pushed it gave the shutter and film advance sound and recorded a still. Then I took it on a camping trip, and again to an event my son was in with his work. I had to toggle between video & camera to take stills on both occasions each time thinking I needed to go figure out what I changed or what settings had gotten changed during an update that wouldn't let it take pictures while video was running (even though it sounded like it was, disappointed both times to discover there were actually no pictures, even on the sd card). We're prepping for a large group camping trip next week so I'm doing a shake down on $$moneypit$$ so all systems are go with no glitches when we get there. I noticed the threads about the firmware update so I did it this morning, no issues (yet, haven't flown yet). I decided to figure out the video/stills issue while I was at it and here I am. All day with no progress and no better understanding. I've read everything I could find on here and on the web. I can push the button on the screen (while video is recording) and it makes the sound as though it took a picture, but it didn't. I read in one of the post to use the button on the rc so I did and immediately noticed the circle dimming/spinning on the screen, and in fact it took a picture so it still has the capability. Why won't the button on the screen in the app do it now? I'm guessing it's user error in settings somewhere but I can't figure it out. I knew I would post here someday but I figured it would be for a lost drone or a crash, not a camera issue.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Ps. State Farm insurance in Va, full purchase amount no deductible $49 a year and he said no questions asked if I were to completely loose the ac & file a claim...I found that thanks to the PhantomPilots forum! Thanks again!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl