Taking still images from phantom 2 w/H3-D3 and GoPro 3+Black

Reaction score
I just purchased my quadcopter equipment and have been trying to find out how to take still images, since the camera's wi fi is off. To take video footage, I'm assuming one just manually turns the camera on before flight. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am a professional photographer, specializing in architectural photography and video. Thanks.

Re: Taking still images from phantom 2 w/H3-D3 and GoPro 3+B

Gopro has a timelapse function, easiest way is to just set it taking a snap at an interval you are happy with.

I have used the remote but its range is limited, so timelapse works best for me. Does make more work to look through however.

you are correct that since you don't have wifi control of the device (you do NOT want to fly with wifi on!) to start recording anything you need to press the button before takeoff... I'd recommend pressing it before you turn on the propellers ;)

The GoPro is capable of taking stills and video at the same time "Simultaneous Photo and Video mode" however there are some restrictions, see the chart below for which video resolutions yield which photo results:
Simultaneous-vid-photo.png

I'm not intimately familiar with this settings, but many people around here say the still you get in photo+video mode aren't quite the same quality you get in the photo-only modes, so alternately you could just put the gopro in time lapse photo-only mode, have it taking a photo every 1, 2, 5 etc seconds.

If you have a live FPV system on your Phantom there are some quirks: I can confirm personally in Photo+Video mode the video feed "blanks" briefly (half a second maybe) when the gopro take a picture. so if you have your photos every 2 seconds you'll get a blackout every 2 seconds, it's kind of annoying so I had it take a photo every 5 seconds and it was more manageable.

I can NOT confirm people are saying live FPV video does not work at all in photo-only mode so that's a bummer if true. I hope to test that out in the next few days

I have never done both at the same time. But I did the pic every 5sec and it was mildly annoying how my screen flashed every pic.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess another way to obtain a still image would be in video post-production where one can capture a frame from a video clip. I'll have to try once I am up and running. Thanks again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4