Taking pictures while recording video?

Reaction score
I used to be able to take pictures and record video at the same time. Great feature!!! I few weeks ago took a bunch of pictures while recording video. Well, I thought I did. I later went through what I did for the day and only saw pictures that I took when I wasn't recording video. The same thing happened a few days ago. Am I missing something? Maybe a setting changed?

Are you sure you were recording video? The Video icon is red whilst the camera icon is white. You switch between the two using the circular icon above the camera/video icon.

Its easy to miss that.

Yes. I was recording and hit the button on the screen to take a pic. That's how I've done it before.

Hmmmm you press the button on the front to start video recording if its red. Or take a photo if its white.. You can also start video recording by pressing the button on the rear, outside right. Then take a picture by pressing the button on the rear, next to the video start button. If you managed to take a picture by hitting the button on the front then I would surmise that you were in camera mode not video mode. Unless someone else knows different. ;)

Just re-read that its not exactly clear.

Button on screen White. Press to take photo
Button on screen Red. Press to start/stop video

If button on screen is Red then press button at rear on the right side. Not the outside red one the blank silver one next to it. That will take photo whilst video is recording.

Last edited:
I'm looking at it now. White button to take pictures or you can flip it so there is a red button for video. There is a white button above the red one while recording video. I press that to take a picture while it records. I just tried it while typing this in my computer room. It recorded video but no pictures when I pushed the white button to take pictures. It even makes the picture taking sound when I push the button.

I didn't imagine being able to do this :) I stumbled across the feature one day and was really happy to be able to do it.

Can anyone else do this?

Yes. Once.

Ok lets start with video button being displayed. The red round one. Above it a hollow circle with arrows.

You start recording. Red round goes to red square in circle. The button above goes from arrow circle to white button.

You now tap the white button above red square in circle. It takes a photo. It also sends it from video mode, it stops the video, to photograph mode. From this point on video is stopped as its now in photo mode. So basically if you tap that button your changing from video mode to photo mode.

If while your recording video, red square showing, you want to take a photo use the button, I mentioned before, at the rear of the camera. NOT the white button on the front.

Round the back of the Remote on the right are two buttons. Click the plain silver on on the inside. This will take a photo whilst your recording a video.

The other button on the right, the one with two lines, just pauses everything, handy button if your about to get into trouble.

Hope this makes it a little clearer and it helps.

Give it a go and get back to me. :)

FrankC

Last edited:
Isn't the so called photo, captured during video recording, just a .jpg frame extract from the video, and not a full resolution DNG, even if your still settings are set to DNG only?

Yep 100% right. Its merely an instant video capture. I use VLC media player, free, to capture stills from the video now. I wondered for ages why the camera was not taking DNG, RAW, even though I kept setting it on that. It is handy though to pause the drone. Tap the white square to take a photo. Then restart video and continue.

For those that are wondering what on earth this 'RAW' is on about and if its worth it then please CLICK HERE and scroll down the page to the pretty pictures.

The stills extracted from 4K video afterwards allow you to pick the best, sharpest frame, rather than the random one selected by the button press during flight. Also, you can choose no compression, or 100% quality, so you end up with a much higher quality jpg for post processing in LR. Mine start out at about 6-8 MB on average.

Yes. Once.

Ok lets start with video button being displayed. The red round one. Above it a hollow circle with arrows.

You start recording. Red round goes to red square in circle. The button above goes from arrow circle to white button.

You now tap the white button above red square in circle. It takes a photo. It also sends it from video mode, it stops the video, to photograph mode. From this point on video is stopped as its now in photo mode. So basically if you tap that button your changing from video mode to photo mode.

If while your recording video, red square showing, you want to take a photo use the button, I mentioned before, at the rear of the camera. NOT the white button on the front.

Round the back of the Remote on the right are two buttons. Click the plain silver on on the inside. This will take a photo whilst your recording a video.

The other button on the right, the one with two lines, just pauses everything, handy button if your about to get into trouble.

Hope this makes it a little clearer and it helps.

Give it a go and get back to me. :)

FrankC

Thanks for the info! I'm going to check that out later today. Either way, I'm not getting photos when I tap the white button. The only thing I can think of is my iPad is getting low on memory (64GB with 1.5 left) so all of these functions might be to much for it. I'll replace it would a 512GB iPad Pro next month.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers