taking photos while video is on

Reaction score
hi
is there a way to take photos while the video is on?
or you should always stop video->go to camera mode->take photo?

Yes, you must stop the video and switch back to camera mode.

Reactions: Azmopic
While the quality won't be as good as RAW, you could pull stills from the recorded video later.

Yea, I always suspect that the quality will be low than taking straight still image from the drone's cam

Its only a matter of pressing one button with one finger on remote to stop video and pressing the shutter button with other finger on rc, not really a gardship

Sent from my GT-I9505 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
and also switching to photo mode in the app or else pressing the button will not help..

Switching from video to take a picture with the remotes buttons and switching back using the buttons on the remote isn't terrible all agree. However what is terrible is taken a few pictures flew around a few times to get a few more pictures, moving to a different position and forgetting to push the record button for video.....when it happens more than once or twice it's a really really annoying.... just saying...

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

One would not think it would be that difficult for DJI to implement an auto return to video recording. It could be a menu option.
If recording video and still image button is pressed. Take the picture and restart video recording.

Rumors has it, the newer Phantom 4 is going to allow taking pictures while shooting video like in the iPhones. It is not clear if this is going to be an option on the existing P4 with a fw upgrade.

Yea, I always suspect that the quality will be low than taking straight still image from the drone's cam
Actually, I find very little difference in video grabs after Photoshoping them, and the best part is you can pick which frame(s) are best.
Yes there is a slight difference , but for most photos it's good.
I'm shooting 4k and if I plan to get photos set the shutter slightly higher eg. 1/100
As others have said it's easy to stop video recording and snap a shot with the button then immediately start record again.

While the quality won't be as good as RAW, you could pull stills from the recorded video later.

I do that all the time. For whatever reason I find more interesting images in my video than when I paused to actually shoot a still. The quality is usually good enough to throw up on Facebook or other social media.

Reactions: Eddyfisher
I pull 99% of my stills when post editing. As mentioned, you can be very selective in choosing the right frame. I haven't noticed any reduction in quality when compared to the stills I've taken directly with the P4

I guess you're referring to JPG stills? If so, the quality is nearly identical to my eye too. It's certainly no replacement for RAW photos though.

Reactions: GFields
I guess you're referring to JPG stills? If so, the quality is nearly identical to my eye too. It's certainly no replacement for RAW photos though.

Yes, JPG and PNG. I agree, there is nothing better than RAW.

To grab a picture from video once mission is completed what software do you use that allows you to turn it into a jpeg giving you the option to go frame by frame. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

To grab a picture from video once mission is completed what software do you use that allows you to turn it into a jpeg giving you the option to go frame by frame. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Any screen capture utility can do that, such as WinSnap for PC.

This below is an example of capture anything on the computer screen.
upload_2016-11-14_9-38-57.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31